Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IS300 LS1/T56 Daily Driver Build

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 09:28 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eng1nerd
Unfortunately no A/C updates. My wife and I have been getting ready for the arrival of our first child in April and that has consumed ALL of my time lately.

On the upside she and I a both agree at the car needs to be done (A/C, MAF, tuning, etc) before we become parents so I have a rapidly approaching deadline to get these loose ends wrapped up.

I did spend a few hours last week finalizing all the OBD2 wiring in the car. When it was tuned there was just a temporary plug wired under the hood.
Awesome! Congratulations on the up coming baby!
When you do get around to the car, I cannot wait to see the updates and how you did the AC.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's been a while since I had a real update. I've been driving the car daily for several months now and am to the point where the projects I have left are easily done on weekends.

A few weeks back I finally got my OBD2 port hooked up in the car. It had been just temporary under the hood.

This weekend was brakes. I noticed there was a pretty bad lip on the edge of all 4 rotors so I figured it was tine. I got drilled and slotted rotors with ceramic pads all the way around. I know there are mixed feelings about these, and the guys that do like them always have a preferred brand. I have used parts from Brake Motiv (ebay seller) in the past and have always been happy so that is where these came from.

Here is the rear.

And the front.

[

I have also known for some time now that I need solid subframe mounts. The diff. mounts I made help with the rear end rocking but moved all that force to the subframe and have worn them out. While I had the rear wheels off I took a look and as you can see there is a pretty big gap between the metal and rubber that I'm confident isn't supposed to be there. This is on the project list to get done in the next few weeks.

Old 02-11-2014, 02:03 PM
Teching In

great write up
Old 04-24-2014, 06:38 AM
Teching In

still no ac? started my swap last night .. was hoping someone actually had ac working correctly... and will post start thread when i get more intoit but pretty sure i have found a aftermarket oil pan that requires no cutting .. looks like it was made for the is300
Old 04-26-2014, 05:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by strokedcoupe
still no ac? started my swap last night .. was hoping someone actually had ac working correctly... and will post start thread when i get more intoit but pretty sure i have found a aftermarket oil pan that requires no cutting .. looks like it was made for the is300
Still no A/C but that is my project for tomorrow since it keeps getting hotter here. I looked at it briefly last weekend but didn't have much time to spend on it. I should make some headway tomorrow.
Old 04-26-2014, 06:40 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by strokedcoupe
Do share deatils on this pan
Old 07-13-2014, 07:44 PM
On The Tree

Been way too long since I updated, been pretty busy with work and family. Anyhow here is what I've done lately.

Getting ready for our baby (who is now 4 months old), the Lexus got a car seat.

Over the winter I discovered I was slowly loosing coolant. Turns out the barb I had installed for the steam lines was leaking at the threads. I just turned a new barb out of aluminum and got it welded in at work.

I knew all along that the filter I had put on the intake was too small so I finally upgraded to the biggest size I could fit without going through the hood or fender well.

You can see on the right side of this picture where I added a GM MAF into the intake. Still don't have the car retuned to utilize this but at least it is mounted and wired.

At some point along the way I decided I should check the cabin air filter...I'm glad I did and kinda wish I had the day I bought the car.

Finally what so many have been wondering about. A/C. I got all the lines made up (and somehow forgot to take pictures of them. I also got the GM side wired with a relay and the factory pressure sensor. Took it over to a buddies shop to get charged and got cold air out of the vents. Then popped the high pressure relief on the back of the compressor. It seems like the system us building pressure and the sensor isn't shutting the compressor off as it should. I'm suspecting either a bad sensor, or poor choice of location for the sensor in the system (on my part). I still have work to do here but at least have light at the end of the tunnel since I felt cold air!

Old 07-13-2014, 08:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 202 Likes on 122 Posts

That is soo bad *** !

Congrats on the Baby !!!
Old 07-13-2014, 09:22 PM
TECH Resident

Cool to see an update. Congrats on the baby and not sure how yo fit a car seat in there, those back seats are tiny
Old 07-14-2014, 11:04 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Verz
Cool to see an update. Congrats on the baby and not sure how yo fit a car seat in there, those back seats are tiny
You aren't kidding. Her head rest and mine just about touch. Fortunately I'm only about 5' 9", If I were much taller there wouldn't be room.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Impressive work, and way to stick with it to finish everything up. Hopefully the AC is a simple fix.

I wouldn't be surprised if that original little air filter was responsible for some of the 80 "missing" horsepower.

Congrats on the baby, too!
Old 07-14-2014, 06:31 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by eng1nerd
You aren't kidding. Her head rest and mine just about touch. Fortunately I'm only about 5' 9", If I were much taller there wouldn't be room.
Yea at 6' I was sitting behind the b pillar which started to get annoying getting in and out and couldnt see myself spending the cash on the swap if I didnt even want to get in and out of it. Ill still keep an eye on this
Old 07-15-2014, 09:24 AM
TECH Resident

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi,
really neat swap - impressive how you charged through the wiring integration. I enjoyed reading all of the pages. Just a note, the normal AN lines aren't rated for the pressures seen in power steering applications (at least domestic pumps / racks which range from 900 to 1500 psi). Burst pressure is different than their working pressure.

Aeroquip, Earl's etc all sell a different line of products for use in power steering applications.
It turns out, I think they re-sell Eaton's hose ends.
Another heads up, most of the manufacturers make a braided AN hose for fuel, engine oil, trans coolers, etc. with a nylon braided exterior (I've only seen black). It is MUCH easier to work with than the stainless braided. The braided stainless hose is indeed a pain in the ***. Clearly, you got it figured out, though.

I wonder if it will make more power with the MAF? Suspect maybe the rear axles with their CV joints eat a bit of power (vs. a live axle). Can't imagine more than 10 HP, though.

Again, awesome project and congrats on the baby (I understand old news). My kids (6.5 & 2.5) love riding in my old '51 Ford truck with the L92 / 6L80 combo. I take them to car shows, which is a real treat for me (and hopefully them).

Doug
Old 08-15-2014, 11:18 AM
On The Tree

I feel like a complete moron, but it's ok because I now have working A/C!

What I discovered was that the line I recycled from the Trans Am with the pressure transducer also housed the orifice tube. Not only was it not needed, it was backwards. I pulled that, recharged the system and now have nice COLD air.
Old 09-15-2014, 03:55 PM
On The Tree

I'm a week late at this point but oh well. I took the car to LS Fest again this year. My buddy even went with me again, even after spending last years trip under the car working on it. The weather was great. Saw some familiar faces again from last year. And...we didn't have to work on the car! Enjoy a few pics I snapped.

Old 09-17-2014, 11:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Awesome work. Do you think the car picked up and power after you swapped the air filters? I know you were bummed about your dyno numbers. When I saw that the first thing I thought about was that air filter.

Very cool swap.
Old 09-18-2014, 04:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
Awesome work. Do you think the car picked up and power after you swapped the air filters? I know you were bummed about your dyno numbers. When I saw that the first thing I thought about was that air filter.

Very cool swap.
I'm not sure about changing the filter. I can say between the filter and gutting the cats though it feels like a 400 HP car! It breaths a lot better now.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:37 AM
TECH Regular

I just started this swap this weekend, I'll let you know how it goes
Old 10-12-2014, 07:43 AM
Staging Lane

nice conversion bud

Quick Reply: IS300 LS1/T56 Daily Driver Build