Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 S10... 5.3/4l60e swap with air ride

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 04:34 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default 97 S10... 5.3/4l60e swap with air ride

I'm building this truck for a friend. We started off with a wrecked 91 S10 to use for parts, and then a 97', frame, cab, bed, body panels ETC. I'm essentially building this truck from scratch.

The build will consist of the following:

2004 5.3/4l60
H3 oil pan
Current Performance motor mounts

Suspension/bag setup:
Beltech drop spindles
Notched stock lower control arms
Speedway G-body/S10 tubular uppers
10" Step notch/bridge kit from Thor Bro's
9" SS bags front and rear
1/2" SMC valves with 3/8" line
5 Gallon "skinny" air tank
2 Viair 440 compressors
Metal Worx custom fuel cell
Wishbone 3 link rear suspension

After some searching, got a hookup from a buddy down in SC, scored us a 97 frame, cab, and bed. We headed down and loaded it up on to the trailer and brought it home.

Next came the idea to do a little something extra, so we scored a 5.3/4l60 from a local forum member and loaded it up in my truck and brought it back to the shop.

Then we tore down the old truck and scavanged whatever parts that were still good that we needed, luckily the majority of the 3 link was still good and the bridge/notches were the only damaged parts which we couldnt really re-use anyways

Now for the fun stuff. Started off with a bare frame which was nice. Cut out the front spring pockets to make room for the bags, got the 3 link and wishbone brackets measure and put on, kit was originally a bolt on kit but we decided to go ahead and burn it in on this frame. Got it back to a roller to do some measuring before we cut the rear C-notches out.

Old 06-15-2013, 04:35 PM
10 Second Club

A lot of measuring to make sure the step notches were perfect on both sides. Going to finish weld them in today and cut the insides out. Did manage to get everything cut and tached in, which took longer than I wanted. We also welded in a rear brace/crossmember to mount the valves and compressors to. We are doing a stock floor raised bed on this project, so the bed will look stock accept the top of the factory wheel tubs will be at the bottom part of the bed rails, should look nice and clean.

Old 06-15-2013, 04:38 PM
10 Second Club

Got the step notch finished and stock frame cut out. Bridge, and upper bag mounts on, as well as notched the stock lowers so the bags wont rub on them when aired out.

Old 07-02-2013, 04:40 PM
10 Second Club

With the chassis work all done i moved on to the electrical side to tackle a few things. I started off with a 2003 drive by wire tahoe pcm an wiring harness. Stripped it down, removed un needed wiring. Then i converted it to a cable driven style by adding an IAC and TPS wiring. I also converted from the ev6 truck injector plugs to ev1 style to use a factory fbody rail and injectors and converted the 5 wire MAF plug to 2 separate plugs for MAF and IAT. Next came making everything custom length to be a very precise fit that was barely visable when connected which consisted of shortening/lengthening practically every wire in the harness.The last portion was to make the harness a stand alone unit. I wanted it to look factory, so after scouring a junkyard for a fuse box/relay box i came across exactly what i needed. Headlight and ac/fan relay boxes from a 97 geo prism. 4 relays and 5 fuses between the two which is exactly what i needed to power the harness.All i have left to do is get some automive grade harness tape and its conpletely done.

Geo Prism fuse/relay boxes

Wires removed from the harness, most are the tac module/dbw wiring

All that remained from the harness, time to lengthen/shorten!

Harness layed out, almost invisible with the black intake/valve covers/coils

Backside runs under the intake and over the cam sensor. I relocated the grounds to the front driver head to make removal and installation easier, especially since its going in an s-10 and firewall clearance is tight.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Really good work on the chassis part! Should be a blast to ride.

Quick Reply: 97 S10... 5.3/4l60e swap with air ride