Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pickup Tube O-Ring

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 07:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pickup Tube O-Ring

So after reading, i'm 90% sure I know what my issue is. I just want some experienced opinions before I go to the trouble of doing this.

Car is a 64 Beaumont (Canadian Chevelle), L33/4l60E with 90000 Kms on it, with the LH8 Oil pan.

Finally got it started for the first time today. Oil pressure at start is 25 to 30 psi. Runs beautifully for about 3 minutes then slowly develops a slight knock in the oil pan seemingly close to the front of the engine. Oil pressure doesn't drop any when it starts to get noisy. The oil pressure gauge responds with throttle, but when it starts to make noise obviously I shut it down.

I removed the oil filter and tried a different one. No change, no metal debris in the oil.

Oil pressure gauge doesnt seem to flutter, and reponds when I press the throttle. When I star the car the oil pressure rises immediately.

Im guessing when I changed the pan and pick up, I pinched the O Ring? Things seem quiet up top if it matters.

If this be the case does anyone have a part# for the O ring? It was red. (Edit)The part number I found is 12584922? Also, im guessing that it would be worthwhile to buy the pickup tube girdle as well?

Am I on the right track, or is this possibly a worse scenario?

Thanx in advance

Last edited by 64Velle; 06-17-2013 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Found a part #
Old 06-17-2013, 09:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it's already knocking... you may just have bad bearings... even w/ low oil pressure at start up it shouldn't immediately start knocking.

The o-ring and tube wouldn't be bad to replace as a start, but I would suspect it's bearing and hope for the best.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the exact same engine/oil pan combo and I used the o-ring supplied with the oil pan and have had no issues, the previous owner had oil pressure issues (engine has 200k miles) and all I did was replace the oil pump and problem was solved...I would check the oring just to be sure as well as disassembling the oil pump to make sure everything's kosher...
Old 06-17-2013, 09:47 PM
Teching In

Thanks. It's really strange for the first few minutes it's running its silent, then slowly the noise develops as it warms up. At startup 25 - 30 psi seems low to me no? I have had an 07 Sierra and currently have a 12 Sierra, and they both read higher than that at startup.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As long as you have 10psi for every 1000rpm that's the bare minimum...my high mileage motor has 40psi at start, 30psi hot, and like 25psi after beating its *** lol
Old 07-16-2013, 11:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the same thing happen on a trailblazer. We pulled it apart, it was a bearing issue.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:49 PM
TECH Resident

If its quiet until it warms up, I'd say its a bearing.

Does it get louder if you rev it a little?

Quick Reply: Pickup Tube O-Ring