Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'82 Supra 6.0, S480, glide, 3.45s

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 11:53 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '82 Supra 6.0, S480, glide, 3.45s

So I figured it was about time to create the build thread for this. The rundown is I bought an '82 back in December with 23k original miles. It had a GM V6 put in back in the 80's and then had sat in climate controlled storage since '92. The body and interior are almost mint. It came with beefed up rear suspension with a corvette zr1 rear end(Dana 44) with 3.45 gears and a big 4 core aluminum radiator. Here is how it looked when I picked it up.

The engine bay is pretty normal. The previous V6 had the motor mounts/stands made to fit on the stock cross member. I just bought some s10 V6 mounts to slide into the stands and then universal v8 to ls motor plates and it bolted right up.

Old 06-18-2013, 12:27 AM
Launching!

I dropped in a LQ4 truck motor that has upgraded valve springs, head studs, cam, oil pump, timing chain, pushrods, rockers, rod bolts and ls6 intake. Full fuel system from Nasty N8 (Magnafuel 4303, -10 feed/-8 return, 1/2" sump kit, pre/post filters, regulator, fuel rails, the good stuff). The turbo is an S480 with Precision 66mm Race wastegate, JGS 60mm BOV, eBay intercooler. Will be running Holley Dominator. Transmission is a glide with a brake and PTC converter. I went with some Dirty Dingo accessory brackets. I tried to retain the radiator since it is a nice piece, though I knew clearance would be close.

Had the tank sumped while waiting for the fuel system to come in.

Finally the rest of the system is here so the game plan for the week is to get the lines made and mount the catch can, overflow tank and run the power wires from the battery in the hatch.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:25 AM
8 Second Club

Received 120 Likes on 89 Posts

Sweet combo!
Old 07-04-2013, 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Can't wait to see it completed!!
Old 07-05-2013, 09:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

always loved the look of those cars, cool build !!!
Old 07-05-2013, 09:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

You plan the D44 to last?
Old 07-05-2013, 11:11 AM
Tig
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome build and holy crap score on that ride. Super clean.
Looks like it had some nice upgrades over the years.
I'm in for this one.

Subd
Old 07-05-2013, 12:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by rotary1307cc
Sweet combo!
Originally Posted by WS Sick
Can't wait to see it completed!!
Originally Posted by oange ss
always loved the look of those cars, cool build !!!

Originally Posted by Tig
Awesome build and holy crap score on that ride. Super clean.
Looks like it had some nice upgrades over the years.
I'm in for this one.

Subd
Thanks. I hope it finishes out how I envision it. Still a lot of work left.

Originally Posted by 3.8redbird
You plan the D44 to last?
It'll last just fine for what I plan to do with it. Not looking to track the car so it won't be an issue.
Old 07-05-2013, 01:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Trl_ws6
It'll last just fine for what I plan to do with it. Not looking to track the car so it won't be an issue.
Just be sure to have good bumpstops. Wheel hop and angle from the squat kill the halfshafts and pumpkin
Old 07-05-2013, 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Love that body style!,You have A/C!!!!
Old 07-15-2013, 12:21 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 3.8redbird
Just be sure to have good bumpstops. Wheel hop and angle from the squat kill the halfshafts and pumpkin
Duly noted. I have read tons on how easily it is to kill an IRS rear end.

Originally Posted by MillsMotorvation
Love that body style!,You have A/C!!!!
AC, Heat, power steering. Just basic street car stuff.

So no new updates. Been in the process of moving which required me to drop everything back in the car and load it up with the racks of parts I have waiting to go in. Got the motor back in and was going to attach the exhaust manifolds and ran into clearance issues. Emailed Dirty Dingo and doesn't look like its going anywhere. The accessory brackets are great but this is the 3rd time I have emailed them regarding something small and cannot get a clear answer. Basically the alternator/power steering bracket should be able to flip a ls1 camaro manifold around for a turbo setup. I have one off of an '98 Camaro and it doesn't clear. Looks Like I will probably just run a C6 manifold on the drivers side now for simplistic sake. Just a little rant.

Update with all of the clearance I have even with the deep tranny pan. Shouldn't be an issue.

Last edited by Trl_ws6; 07-16-2013 at 02:01 PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:36 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pretty cool looking build, can't wait to see more!
Old 12-12-2013, 03:36 PM
Launching!

No real updates. Started putting in overflow tank, catch can, washer reservoir, heater hoses, heater valve, made custom radiator hoses, ordered some silicone couplers for the throttle body, intercooler and turbo inlet/to intercooler. Sold off the BOV and the wastegate. Was looking at how I was going to properly place the wastegate then dump the outlet and it was just not going to work out. The physical size of it was absurd. Going to go with two 38mm coming off of each side so it will be smaller and easier to place. Need to take my pressure ps steering line to get made. Luckily found a shop locally that specializes in aftermarket ps items so maybe they will have a solution for the fitting on the steering rack that is in front of my oil pan. The banjo fitting was really bulky and only way for it to fit would be to cut some of the rack and clearance the oil pan. I want some clearance so if it ever goes bad I wouldn't have to remove/lift the engine to change it. I still haven't done anything with the fusebox and extending the harness. It is still all hanging there. Very frustrating as I thought it was my solder iron so purchased a new one and still not getting the wire hot where I can press the solder to it and it melt where it provides the connection. Once this is done then I will move the car to a buddies shop for him to build the turbo kit. Below is how the car sits currently. A little bit of a mess, but we had a bad ice storm and have no desire to get out in the garage despite having a garage heater. Below is how she currently sits.

Quick Reply: '82 Supra 6.0, S480, glide, 3.45s