Sponsored by:

LY6 into a 55 Nomad Swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 09:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LY6 into a 55 Nomad Swap

Hi Guys,
I purchased a 20,000 mile LY6 and 4L80 out of a 2009 Chevy Van.
This motor has VVT camshaft. Should I keep the VVT setup or switch to a LS9 camshaft (PN 12638427)? I am also looking at the Mast Motorsports LY6SS camshaft.
I would like to hear arguments for and against the VVT setup.
Thank You in advance.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

IMHO I would keep the VVT. There are great strides being made for VVT in both tuning and camshafts. If your motor has DOD(?) I would get rid of that part.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:56 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

keep the vvt , its awesome , it is haveing your cake and eating too .

I have an ly6 in a 64 chevelle , with a l99 cam , long tubes and an ls3 intake and injectors , it flies , putting a stocker in a 68 c10 right now , and have future plans for an ly6 with the mast cam/springs in a 65 or 66 chevelle
Old 06-20-2013, 06:02 PM
Staging Lane

I'd keep the VVT, Just be sure you got the BCM (body control module) youll need it to get all of your gauges working. Id stay clear of mast unless you are goin to run thier computer. I used Texas Speed and have had no issues. I used thier vvt-2 tourqer cam. With long tubes and an LS3 intake it makes 430 rwhp@ 6000rpms. Pulls like a big block down low and runs into the rev limiter like a crotch rocket.

Last edited by hicksport; 07-06-2013 at 10:48 AM.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:27 PM
On The Tree

Hi Guys,
Thank You Very Much for all of your responses.
I am going to use the ECM and TCM from the vehicle that the motor and transmission were pulled from. I am going to call Texas Speed just to see what cam will be best. I am also using a Classic Auto Air A/C setup.
What are your suggestions regarding the water pump, brackets and pulley setup from a Corvette?
Old 06-20-2013, 09:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got a Texas Speed VVT3 cam.
Go for it!

Mike
Old 06-20-2013, 09:44 PM
On The Tree

Hi Mike,
How does the VVT cam work with the stock ECM? Is there anything else that I will need to purchase?
Thank You,
Tory
Old 06-21-2013, 12:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

I also recommend keeping the VVT. While you can get more peak hp and tq with a traditional cam you get far more hp and tq under the curve with the VVT. The amount of tq made at low rpms is incredible. You won't regret keeping it.

The only real hurdle is finding someone that is familiar with tuning VVT. I went with the Mast ECU and cam so that it was already setup.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:22 AM
On The Tree

I am going to use Antivenom in Seffner, Florida.

http://www.antivenomefi.com/

Greg gave me many different options, but it was up to me to do my homework and become better informed.
What got me curious was the article that featured him in GM High Tech Performance:

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...camshaft_swap/

I intend on installing this motor once and getting everything right the first time. There is a lot of research to be done and I really appreciate all of the help that you have given me so far.
Thank You,
Tory
Old 06-21-2013, 05:38 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Camaros-n-Chevelles
Hi Mike,
How does the VVT cam work with the stock ECM? Is there anything else that I will need to purchase?
Thank You,
Tory
Yes, the stock ECM can be used with the aftermarket Texas Speed camshaft.
Texas Speed will furnish you a revised table that you can give to your tuner to update the file.

I would also recommend a Katech C5-R timing chain for added insurance. The chain utilizes the stock crank gear and phaser.

My 2008 LY6 is assembled but is not running yet. Looking to install sometime this Fall.

Keep us in the loop on your progress. Your going to also love the 4L80E also. Basically a T400 with an overdrive.
Good luck with the build! Sounds like a great project.

Mike
Old 06-21-2013, 10:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

Regarding VVT, there are a lot of caveats and some extra costs to consider. You will need a phaser limiter. There are at least two GM phasers that have been used in LY6s and you will need to make sure the cam core and the phaser limiter are selected based on the phaser you have. Texas Speed can help you but you will need to look at the part number on your phaser which is behind the timing cover (you can see it by removing just the phaser actuator). The cost of the cam itself is more because of the unique VVT core. While it is recommended by GM to replace the phaser actuator (the cam "bolt"), some have swapped their cams without replacing it (member tiresmokinv8 for example). It is also critical to check your piston-valve clearance which is slighly more involved than with a traditional cam because you need to check both full advance and full retard. The tune will need to include cam phasing and cam timing/spark table changes.

If you want a "shelf" grind, there are still not that many options out there. Some people to talk to include Texas Speed (TSP), New Era, Mast, Comp Cams, and Pat G.

I think the best cam-only LY6 results I've seen are from futureuser's Camaro build using a non-VVT Vengeance cam. If I had mine to do over, I would talk to them about grinding it on a VVT core with some advance ground in so it could benefit from the VVT. This is a more risky approach however since piston-valve clearance could become an issue. The nice thing about a shelf grind is you have some confidence there will be adequate clearance.

Regarding more detailed technical info, there are a few VVT threads in the Gen IV internal engine section. In almost any thread you will have to wade through opinions from both sides to get any real concrete information. Be aware that a lot of us who are using VVT have nothing to compare it to and a lot of people without VVT have no experience with VVT either, so you will get mostly one-sided stories.

I chose VVT based on the theoretical technical merits and I installed a VVT-2 grind from Texas Speed. There are details in my build thread on the install, including how I checked piston-valve clearance. My results will not be the same as other LY6 builds because I have higher compression (Wiseco flat top pistons and shaved deck) than stock (dished pistons). My engine is not yet running.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here is a link to a discussion about VVT on the Camaro5 forum. Gives you some idea of what the lastest thoughts and directions are regarding VVT.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=301392
Old 06-21-2013, 01:59 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Texas speed tunes also . you could send them your ecu and use their , cam / springs/ phaser , and have a tested setup , I am leaning toward this option as opposed to mast , as mast seams like they are more interested in selling complete crate engine packages
Old 06-22-2013, 01:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

I went with Mast because at the time I built mine they were the only ones with a VVT cam. I'm glad to see Texas Speed is putting some R&D into it also. It is definitely cheaper to run the stock ECU so this sounds like a good option.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:03 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1989GTA
Here is a link to a discussion about VVT on the Camaro5 forum. Gives you some idea of what the lastest thoughts and directions are regarding VVT.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=301392
Wow, I read the thread and there is a lot to consider. Thank You again for all of the replies so far.

Tory
Old 06-28-2013, 10:40 AM
On The Tree

Do all Factory Supercharged Corvettes use a VVT Setup?
Old 07-05-2013, 09:15 PM
On The Tree

What setup is used in the new 2010 - 2013 Camaros and Corvettes? Do the new Camaros and Corvettes use a VVT camshaft? What water pump is used? Is it a short pump? Does the pump clear the timing cover for a VVT camshaft? What parts are necessary to duplicate a 5th Gen Camaro setup?
Old 07-06-2013, 12:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have an LY6 with 2010 camaro waterpump and tensioner with C6 Vet P/S and Alt. Water pump just bolts up, the vet bracket needs to be spaced of the the head 1.5 inches, reused the LY6 Damper. I kept VVT, currently having issues getting the PCM to work, seems like the mixing of MAP/MAF/TB causses the PCM tune tough to perfect, but many have done it with success. Re-tuned PSI PCM waiting to be installed and tested when I return home.
Attached Thumbnails LY6 into a 55 Nomad Swap-dscf0945.jpg   LY6 into a 55 Nomad Swap-dscf0919.jpg  
Old 07-06-2013, 10:54 AM
Staging Lane

If you stay with vvt you will have to use either the truck water pump or the camaro. They have to be the "long" style to clear the timing cover. I used the truck acc and modified the the alt position.
Old 07-06-2013, 01:17 PM
On The Tree

How much shorter is the Camaro water pump than the truck water pump?
The reason I wanted to use the short water pump was to keep the V8 radiator position in my 55 Nomad. Depending on the measurements of the Camaro and truck water pump, I might have no other choice, but to use the 6 Cylinder radiator position or ditch the VVT setup.
Thank You again for all of the information.

Quick Reply: LY6 into a 55 Nomad Swap