Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ4/LQ9 6.0 block into my fbody?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 11:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default LQ4/LQ9 6.0 block into my fbody?

my LS6 block is cracked, and i'm looking for a replacement block.

i may have found either an LQ4 or LQ9 long block (not yet sure which it is, it's an iron block from an '01 HD2500 truck...gonna probably take a look at it this weekend), minus intake/accessories, that i can use to replace it, but i have some questions on what will and what will not work without modification.

1) will the LS6 valley cover (2004+, part# 12577927) fit without cutting anything? (on the LS1 block you have to cut a notch out of the boss in the valley to get it to fit)
2) will my LS1 241 heads (or some LS6 243's/799's) work on this block? and are there any other heads that will work better for cheap (must work with LS6 intake)?
3) will the LS6 intake i already have work on this block?
4) will my LS1 F-Body wiring harness work with the block?
5) will this block bolt right up to my F-Body T56 bellhousing and Monster Level 2 flywheel?
6) will the rest of my LS1 F-Body accessories mount up to the block?
7) will my LS1/LS6 F-Body oil pan mount up to the block?
8) are there any other issues i may have left out that i will run into with trying to get this block to work?

basically, i want to make sure that swapping in the block will be as simple as swapping the rest of my existing LS1/LS6 parts over and reinstalling as if it were my stock LS6 block.

also, what is the easiest way without removing the heads to find out if it's LQ4 or LQ9?
Old 06-25-2013, 09:37 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 02Z28LS1
my LS6 block is cracked, and i'm looking for a replacement block.

i may have found either an LQ4 or LQ9 long block (not yet sure which it is, it's an iron block from an '01 HD2500 truck...gonna probably take a look at it this weekend), minus intake/accessories, that i can use to replace it, but i have some questions on what will and what will not work without modification.

1) will the LS6 valley cover (2004+, part# 12577927) fit without cutting anything? (on the LS1 block you have to cut a notch out of the boss in the valley to get it to fit)
Not Sure
2) will my LS1 241 heads (or some LS6 243's/799's) work on this block? and are there any other heads that will work better for cheap (must work with LS6 intake)?
That motor should have 317 heads, similar to 243's except with a larger chamber. Worth keeping. Any cathedral port head will work, including the two above.
3) will the LS6 intake i already have work on this block?
YES
4) will my LS1 F-Body wiring harness work with the block?
YES- only 98' has some small hurdles
5) will this block bolt right up to my F-Body T56 bellhousing and Monster Level 2 flywheel?
Most likely- some early motors 1999-01 have a .400" longer crank, or a spacer of same length as well as a flat flexplate. The spacer can be removed, the long crank would not work with your t56.
6) will the rest of my LS1 F-Body accessories mount up to the block?
You will have to drill and tap one boss on the block for the alternator. Not hard. After that, Yes
7) will my LS1/LS6 F-Body oil pan mount up to the block?
YES
8) are there any other issues i may have left out that i will run into with trying to get this block to work?

basically, i want to make sure that swapping in the block will be as simple as swapping the rest of my existing LS1/LS6 parts over and reinstalling as if it were my stock LS6 block.

also, what is the easiest way without removing the heads to find out if it's LQ4 or LQ9?
Very unlikely that you would have an LQ9 in an 01' 2500 HD, unless it is not original. VIN # would be what I would check.

I have tried to be helpful, but I dont have an F-body and this question gets asked almost once a week. Search!
Old 06-25-2013, 12:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have been searching as time allows, but as always, there's a lot of **** out there to trod through, and i wanted to at least get the post up here while i continued to search elsewhere as well, in case someone like yourself would drop in and answer the questions...and i appreciate you doing so.

as for the 317 heads that are on it, apparently this engine dropped a valve, so i'm not sure the extent of the damage that has been done to it (block is really all i need, anyway)....so worst case scenario, i wanted to make sure my 241's and/or some 243's/799's would work if i were to pick some up for cheap.

Quick Reply: LQ4/LQ9 6.0 block into my fbody?