Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Conversion cold air intake IAT logs

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 11:05 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Conversion cold air intake IAT logs

Just Curious any of you ever log your IAT's? I recently purchased the I-phone Dash Command app with wireless OBDII router. I was curious to see how my ram air thru the head lights was doing. At highway speed 70 mph I am seeing IAT's running about 7 degrees above ambient. When I push it up to 80 I'm seeing that drop to about 6 degrees above ambient. When the speed reduces to 60 or below the temps go up to about 10 TO 15 degrees above ambient. Maybe thats why my car seems to likes 80 mph so much
Old 06-26-2013, 11:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have not monitored my CAI.. but I have looked at the numbers from time to time. I am using an Andriod with Torque Pro...

but you numbers seem about right from what I can recall. Mine are a bite higher due to my CAI getting its air source from the Cowl. .the air box is on top of the engine and routing is close to the engine.

As engine intake goes.. cool is better !.. I'll monitor it today.. I am going over to Sonoma for Wed Nite TNT...

BC
Old 06-26-2013, 08:05 PM
TECH Resident

The temp was 100 when I left work today. I traveled 60 miles with a/c on. Running 75 to 80 mph the coolant temp was 212 to 214 most of the way. The IAT was reading 109 deg. That's with both fans on high blasting on the intakes top and bottom.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:42 PM
TECH Regular

I used an off-the-shelf CAI for a truck on my Monte Carlo. Using my ScanGaugeII I saw that my intake temps are about 30 degree above ambient which means I basically NEVER pull in air that is less than 100 degrees.

Changes will be made to my setup eventually...I hope to get my numbers as close to ambient as possible.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by rockytopper
The temp was 100 when I left work today. I traveled 60 miles with a/c on. Running 75 to 80 mph the coolant temp was 212 to 214 most of the way. The IAT was reading 109 deg. That's with both fans on high blasting on the intakes top and bottom.
Do you have a picture of your cold air intake system?
Old 06-26-2013, 09:16 PM
TECH Resident

Talking

Originally Posted by 1989GTA
Do you have a picture of your cold air intake system?
Sorry that's top secret info. I mean there's custom high end lowes & Home Depot crapper plumbing in there.

And that's no SH_T LOL

Last edited by rockytopper; 06-26-2013 at 09:24 PM.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:20 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting... I'd like to get the iPhone OBDII tool as well. I just moved my air filter behind my driver side headlight. My IAT is now in the tube. Im using an airaid tube...copying Sam Hatco 69 TA vert.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...l#post13928089

I've read bczee's cowl intake....nice work.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/6278225-post1.html

I'm in the process of mounting my shaker to the LS1 intake...and possibly thinking of making it functional.

Which location would work better (coolest air)?
Old 06-27-2013, 08:10 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try to find a high pressure area. Anything in the front or the cowl area tend to be good.

I'm also using the Torque app and monitor my intake temps. At first I had a short intake that ended right behind the drivers headlight. On a hot day temps would hover around 125* and even hotter when stopped or driving slow. I ended up coming up with a Cold Air Intake using a empty fog light hole as a ram air. Temps are now similar to Rockytopper's at just a few degrees above ambient.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

I watched my IAT while driving around yesterday.... Outside ambient Temp was in the Mid 70's to low 80's. on Slow driving around town my IAT showed 104-107*. As I got on the highway.. it dropped into the 95-98*.. after short time after cruising at 70-75+.. (couldn't get to or stay near 80 MPH due to traffic). It would drop to 88-92* with the lowest being 86.5*.

It seem the IAT show a range of 15-25* above the ambient Temp. Most likely up to 10* hotter than yours Rocky.. due to my CAI Air Box and Tubes being on top of the engine and tubes running near the engine.

BC
Old 06-27-2013, 11:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I see a few degrees above ambient at steady state speed...after a hard run they're in 140-ish range
Old 06-27-2013, 12:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Sorry that's top secret info. I mean there's custom high end lowes & Home Depot crapper plumbing in there.

And that's no SH_T LOL
Reason I was asking was if your cold air intake tubing was heating up due to the material such as uncoated aluminum tubing.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah. .but Rocky did that Crapper Sh*t with Taste ! LOL

But, Yeah.. depending on what your using. Some material has better heat retention or dissipation properties. I am no expert but I am sure Rubber will retain the heat more than Aluminum. I have a mixture of Steel, Aluminum and Rubber..So I assume It could be better if I used all Aluminum in place of the Steel and some of the Rubber elbows.

but, if anyone is an expert at this subject, I'd like to hear from them... as other would find it usefull too.

BC
Old 06-27-2013, 12:55 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 1989GTA
Reason I was asking was if your cold air intake tubing was heating up due to the material such as uncoated aluminum tubing.
I was just kidding but not about using lowes plumbing. If you wish to see it there is a pretty good picture in this thread including my cad drawing of the layout

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...take-pics.html

I used pvc pipe sanded and painted it flat black it is not as nice looking as the aluminum tubing but has much better thermal qualities. I was trying to memic a factory look anyway as if the ls1 was there in 1965. Traditionally hot rodders used the inside headlights for ramair. I choice to use the outside headlights which doesn't look as nice but allowed me to keep my battery in stock location. Thats why I did it. I originally wanted to use one of these but I did not have room http://www.vetteworksintl.com/sitebu...il-297x213.jpg. would have been much cleaner and nicer..
Old 06-27-2013, 01:10 PM
TECH Resident

While we are on this subject are you guys seeing different cooling temps on your app as compared to your dash instrument?

Yesterday my dash command app digital read out was showing coolant temps between 212 & 214 at the same time my auto meter gauge was reading 208 degrees. Is this due to the locations the temps are being measured. My dash gauge sending unit is located in the aft side of the passenger side head. I assume the app is being measured in the front of the driver’s side head where the original sending unit is located?
Old 06-27-2013, 02:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by bczee
I am no expert but I am sure Rubber will retain the heat more than Aluminum. I have a mixture of Steel, Aluminum and Rubber..So I assume It could be better if I used all Aluminum in place of the Steel and some of the Rubber elbows.
Aluminum is a better heat conductor than rubber or plastic, so it will allow more heat transfer into the air from the engine compartment. Plastic is better from that perspective. On the other hand the surface finish of plastic or rubber components will not be quite as good so you will have more pressure drop inside for a given flow fate and this may slightly bump up the heat transfer. I suspect it is better (but only marginally) to use plastic over aluminum for overall performance on an CAI. Alternatively you could use heat reflective wrap or insulation around the aluminum to improve performance.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm using Torque for Android, but was using an old Predator before that.

At any speed it's usually about 20* above ambient, sitting at a stop light the temp just creeps up and up.

I have the normal set up of just having an open K&N filter sitting in the engine bay, but it's over a fresh air inlet, so, so long as I'm moving it's not bad.

Building a proper, insulated, box for the filter is on my long'ish list of things to do this year for my swap. Hope then IAT will always be ambient.

Last edited by rotor vs. piston; 06-27-2013 at 04:17 PM.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While we are on this subject are you guys seeing different cooling temps on your app as compared to your dash instrument?

Yesterday my dash command app digital read out was showing coolant temps between 212 & 214 at the same time my auto meter gauge was reading 208 degrees. Is this due to the locations the temps are being measured. My dash gauge sending unit is located in the aft side of the passenger side head. I assume the app is being measured in the front of the driver’s side head where the original sending unit is located?
Yes, the temps vary just a bit, mostly when puttering around town. On the highway the computer reads 190.4* always, the temp gauge sits right on the 190 mark (VDO).

Quick Reply: Conversion cold air intake IAT logs