Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nerd Rods, 55-59 Truck Frame Project 1956, C4 suspension, 5.3L Auto, Kit Frame Design

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 01:08 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Things are grinding to the speed of paperwork and parts shipping. I'm also working on the second frame time lapse video so look forward to that soon as well.

For guys who want to speed through all these photos I've made some of those cool galleries that you can just click through instead of all the back and forth.

Truck Drop off, Dis assembly and Adventures in Crappy Body Work Over Rust
http://gallery.nerdrods.com/custom_p..._1956_chevy_01

The New Cab and the design of the frame
http://gallery.nerdrods.com/custom_p..._1956_chevy_02

The FRAME! Pickup, Arrival and The Welding.
http://gallery.nerdrods.com/custom_p..._1956_chevy_03

Assembly into a Rolling Chassis and the first sit on its own wheels.
http://gallery.nerdrods.com/custom_p..._1956_chevy_04

Later
-Russell
Old 04-09-2014, 02:20 AM
Launching!

Update time!

Sorry, we’ve been dealing with a ton of drama in regards to our frame tubing laser. They decided without notice to triple the cost of the frames. I called up to order truck frames for the first full production batch and at that time the shop decided to inform me that my frames had been costing them over 1,000.00 each out of there pocket. This puts me in a bad place because it not only interferes with the truck frames but it also put a complete stop to the TriFive frames as well leaving me with just the few frames I had in stock. The machine that cuts the tubing is rare here in the US and when I started they were the only job shop with the equipment I could find. After going round and round with them I paid their extortion level prices for 3 more of the truck frames. I had 2 sold already and had to buy the third just to get the order big enough for them to process it and all out of pocket. So needless to say things have been tight dealing with this.

The light at the end of the tunnel. So I need one of 2 things. One I need 2 shops to tell me that my old price is reasonable and continue manufacturing my parts at that price. This way if one gets to a point where they can no longer manufacture my parts I’ll have another that I know will make the parts at the same or similar price. Second is that I get the same numbers from these new shops as the original and find out that Nerd Rods has no future building my existing kit frames. However, getting a price isn’t easy on these frames. There are lots of parts and they are almost all different. This is what makes it possible for you all to assemble them but they are also difficult to price just from looking over the data. Lots of programing is needed to see how long each part will take on the machine, how much material will each take up, how will they all be nested on the source material, packaging and handling. And on and on. Next comes with the fact that almost no one’s software likes each other so I keep needing to convert my files into different formats for each shop and then answer questions different for each as well. Talk to the sales team, email the engineers and make drawings for the drafts men. I’ve already been told no by 4 shops but they all have the older machines without the auto feeding system so their handling was what killed the projects. I’ve got 2 shops I’m waiting on now for a final quote. One shop’s laser is so new it’s still in the crate but it’s also the latest model and the faster one available and while they change 400.00 and hour their machine is 4x faster than the place in Dallas that charged 185.00 an hour so to me that means half the price. Here’s hoping.

On to the actual prototype. Lots of parts are on order still but lots of other parts are here now. Have a look see.

I'm working on the Time Lapse of the second frame and the 3D animation right now as well so with luck I should have those out shortly.

Later
-Russell
Old 05-10-2014, 06:55 AM
Launching!

Well this has been an educational experience. I'm having to go out of state to get my laser cutting done. I've got 3 shops looking at my models and working up number for me. It was kind of funny. These tubing laser start around 800k, most are closer to 1.2 million and the big bad boys are 1.8 million. With a huge piece of equipment like that you would think these guys would advertise the heck out of them to keep the blasting metal around the clock.......... NOPE!!!

Finally in the last few weeks I started calling the tube laser manufactures. "WHO THE @#$% HAS YOUR MACHINE!" A few days later most of their sales guys called me back and several shops were tossed my way. I've already been turned down by 15 or so shops because they have older multi purpose machines that can't do the tube like a dedicated machine can and each one of those request are at lease a full day of talking, emailing, converting files, making special drawings for what ever questions they have and so on. I've been at that for months now trying to find a shop that can cut up the frames. So my silence hasn't been for naught.

What have I gotten done? Here's a beta video to kinda show you. I just slapped the footage together so you guys can take a look.

Make sure to kick it up to HD for all the beautful details and look for the big clock in the background toward the end.

Back to work!
Later
-Russell
Old 05-10-2014, 11:04 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is badA$$ dude! Let me know when you start making 67-72 C10 frames.

Rob
Old 05-11-2014, 10:48 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Hart_Rod
This is badA$$ dude! Let me know when you start making 67-72 C10 frames.

Rob
Thanks and it's on my list but I think I'm going to do a C2/3 Corvette Conversion frame first then move to the C10's Unless the C10 guys get louder about it than the Corvette guys.

Later
-Russell
Old 05-11-2014, 11:27 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

The amount of research and engineering in this thing makes the more technical guys like me glaze over in sheer amazement. Well done.......
Old 05-11-2014, 01:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just read this whole thread. All I can say is BADA$$!!!

I know where there is a complete C4 frame & suspension. I can probably get it for hauling it away.

I would love to use your frame for a 67-72 C10!

I'm looking forward to seeing your finished project!!
Old 05-11-2014, 08:44 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Russell,

I am very impressed with this build and the attention to detail. Absolutely Awesome!

Bill

Standalone LS Swap Harnesses IN STOCK!
LSX, LTX Stand alone swap harnesses. S10 LSX conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses, 24x conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses. LT1 to LSX PLUG AND PLAY Harnesses.
sales@bp-automotive.com
www.bp-automotive.com
1-888-467-4491
Old 05-12-2014, 03:46 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JoeNova
The amount of research and engineering in this thing makes the more technical guys like me glaze over in sheer amazement. Well done.......
LOL, Thanks!

Originally Posted by 1bigoldman
I just read this whole thread. All I can say is BADA$$!!!

I know where there is a complete C4 frame & suspension. I can probably get it for hauling it away.

I would love to use your frame for a 67-72 C10!

I'm looking forward to seeing your finished project!!

If you'd like I can send you the rough blue print of this frame to see if it will fit under your tuck. You'd need to make your own body mounts to make it fit up. Otherwise its going to be quite a while before I get this one (the 1955-59 Task Force Trucks) finished, get a C10, dissect it (figure of speech), figure out what the C10 community wants in a custom frame, design it, build it, test the prototype, and only then start selling them.

Originally Posted by BP Automotive
Russell,

I am very impressed with this build and the attention to detail. Absolutely Awesome!

Bill
Thank you sir, I can't wait to get your harness on the other projects in my shop so you can get to work on a harness for this project.

Thanks again gentlemen
-Russell
Old 05-13-2014, 02:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just went through the whole PT thread and caught up on this one. Awesome work, Russell.

Jumping through all these hoops on top of all the normal hurdles in these threads cant be easy or fun, but its awesome to see the results!
Old 05-14-2014, 06:22 PM
Teching In

very interested
Old 05-14-2014, 06:37 PM
Teching In

the kit looks great. any pricing ideas?
Old 05-14-2014, 06:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Are you using a regular D44 or the awesome new 12bolt C4 rear?
Old 05-14-2014, 09:42 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Irish350
Just went through the whole PT thread and caught up on this one. Awesome work, Russell.

Jumping through all these hoops on top of all the normal hurdles in these threads cant be easy or fun, but its awesome to see the results!
Thanks, with luck we'll have the PT-57 back up on one of these frames in the low body configuration and some bad *** shocks. Thinking Ridetech triple adjustable right now.

Originally Posted by 97ss150
the kit looks great. any pricing ideas?
Thanks but I can't talk about that unless I'm a sponsor.

Originally Posted by 3.8redbird
Are you using a regular D44 or the awesome new 12bolt C4 rear?
I thought those were only for the C2/3 Corvette not the C4. And if your going to make that much power its easier to just install the rear cross member in the forward possession to clear the drive shaft under suspension travel and install a live axle to the rear suspension or do a C5/6 Corvette suspension

I wish I could but I don't do the C5/6 right now only because of the cost involved ended up making the rolling chassis double the price of a C4 when it was all said and done so I'm doing the C4 as an introductory level option. That way when I spend hours on the phone telling them that the C5/6 chassis they just bought is only really good for its motor then they'll have a fall back option.

Thanks again all around!
-Russell
Old 05-15-2014, 08:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rat_rod_russell
I thought those were only for the C2/3 Corvette not the C4. And if your going to make that much power its easier to just install the rear cross member in the forward possession to clear the drive shaft under suspension travel and install a live axle to the rear suspension or do a C5/6 Corvette suspension

I wish I could but I don't do the C5/6 right now only because of the cost involved ended up making the rolling chassis double the price of a C4 when it was all said and done so I'm doing the C4 as an introductory level option. That way when I spend hours on the phone telling them that the C5/6 chassis they just bought is only really good for its motor then they'll have a fall back option.

Thanks again all around!
-Russell
Quite the contrary. The D44 is great but it is a hit or miss above 600rwhp. There is a company(name escapes me) making a bolt in affair for c4s and hot rods that want to use the IRS. It is a Lil pricy, 2800 with gears, but has lived into the 900rwhp without issue thus far.
Old 05-15-2014, 09:38 AM
Staging Lane

I would think that about the time you over powered a D44, you'd start twisting half-shafts off...
Old 05-15-2014, 10:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ccreddell
I would think that about the time you over powered a D44, you'd start twisting half-shafts off...
Stock half shafts are very sturdy with upgraded u joints and there are even stronger aftermarket.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 3.8redbird
Stock half shafts are very sturdy with upgraded u joints and there are even stronger aftermarket.
Right but the suspension geometry is seriously lacking at handling that kind of power. The dual A arms of the C5/6 is really going to help put down the power at that point over the 4.5 link IRS of the C4 corvette suspension and if your spending the cash on that much power your can probably shell out for the upgrade or your drag racing and want the live axle anyway.

Theirs more than one way to skin a cat but this is what I've figured out that most people want it a hot rod, performance per dollar.

Later
-Russell
Old 05-16-2014, 11:02 PM
Launching!

YES!!!!!

We have a laser shop again! And they are actually almost $50.00 bucks cheaper than the old shop. Now they are also an additional 300 miles away from the last shop and in another state but I'm not worried about my design not being reproducible for the same price. Basically I was worried that I had blown the last 3 years of my life developing a product and business model that would need to be entirely scrapped thanks to one lazy sales guy.

Back to work!
-Russell
Old 05-17-2014, 10:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've creeped your website and old projects since i started my hotrod back in 2010 or so. You can see i borrowed the design from the c4 rear section your shop did on the 32 roadster. Although im using the leaf-spring still[rides too high a stiff still]

Im curious what length front coil-overs your using? and spring rate as well. Im about to redo my front end, and it seems my coils may be too long and springs too stiff.

Edit: here is my build thread btw[not to thread jack or anything] More-so a compliment through imitation!
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...ker-build.html

Quick Reply: Nerd Rods, 55-59 Truck Frame Project 1956, C4 suspension, 5.3L Auto, Kit Frame Design