Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

vats location 94 camaro

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 06:10 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vats location 94 camaro

I have transplanted a 95 z28 drive train and wiring harness to a 94 v6 body. Also changed the steering column and instrument panel. The only harness I did not change was the wiring that provides power to the dash. All the lights work, however I get no power to any of the relays that start the car. Fuel and starter. After doing a bunch of reading I have concluded that the vats module is the problem. I know it is a black box with a green connector and have the module that goes with the Z28 steering column. (Key) I have looked everywhere and cannot find the module in the v6 car so I can switch to the Z.

A thread I read somewhere said it is connected to the airbag frame behind the dash on the passenger side. I have unbolted the dash and moved it forward about 6 inches but still cannot see the module. HELP.... anyone have any idea where this sucker is.......
Old 07-02-2013, 10:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

As I recall, they are located in the behind the glove box door on the right side of the dash.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:26 AM
TECH Regular

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Its been years since I swapped a LT1 into my 95 v6 car, but I don't remember having to do anything with VATS. If you're not at least getting power to turn the starter, I think you may have a different issue.
There is a pink power wire that needed to be moved in one of the connectors at the passenger side kick panel for the fuel pump.
I'd have to look for my notes to see what else was moved.

I think a VATS problem would at least allow the engine to turn if not even start for a few seconds before shutting off.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

With the older style VATS system, the module enabled the fuel pump relay. No vats, no run. Engine wouldn't crank because the signal was also required to enable voltage to the starter relay. Once running, the VATS is disabled.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:54 AM
TECH Regular

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ah good info....got me thinkin,
check this out. box looking for a different key?
http://shbox.com/1/pass_key.html
Old 07-12-2013, 03:53 PM
Teching In

Default Good info

Thanks for all your replys. I went to my local chevy dealer and spoke with one of the mechs. He walked into the back room, handed me two manuals for 94,95 F bodys and said, "bring em back when your done". What a guy.. Anyway, The vats module is really called the "Theft Deterrent Module". If you sit in the passenger seat and look into the recess where the glovebox goes, there is a metal frame that holds the airbag. The TDM is located on the outer, left sidewall of this frame. ( toward the middle of the car) It is high up on the frame just under the dash cover. You have to remove the dash cover to get to it. A real PIA. Having the dealer manuals has been a godsend. Tons of info. As good as the internet is, having the real deal info at your fingertips almost makes it easy.
Old 08-19-2019, 08:27 PM
Teching In

Is the vats module in that same place on the 93? anybody know? i put m 93 in the shop today becuase after a month of trying to get my z running and money being tight i ve spent about a grand replacing parts for this issue and im not done yet. but the sop i took it to today confirmed what i thought being the security light isnt on and dont come on and the injectors wont spray, and i did the key bypass resistor tried every one of the 15 many times concluded that no security light means vats module dont work and if it dont work i cant bypass it and get the car to run. so anybody wants to sell me a vats or a tdm or tell me where i can reasonably get one that will work in my 93 that would be fantastic. Tanks
Old 08-20-2019, 01:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 463 Likes on 349 Posts

6 year old thread ronhood - if you don't get an answer pretty quickly, may want to start a new thread. And this here little note to bump things up again....

Quick Reply: vats location 94 camaro