Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Motor Mount Plates on 68 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 09:12 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Motor Mount Plates on 68 Camaro

Good morning all, this is my first post on this forum. I recently sold my 427 BB out of my 68 camaro and am in process of buying a 5.3 LQ4 from a mid 2000 Chevy truck. I will be reusing my Tremec TKO600 5-speed.
After some searching, I still have a question. What is your experience with placement of this engine? Should I buy the motor mount plates that keep the engine in the same location as factory, therefore no changes to the tranny crossmember or driveshaft OR should I buy the plate that move the engine 1" forward? Looks like thre are several options out there and most move the engine forward 1" for better firewall clearance.

Thanks. Telly
Old 07-02-2013, 10:00 AM
Launching!

I think the main reason the 1" forward option is offered is to keep from crushing the heater core tubes on original small block cars. You won't have that problem with the big block heater core.

As far as the big block frame stands shifting the engine over 1" to the passenger side, I don't know if that is any issue or not.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Another reason to use the Standard plates (not 1" setback) is not only the firewall/heater core... but due to Tansmission Clearance, that being the Transmission Tunnel. Getting the Trans up enough to get the correct drive line angle can be an issue.

I 1st started with the 1" setback, but had too much Transmission Tunnell clearance issues, move the engine forward 1/2" and problem areas were solved. So I have 1/2" setback

BC
Old 07-02-2013, 11:13 AM
Staging Lane

I used 1 in set forward in my 68 camaro. I made my own adapter plates checkout my build thread I have a couple pictures of firewall clearence and what not. I probably couldve left it in the stock location and been fine but at the time I was in the same boat and wasnt sure.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:07 PM
Teching In

Awesome...thanks the responses. I'm sure I'll have many other questions in the near future.

Quick Reply: Which Motor Mount Plates on 68 Camaro