Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 into 69 Chevelle - engine mods? engine ID?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 12:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 into 69 Chevelle - engine mods? engine ID?

hey all, finally pulled the trigger and picked up an LS1. i was told its from a 2002 trans am with 73k miles. (oil and trans fluids are perfect).

1. is there a way to check a block casting number or something to see the engine size or year etc?
2. what things should i check on the engine that would tell me if there is any damage or hard wear and tear? (prefer without having to take many parts off)
3. I would like to mod the engine but nothing too extreme. idk if it will get me to 400hp which would be awesome but im thinking. intake swap, cam swap, spring swap. maybe roller rockers if its worth it. i started off just wanting to upgrade to ls6 intake,cam,springs because i heard it is cheap and easy. but would it be more worth it to get a different cam or kit etc? i would like a somewhat thumpy cam since its a classic car i want it to sound like it as much as possible

please feel free to direct me to good ls1 threads if you kno of them, prefer 69 specific. any other info is also helpful thanks all
Old 07-03-2013, 12:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here is the engine and what i got with it. anyone know if the radiator and fans will work in the 69 well in terms of fitment and bolt up?
Old 07-03-2013, 01:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

There is no real reason to limit yourself to 69-specific threads or even Chevelle-only or LS1-only threads; all a-bodies are going to be the same pretty much and so are most of the engines, at least externally in terms of fitment and what it takes to run one. If we were talking windows or things like that it might be different for the 68/9 crowd. From reading here I've never come across a need for roller rockers.
A TR224 is a tame cam that sounds good and pops up in the classifieds pretty often, I had one and liked it.
Displacement is stamped on the block but is probably hidden by accessories/ trans in this case.
To look at it inside you could always flip it over and take off the oil pan and windage tray. Doing so is also an easy way to keep the lifters up when changing the cam. Two birds/ one stone.

Stock chevelle radiator was always enough for my cam/ headers ls1.

Quick Reply: LS1 into 69 Chevelle - engine mods? engine ID?