Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need a 4l80 crossmember for my 70 nova

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 08:57 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I need a 4l80 crossmember for my 70 nova

I have a LS 402 with 4l80 trans for my 70 nova,the motor plates have 3-positions adjustable,i have the motor in the back set of holes otherwise the motor set to far forward and you could see to much of the bellhousing on the trans.The passenger head is around 1/4" from the firewall.Is there anyone on here that has built there own LS1/4l80 swap crossmember for there 68-72 nova or 1stgen Camaro.That would build me one,i have measurements.Must be durable,nice,and a good design.I contacted g-force and there design was 9/16" off from subframe hole to transmission mount hole.Please PM me or text/call 573-301-2908 if you contact me by phone tell me your user name on here Thanks
Old 07-18-2013, 05:20 PM
Launching!

Anyone ??? Or know where I can buy one to fit my setup ?
Old 07-19-2013, 09:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Might have to build one...

I built one for my T56 swap....there was 1 on the market but it was over $300 at the time.

The nova subframe is not very cross-member friendly unfortunately.
When needing to run a dual exhaust WITH a bigger trans, you start to run out of room when building a custom cross-member.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:20 PM
Launching!

I need help, anyone ?
Old 07-23-2013, 10:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

your best bet is going to be finding a fab shop to custom-build you one. I bought a RaptorX crossmember, and ended up heavily modifying it.

Scratch that, it looks like they updated their design (and the product name). It might still require some tweaking.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you looked into the G-Force ones ?

Speedway Motors has a DIY kit Cross members, might try one of those kits.

BC
Old 07-24-2013, 11:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are 2 cross members that came on Novas and Camaros. The turbo 400 cross members are different. If you do a search for a t400 cross member for a Camaro you can find them for pretty cheap online. I have the BRP kit and did not use their cross member. The motor is positioned forward all I had to do was cut the ear off and place it up front instead of the back of the member.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:45 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 69 Ghost
There are 2 cross members that came on Novas and Camaros. The turbo 400 cross members are different. If you do a search for a t400 cross member for a Camaro you can find them for pretty cheap online. I have the BRP kit and did not use their cross member. The motor is positioned forward all I had to do was cut the ear off and place it up front instead of the back of the member.
I have a th400 crossmember and the powerglide crossmember neither are close to what im needing.Did you read what im looking for ? Or do you not know how long a 4l80 is ?
Old 07-25-2013, 08:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bczee
Have you looked into the G-Force ones ?

Speedway Motors has a DIY kit Cross members, might try one of those kits.

BC
I called G-Force there crossmember looks good but its the one that is 9/16" off.I hate to spend $260 + $30 shipping for something im gonna have to modify and drill new holes to make it work.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:58 PM
TECH Regular

BMR has an adjustable one now for T400, 80E, & T56 in the Fbody section.
I found it on The Turbo Forums and the guy using it said it was a little low.
So it may need a spacer for your app.. Just depends on how yours is set up.

Drilling new holes is easy, and it is retarded it doesn't fit right. More than likely it's for a different trans and it's close so they won't build two x members.

GForce also has an unwelded kit.

It's also pretty common to do what 69 Ghost (+1 for Eric) is saying about moving the mounts from front to back etc.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:45 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TurboS10

It's also pretty common to do what 69 Ghost (+1 for Eric) is saying about moving the mounts from front to back etc.
I understand but its way to far off to do that.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any luck or info?
Old 09-09-2013, 09:57 AM
TECH Resident

You might check Speed and Performance. I'm going to get one of theirs for the 67-69 Camaro. It is fully adjustable and is pretty cheap too.

pg, 96 of this catalog... Street and Performance has one that is almost infinitely adjustable that will fit a 67-69 camaro, which "theoretically" should fit our subframes...

It's only $165

This is the one I'm going to try first when I get my 4L80E.

http://www.hotrodlane.cc/2013catweb2.pdf

It's kind of a big pdf file, btw...
Old 09-09-2013, 10:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by ryanleiker
You might check Speed and Performance. I'm going to get one of theirs for the 67-69 Camaro. It is fully adjustable and is pretty cheap too.

pg, 96 of this catalog... Street and Performance has one that is almost infinitely adjustable that will fit a 67-69 camaro, which "theoretically" should fit our subframes...

It's only $165

This is the one I'm going to try first when I get my 4L80E.

http://www.hotrodlane.cc/2013catweb2.pdf

It's kind of a big pdf file, btw...
That's a tall order as the 4L80E mounting pad location is 3-1/2" further back than that of a TH400, which is just a hair different than that of a 4th-gen F-body T56. You can see by the image I've attached of Hooker's new crossmember for putting a T56 into a 1st-gen with an LS swap that the amount of canteliever you will need for a 4L80E crossmember that bolts to the stock mounting holes will be extreme and not recommended from a structural standpoint. The adustable one mentioned may get you there, but you are going to be a the rear extreme of the adjustment with the same large canteliever issue. I would work with a fabricator to modify a crossmember designed for a T56 or TH400 to mount further back on the subframe from the standard mounting holes.
Attached Thumbnails I need a 4l80 crossmember for my 70 nova-img_2161.jpg  
Old 09-09-2013, 06:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How much is that hooker cross member?
Expensive I'm sure
Old 09-09-2013, 07:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LS1 pwrd NOVA
How much is that hooker cross member?
Expensive I'm sure
Maybe not as much as you think. The current price of the Hooker 2nd-gen T56LS swap crossmember is $224.99 on summit and I guess this one will be 20 to 30 bucks higher due to the extra material and effort needed to produce its extreme cantilevered geometry. All things taken into consideration, that seems rather affordable in my opinion as it provides a fully CAD engineered part that has undergone full validation through FEA analysis so you can beat the crap out of it without worrying about it coming apart under your car. On top of that, it provides discrete known engine inclination angles (3-3.5 degrees)/ U-joint working angles when used with the matching Hooker engine mounting bracket kit also available for this swap application. It's extremely important to note that this is not a universal T56 crossmember, but instead is an integral part of the entire new Hooker system for this swap.

Have you ever noticed that none of the LS engine swap plates, headers or the multitude of transmission swap crossmembers currently available ever advertise an engine/transmission inclination angle you will achieve with their use? The reason for that is that the manufacturer doesn't know because they weren't designed to work with any particular mounts or crossmember. The combined geometry of the engine mounts and trans crossmember set the engine/transmission inclination angle, so using any "universal" design engine mounting swap plates or transmission crossmember is going to leave the final validation of the engine/transmission inclination angle, and the modifications needed to fix it, up to you. Please keep that in mind when choosing your swap components and applying value to them.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:54 PM
On The Tree

What is the part number for that crosmember? That looks like a well thought out peice.

Original poster, there is another member who has used the BMR crossmember successfully with a 4l80E, that is still an option.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Turtle Bite
What is the part number for that crosmember? That looks like a well thought out peice.

Original poster, there is another member who has used the BMR crossmember successfully with a 4l80E, that is still an option.
Hey Turtlebite, giving you the part number won't do you any good at this point since it has not yet been release in our system. It's one of the components in the new Hooker 1st-gen LS swap system that will be released just before the SEMA show and I will be sure to update the members on this forum about its availability as it draws near. Thanks for your comments.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:47 AM
On The Tree

Default 4l80e crossmember

I know that this is pricey but look @ American Powertrain X factor 2 crossmember & they said that its rated for 1500 hp & you can use it for multiple mounting holes & if you ever go manual or auto tranny , you can use it instead of buying another crossmember & I saw it on Muscle Car TV show , but there are different ones you need to call & ask info on X Factor 2 crossmember.The price is $330.00. Hope this helps.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by garrysturbo
I know that this is pricey but look @ American Powertrain X factor 2 crossmember & they said that its rated for 1500 hp & you can use it for multiple mounting holes & if you ever go manual or auto tranny , you can use it instead of buying another crossmember & I saw it on Muscle Car TV show , but there are different ones you need to call & ask info on X Factor 2 crossmember.The price is $330.00. Hope this helps.
Good mention Garry, I've seen those crossembers and like their design aethstetic. They are a nice piece with the only points against them that I can see is the price you mention (not too bad actually for a quality piece) and the fact that their geometry extends straight out off of the frame mounting surface and therefore doesn't provide the absolute highest possible ground clearance. If you want to acheive the kind of exhaust ground clearance you see in this photo, you're going to need a crossmember that arches up into the floor pockets of a 1st-gen like the new Hooker crossmember does.
Attached Thumbnails I need a 4l80 crossmember for my 70 nova-long-tube-ground-clearance.jpg  

Quick Reply: I need a 4l80 crossmember for my 70 nova