Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project Suspended License: 71 C10 SWB LQ4 swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 09:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Project Suspended License: 71 C10 SWB LQ4 swap

I've been slacking, meaning to put up a build thread for the past month or so and just haven't gotten it done. Now it's been together and running and is back apart for some refinement and additional mods. But, here's the story:
Last fall I got the hankering to do another LS swap into something of my own vs. doing it for friends.
Lately I've been into more beaterish stuff. Shiny toys are nice but I get tired of always worrying about where they're parked, who's parked next to them, will they be there when I go back out, etc...
So, on the search for a Chevy beaterish vehicle I went. Criteria: Not too rotted, will fit an LS motor and look cool doing burnouts and generally acting like a 16 year old(see thread title).

I looked at several platforms, stovebolts, tri-fives, even early 240Z's when I came across a 71 C10 that a friend brought up from Georgia but he couldn't get to it so he was letting it go.
I went and looked at it, while it was fairly solid it did need some rust repair - inner rockers, cab mounts and a couple small spots on the floor were weak. The bed floor was pretty rotted from what I would guess were years of sitting with leaves in it but other than that it's a solid old truck.

Struck a deal and drug it home last ~ October.
Project Suspended License: 71 C10 SWB LQ4 swap-defpxk5l.jpg
Project Suspended License: 71 C10 SWB LQ4 swap-bzkfccjl.jpg

I drove it around some last fall, it really is a nice driving truck. The 350 ran well and didn't smoke. But, it wouldn't smoke the tires so it had to go.
I put an ad up on CL and eventually it sold so a buddy came over and helped me pop it out one afternoon.

I then picked up a 5.3/4L60E figuring on a cheap/easy swap with a mostly stock motor(cam/headers). I then had a guy offer a bunch of $ for the 5.3/4L60E so I sold it.
I also accumulated a multitude of knick-knack parts for the swap - crossmember, adapter plates, headers, accessories, intake, etc...
I went thru a few more motors in the same fashion until I eventually came across a VERY complete 50,000 mile LQ4/4L80E swap out of an 05 3/4 ton out in Vegas.
I had it brought back to Iowa where I promptly tore it down to a shortblock.
I've chopped up harnesses in the past however for this one I elected to spend the $ and send it off to be modified. Used BP Automotive. Bill did a great job, turned it around within a week and the harness is real nice, plus his fuse box is very good quality. I'd recommend him in a heartbeat and will use him on all my harnesses going forward.

Mods are:
243/799 heads off of an 08 TBSS milled .030 for compression
Cometic HG's
Custom Tick camshaft
BTR duals/Ti retainers
Moly pushrods
LS7 lifters
FAST 90mm intake
F-body rails/EV1 injectors
LS2 GTO DBW T/B
F-body accessories
Powerbond UDP
TBSS headers
3600 stall Revmax converter

As it sits now:

Project Suspended License: 71 C10 SWB LQ4 swap-yiuthnxl.jpg
Project Suspended License: 71 C10 SWB LQ4 swap-0ggx4vzl.jpg
Project Suspended License: 71 C10 SWB LQ4 swap-vjdldwpl.jpg
Project Suspended License: 71 C10 SWB LQ4 swap-0kzncv2l.jpg
Project Suspended License: 71 C10 SWB LQ4 swap-228jl5ql.jpg

Well...kinda...
Name:  EvBnXo7l.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  65.4 KB

Stock rear was a 2.73 1 legger. Going 90mph in 1st gear is fun...rolling the tire endlessly is fun.
Trying to get a decent tune while breaking the sound barrier is not.
So, 4.10's, Detroit and some new axles are going in this week.
Project Suspended License: 71 C10 SWB LQ4 swap-rqf5imdl.jpg

While the rear is out I've got a few things going on.
First, I got a cruise stalk off of LS1Nova71, nothing like a 4 wire cruise hookup.

Project Suspended License: 71 C10 SWB LQ4 swap-re9bqgcl.jpg
Project Suspended License: 71 C10 SWB LQ4 swap-nxg0wcrl.jpg

Also re-doing the suction side of the fuel system with a RobbMc fuel filter that Eric(LS171) recommended, tidying up some wiring and hooking up the backup lights.

Props on the build thus far:

Bill @ BP Automotive - This guy is THE ******* MAN!!!
I can't emphasize enough how great Bill has been to work with. I emailed him a question on a Friday night @ 9:30. Had a response to call him within 3 minutes and he spent probably 30 minutes on the phone with me walking me through things.
Later I missed a ground down under the motor on the harness. I spent probably an hour chasing things down as it wouldn't fire - no spark. One 2 minute phone call to Bill and it was rattling the windows.
I know exactly who I'll be using to chop up harnesses in the future - not only because he's a good guy but come on, gotta support the little man.
Plus, his prices are fantastic and the quality of his work is second to none!

Martin @ Tick - All around cool dude, chopped me up a killer cam for this thing that does exactly what I hoped it would so far. Hopefully a trip to the dyno will help cement the power #'s but I'm pretty confident that it'll be a real handful once it's turning both tires.

Eric/LS1Nova71 - Eric's done so many of these swaps, while I haven't asked him many questions directly, his fantastic build threads have been a great resource for stumbling blocks.

Future plans - This winter it'll be getting a 4/6 drop, rack & pinion and the rest of the front suspension rebuilt.
I held onto the stock heads off of the motor on the idea it might get boost at some point. In the meantime I plan on driving the wheels off of it this fall.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Different username than on the 67-72 board? Looks god man!
Old 07-22-2013, 09:49 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really appreciate the kind words!

I really like that truck! If you ever decide to get rid of it let me know. Been looking for something like that.

Thanks again.

Standalone LS Swap Harnesses IN STOCK!
LSX, LTX Stand alone swap harnesses. S10 LSX conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses, 24x conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses. LT1 to LSX PLUG AND PLAY Harnesses.
sales@bp-automotive.com
www.bp-automotive.com
1-888-467-4491
Old 07-22-2013, 09:55 PM
Teching In

Great build i just did my 69 shortbed did harness myself since i wanted ti use stock fusebox but on my 72 chevelle i had Bill @bp do that one and i agree his work is awesome simple easy to read labeling and simplicity well worth the money
Old 07-23-2013, 01:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice! I have a 72 C10 swb in the same blue. Any plans for a brake upgrade?
Old 07-23-2013, 01:56 PM
Teching In

Also where did you get the 90 coming out of the throtlebody and air filter and how much were they
Old 07-23-2013, 06:52 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks guys!

Bill - definitely will do. I think you'll be hearing from me this winter, I'm trying to help a friend iron his swap out and I think he has some harness issues. I'm going to try to straighten it out but it might be coming your direction for some help.

Tork - Not at this point, it stops really well. The only thing I might do is put the booster I have laying around on it.

Dobbs - got it from SiliconeIntakes.com, don't remember exact price but they're very reasonable. I plan on fixing up something nicer this winter but for now this works.

Tonight's progress - got the column out and Eric's cruise lever stuck in it. Going to elongate the locating slot a bit to let it tuck down closer to the dash but that's about it.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:53 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

nice looks great , i just got my 68 with a ly6 to fire for the first time today , cant wait to cruze
Old 07-27-2013, 05:30 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Not a problem my friend! Thank you for the kind words!!! What were the cam specs again if you don't mind refreshing my memory? I'm not at my work computer and I don't have any of my customer information handy here at home.

Edit: Jonathan, never mind I found them in our old emails from back in February. How is that cam working out? It sounds like it is working well!
Old 12-19-2016, 08:05 PM
Staging Lane

Nice clean firewall on that beast

Quick Reply: Project Suspended License: 71 C10 SWB LQ4 swap