Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jeep TJ 5.3 Swap Speedometer Question

Old 07-23-2013, 03:13 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Jeep TJ 5.3 Swap Speedometer Question

So I am nearing the end of my 5.3 swap into my 2001 Jeep TJ Wrangler and need to finish the wiring up. The trans is a 700r4 adapted to the Jeep NP231 TC with and Advanced Adapters Kit.

I'm going to be using both the 5.3 PCM (to run the engine) and the Jeep PCM (for the gauge cluster).

Now my questions is about the speedometer. I keep reading that people use a dakota digital convertor to send to the correct signal from the Jeep VSS (which is in the transfer case) to the 5.3 PCM. Is there any reason I have to do this? Does the 5.3 PCM need to know the speed of the vehicle for some reason? Or since I'm using the stock cluster and PCM for the Jeep will everything be fine? I'm getting ready to send the PCM off to a tuner and need to figure out if he needs to change anything for the VSS...

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

For all the other gauges I'm just going to put the Jeep sensors in the 5.3 block. I'm getting an aftermarket tach to take care of that issue.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:42 PM
Launching!

Did some reading and it looks like I could run without the 5.3 PCM knowing the speed but that it might suffer idle and spark.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:08 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Didn't the Advance adapter provide a hole in the adapter and sprocket on the trans main shaft for a vss signal? As I understand if you use the tail shaft signal when you are in 4 wheel drive low the signal is messed up since it's changed due to the T/C case gear reduction.
I have a Novak adapter for my LS6/4L60E and it had the vss sensor for the LS computer. I use the jeep vss signal on the tail shaft on the transfer to run the jeep speedo. Works well.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JIMB
Didn't the Advance adapter provide a hole in the adapter and sprocket on the trans main shaft for a vss signal? As I understand if you use the tail shaft signal when you are in 4 wheel drive low the signal is messed up since it's changed due to the T/C case gear reduction.
I have a Novak adapter for my LS6/4L60E and it had the vss sensor for the LS computer. I use the jeep vss signal on the tail shaft on the transfer to run the jeep speedo. Works well.
There is no provision for a speed sensor in the advance adapters kit. The whole adapter is 1.5" which doesn't really allow for much. The kit came with a shorter trans output shaft and a new input for the transfer case to allow it to be this short. Anyways, what I'm going to do is use the stock vss signal from the back of the transfer case to run the speedo, but I'm also going to splice a Dakota Digital SGI-5 to send the correct signal to the 5.3 PCM so that it knows the speed allowing it to run better.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Jeep TJ 5.3 Swap Speedometer Question