Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil dip stick tube plug

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 10:51 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil dip stick tube plug

i'm doing an LS1 swap into my IS300. i'm going to be using the GTO pan & will be using the hole in the pan for my dip stick tube. is there a plug for blocking the hole in the block? i've heard about some people tapping the hole & putting a bolt in it but i would rather not tap the hole. you never know what the future brings if i want to do something different with the motor.

someone told me there's a plug available but i can't find anything on it.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:25 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 192 Likes on 139 Posts

GTO's came with this plug, but I'm not sure it's a service part so the dealer might not be able to look it up. Maybe someone who has taken theirs out can give you one? Good luck, I spent a lot of time at the dealer a couple of years ago trying to find the power brake plug for a hydroboost intake and it's absolutely not in the GM parts book! Good luck with your search.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:20 PM
FormerVendor

i thought the GTO blocks were casted with the hole filled & it wasn't a real plug.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:33 PM
On The Tree

I just did this for my IS300 and would comfortably remove the bolt and re-use the f-body dip stick. The hole is al most exactly the same size as an M10-1.25 tap drill so other than adding threads you aren't opening up the hole size. I ran a tap through and plugged it with a flat head bolt. There is a picture of mine over in my build thread if you want to look at it.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...ver-build.html
Old 07-26-2013, 05:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

no pics, but I did run a pipe plug in the dipstick tube hole, 1/8 npt, I guess the m10-1.25 can work just as good, but I can see where you wouldnt want to tap the hole if you didnt have the oil pan off. actually heres a pic from sikky's website
Old 07-26-2013, 06:58 PM
FormerVendor

i have the pan off right now. that's why i'm trying to figure the best way before i put the pan on. i have the f-body tube & i was thinking about cutting it down & see if i can figure a way to use it. if i have to tap the hole i will, just seeing if anyone has done it without tapping it.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:59 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by eng1nerd
I just did this for my IS300 and would comfortably remove the bolt and re-use the f-body dip stick. The hole is al most exactly the same size as an M10-1.25 tap drill so other than adding threads you aren't opening up the hole size. I ran a tap through and plugged it with a flat head bolt. There is a picture of mine over in my build thread if you want to look at it.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...ver-build.html
where did you get that bolt in yours?
Old 07-27-2013, 07:15 AM
On The Tree

Ace Hardware here in town. I think it was about 25-30 mm long. I tapped the threads all the way through but the bolt didn't come out the other side.

For anyone else wondering this is what mine looks like.

Quick Reply: Oil dip stick tube plug