Sponsored by:

L76 with DOD and camaro oil pan

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 07:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default L76 with DOD and camaro oil pan

Hi all
Have a L76 from a 09 pontiac g8 gt with active fuel management.
Going to place it in a art Morrison chassis. Told that I would need to use a F body ls1 oil pan. Are there any issues regarding this swap that I need to resolve?
Old 08-28-2013, 09:41 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've got a similar question. I'm looking at an L76 from a G8 as a swap candidate. I'd need to use an F body oil pan.

I read the following on another site:

"Structural Cast Aluminum Oil Pan Specific To G8
The 6.0L (L76) V8 engine is currently available in five nameplates of passenger cars from GM division Holden in Australia, and part of the development of the engine included a unique cast aluminum oil pan that adds structure to the Gen IV aluminum block, increasing engine stiffness and reducing noise. To facilitate the Active Fuel Management system not normally used in the Holden applications, an oil return valve was added to the pan."

Does this "oil return valve" preclude the use of other (F body) oil pans on this engine?

Tipsy
Old 08-28-2013, 11:22 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've done a bit more digging. Since a custom AFM/DOD cam can only be used on engines that also have VVT (which G8 L76's do not), a AFM/DOD must be deleted in order to change the cam in a G8 L76.

In deleting the AFM/DOD, the valley cover will need to be replaced. Since the oil pan AFM relief valve is only there to protect the lifter oil manifold assembly from over-pressure, this will be of no concern once an LS2 or LS3 valley cover is installed.

Great info in this thread.

Tipsy
Old 05-05-2014, 12:04 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TipsyMcStagger
I've got a similar question. I'm looking at an L76 from a G8 as a swap candidate. I'd need to use an F body oil pan.

I read the following on another site:

"Structural Cast Aluminum Oil Pan Specific To G8
The 6.0L (L76) V8 engine is currently available in five nameplates of passenger cars from GM division Holden in Australia, and part of the development of the engine included a unique cast aluminum oil pan that adds structure to the Gen IV aluminum block, increasing engine stiffness and reducing noise. To facilitate the Active Fuel Management system not normally used in the Holden applications, an oil return valve was added to the pan."

Does this "oil return valve" preclude the use of other (F body) oil pans on this engine?

Tipsy
did not want to take any chances
and set up the oil system as would be seen in a ls2 application
did a DOD delete and changed out oil pan ,oil pump

Quick Reply: L76 with DOD and camaro oil pan