Sponsored by:

A few LT1-LX CONVERSION QUESTIONS

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 02:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A few LT1-LX CONVERSION QUESTIONS

1994 TRANS AM CONVERSION WITH A LS1 from 2002 CORVETTE

Ok after about 1 1/2 yrs and more $$ than originally planned, I can see the finish line. Engine and tranny done! Moving on to the suspension. It seems like I will need different springs to compensate for weight difference? Any suggestions? Also, I have not mocked up dropping the engine in yet which came from a y-body. Will the the alternator fit similar to the placement in the vette or will it need to be a lower mount typical in F-body? I believe I've seen it both ways but not sure. Lastly, I've a read a few post that say iwill need an LS1 steering rack. Does that mean specific from an F-body LS1 or does it matter (ie. from a Y-body'98-02)?
Read thru the LT1-LX sticky. Did not find specific info

Last edited by bdiddo; 07-28-2013 at 08:30 PM.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might get a better answer is you include what you are putting it in.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:23 PM
Teching In

Right you are!
Y-body LS1 into a 1994 trans am
Old 07-29-2013, 01:14 PM
Staging Lane

You will need the ls1 k member (although not confirmed) and the ls1 rack. The angle of the rack and pinion is different than that of the LT1. It gives you more clearance. Check out some threads by the "Merv". I went with the K member, upper and lower arms, and coil overs from UMI performance. I raised the car and took the motor out and installed it from underneath.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:21 PM
Staging Lane

Oh and FYI, the transmission cross member is year/trans specific not engine/trans specific. I.e if you go with the oem or aftermarket, use a trans cross member for that year of car, in your case a 94. The mounting points are different when they went to the LS1. You still may have to modify the cross member slightly. Had to move mine back 1 inch. It can be done.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:54 AM
Teching In

Thank you for the info. I just reviewed your comments and suggested threads. Good stuff. I went with k-member, upper and lower control arms, sub frame connectors and mounts from Hawkes Third Generation. All BMR products. Tranny is original, built up to stage 2. Good info about the rack. Saw the post that showed the angle difference you mentioned. Since I got kooks headers for the build that will be diffinately be necessary. I saw some refurbished ones on eBay. Been looking the the past few days on the forum but have not found one (rack) as yet.

Thank again!

Quick Reply: A few LT1-LX CONVERSION QUESTIONS