Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ4 upper water hose neck re-locate

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 10:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LQ4 upper water hose neck re-locate

Have a LQ4 in my rock crawler tube buggy and the upper radiator hose location is in the same spot I need to route my intake piping. Was searching around and looks like a couple options, either remove the upward pointing neck and drill/tap and install a nipple out the front boss like the car water pump, cut the current water neck right at the bend and try to get a hose to elbow off it under the intake tube, or I've read something about the 07+ truck water pumps and the neck looks shorter and angled over more but can't seem to find a picture of one on a LQ4/9 with the stock intake manifold to get an idea of how much shorter it would be.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:40 PM
TECH Regular

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

They look to be at about a 45 degree angle. I see them On ebay all the time. Also newer 6.2 camaro has the outlet on the other side and the same depth as truck accessories.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:47 PM
Teching In

I need the outlet to be on the passenger side still since I have a dual pass radiator with both fittings on the passenger side of the radiator.
Old 08-05-2013, 02:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Pic of an 07+ water pump
Old 08-05-2013, 06:17 AM
Teching In

just to confirm, that is a direct replacement for my current pump and no other modifications needed?
Old 08-05-2013, 06:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

yep, direct swap
Originally Posted by MNorby
just to confirm, that is a direct replacement for my current pump and no other modifications needed?
Old 08-05-2013, 07:28 AM
Teching In

awesome, thank you guys, that might be the best course at this point.
See the build of the rig here if your interested: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gener...sis-build.html
Old 08-05-2013, 08:35 AM
On The Tree

I had the same problem on my last buggy that had an LQ4 and dual pass radiator. I got an L92 water pump, and used a cobra head intake. The L92 pump was a direct swap. The upper hose was routed under the air filter.

Here is a pic early on. At first, I mounted the maf right in the cobra head, and the air filter right to the maf. I eventually added a 90 where the air filter is, moved the maf, and added a larger filter over the passenger side valve cover. This was done to fit a larger 9x4 air filter.

I sold that buggy and the new one I'm building has a reversed intake, the air filter will be under the dash on the co-driver side.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:00 AM
Teching In

I thought about reversing the intake and that would solve some of these issues but for a recreational wheeler I didn't want to listen to it all day too if I can avoid it. I bought the shortest filter I could find hoping to just run it straight out the front but the MAF is about 1" too long for the setup to clear the radiator. Your setup shown looks about what I am hoping to do. Just ordered a L92 water pump off ebay....

Quick Reply: LQ4 upper water hose neck re-locate