Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS2/4L70E in 72 Cutlass

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 08:53 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS2/4L70E in 72 Cutlass

I've lurked over here back and forth for sometime before actually becoming member. A recent event of bad luck has me starting a thread over here. I was building my 72 Cutlass pro touring car with an Olds 455 intending to run FAST Ez-EFI. Just 3wks ago, my entire drivetrain(455/4L80E) was stolen from my friends shop space he rents in a warehouse. With no insurance, I was forced to get a new drivetrain. I lost a motor and trans, but he lost lots more. Although I would have probably upgraded in the future, I would have been nice to get some return on selling the rebuilt 455.
I'll add my previous project info for those who don't visit pro-touring.com or classic olds. I'm sure I'll have some questions in the future, after using the search function of course...lol
Hope it doesn't bore too much LS1tech.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:08 AM
On The Tree

So this is how it originally started....Some comments are unedited as a copy an paste quick update...

My intention to build a pro touring car being slowed down by some past slow finances. I'm now ready to get back into my project with the hope of having it ready for paint by next year this time. I got away from wrenching on my own cars for a while, but this project will be hands on with the help of my fiance and my friend who is and car NUT\engineer and mechanic. My intentions are to build a car that would be a strong street machine, but may also see some autocross and track time.
The background goes:1972 Cutlass was purchased locally from a college aged kid that apparently beat up on the trans and original 350. The interior had already been *******ized with cheap seats and Autozone guages. :screwy:The good is the body was better than several I'd seen. I was always told "get a good body, you can buy a motor.." I was going to do a restomod, maybe just wheels and suspension. I changed my mind because this car was not stock in the first place and restoring to original would be more time\money than moving in ths direction which is really more me. After reading a lot here and making a plan, I started my parts quest.

Any helpful advice is always appreciated....

Here are my initial plans (*=some parts I already have):
Engine and trans swap--455 bored .030 with C heads ported and mated to 4l80e using Simple Shift Standalone controller *
ATS/AFX spindles *
SPC Lowering springs *
Adjustable upper trailing arms *
Boxed lower trailing arms *
Dynomax headers -*
Hydroboost *
Hydratech Stainless Hydroboost line set *
C5 disc brake upgrade *
GTO Seats- *
Speedhut guages and custom center console *
Rushforth Rated X Wheels 18x9, 19x10 *
Magnaflow 3" Exhaust *
American Autowire Power Plus 20 *
Hellwig front and rear sway bars *
Varishock QS1 *
Have some pics of original and present condition. Winter is coming so I'm trying to build my parts stash, now so I can play in my garage.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:09 AM
On The Tree

Here it is with the front end and drivetrain removed. Cleaned of the firewall and rattle canned it with self etching primer and high heat Krylon. It won't win any shows, but it looks a lot better. Also degreased the frame and sprayed it. My fiance is actually responsible for the firewall but refuses to take pics...LOL

A little cleaner now...Tried to smooth some of the dimples...

Old 08-08-2013, 09:12 AM
On The Tree

Here are some pics of the mocked front end with old Hotchkis parts. I had to move the car from my friends shop. I also have pics of my new(used) parts for my rear suspension. 2" drop springs and adjustable upper control arms.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:36 AM
On The Tree

I was orignally going with C5 swap, so I purchased hubs from Ed Miller....

Picked up a set of C5 calipers, rotors and pads from a Craigslist seller for $250. Rotors are great to get on the road with. Will upgrade to slotted and drilled later. Now I just need to call Tobin for brake lines and adapter brackets. :yeah:

Old 08-08-2013, 10:38 AM
On The Tree

After a conversation with Mark @ SC&C, I changed out my suspension idea and went with SPC adjustable uppers and GW lowers.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:44 AM
On The Tree

These were some of the parts I picked up for my Olds 455 build that went missing.

My Canton Racing pan with trap door baffles

Engine rebuilt and assembled with Melling HV Oil pump, Moroso windage tray and Canton pan installed.

Motor without intake and "shop" valve covers. My polished covers will be installed after I get in the car.

Intake installed first to keep oil from running out when we rotate to bottom end.

Pan and old pump removed, installing studs

Rotational clearance checked.New windage tray, pump and pickup installed. I have plenty of empty boxes with Summit "thanking me for my order"...lol

All done. Gotta Clove the Canton pan with the bung for the oil cooler line.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:51 AM
On The Tree

Speedhut gauges ordered and mocked in stock bezel

My fiance made some templates and setup the guages

She made some templates and cut them out with blade.

Cut out the center of the old bezel leaving a small lip to epoxy the ABS

She did the work, I get to take the pics...
Old 08-08-2013, 10:54 AM
On The Tree

More parts added to the list

I called Mark to order ATS spindles, things are finally looking up. This week I received some packages to get my spirits up...

I also have the Hellwig adjustable rear sway bar ready for install, with the front currently on order. So my suspension will no consist of:

ATS AFX spindles
SPC adjustable uppers(installed)
GW tubular lowers (installed)
Varishock QS1
Adjustable rear upper
UMI boxed rear lowers

Once the shocks are here I will begin the suspension install and put it on the ground. I wasted an entire summer on that debacle with the spindles. Adding to the list of parts is a tilt floor column from a '73 Grand Prix and Twist Machines Paddle Shrifter. The paddles have yet to ship, but I'm looking out for them soon. I'm sure between installing that suspension and laying out the harness, I will have enough to do.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:56 AM
On The Tree

So when I got home yesterday I had a couple of boxes waiting on my front porch....

I got these of a guy on the Corvette forum who had an extra set. They are in pretty good condition for the price. I'm not worried about the cosmetics too much because I plan on powder coating them a different color before paint. I still need the mounting bolts which I ordered from GM Parts Direct. I checked the clearance with Tobin's template and it seems I will need to switch to flush mount valve stems and a 5/8 rear spacer in the rear. I found a site that makes hub centric billet spacers to order. I'll get them once I order my rotors and pads. Once my shocks arrive I'll start assembly of the entire suspension.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:00 AM
On The Tree

I got my, my Shrifter from Twist Machines. Steve is a great guy to work with and these couldn't have turned out better.

Sorry for the sucky camera phone pics, but I was anxious to see how they would look with my MOMO wheel. My rebuilt tilt column should be ready next week, so I can start putting things together. I'm expecting my shocks tomorrow, so this weekend the games can begin
Old 08-08-2013, 11:06 AM
On The Tree

Sorry for the iPhone pics, but is quick and conveinent.

My car on the ground for the first time since February when I remove the Hotchkis font and and sold it. Delays with L&H spindles caused me to switch to the ATS, which is something I wish I had done sooner. I mounted the calipers and some used rotors I have just reduce the pile of parts I have waiting in my living room. Those are C5 rotors, so the are smaller than the ones to be installed.

Here is a pic of the fron end finally on the ground.

I swapped the rear springs, but skipped the shocks as I need to finish holiday errands. I believe the old springs were from station wagon because the were really stiff. There is NO jack under the rear of the car!

After installing the SPC rear springs. Once I have the tank, Dynamat and interior, the car should sit right where I want.

Old 08-08-2013, 11:10 AM
On The Tree

I ordered a Moser 9" floater housing and axle package.

IMG]http://i897.photobucket.com/albums/ac173/csouth89/delilah/housing_zps3ca9788a.jpg[/IMG]

Center section parts from Quick Performance

all assembled with polished pinion

Old 08-08-2013, 11:13 AM
On The Tree

My friend just sent me pics of my housing with the caliper brackets and rotors mounted. I can't wait to get it home and painted! :firefire:

Old 08-08-2013, 11:16 AM
On The Tree

pulled the Olds type "O" rear then installed my new Varishocks, adjustable upper control arms and Moser floater rear.

Car should settle once tank and interior is added.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:18 AM
On The Tree

Here is the 4L80e I had built

What it looked like after drop off
Old 08-08-2013, 11:25 AM
On The Tree

That's the condensed version of my last 2yrs. I thought it was only fair to let anyone peeking in see what actually brought me here to LS1tech as a user more so than a casual browser. I'm open to any feedback or suggestions. Thanks in advance...

So I picked an LS2 out of an '07 TBSS. I used the money i had slated for my FAST Ez-EFI and some I used to start my paint fund. No use having a painted car without a drivetrain.

I also picked up a built 4L70e from a local guy. My friend help out on the trans funds because he wants to see my project finished as much as I do.

Last edited by csouth; 08-09-2013 at 08:37 AM.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:30 AM
On The Tree

I started a new parts pile. This is expensive.

Chevelle frame mounts, Energy Suspension motor mounts and Dirty Dingo adjustable adapter plates

LS2 Intake. I've read the different opinion of truck vs ls2, but I like aesthetics of the car intake

Pacesetter F-body LS headers. Cheaper than A body LS swap headers.

Old 08-08-2013, 04:02 PM
Teching In

Nice!!!!! luv the Rushforths
Old 08-09-2013, 08:25 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jaydub
Nice!!!!! luv the Rushforths
Thanks. I went out of the box with an all bronze wheel that matched a color scheme I had in mind. That will have to wait now since my paint deposit was used for a new motor.

Quick Reply: LS2/4L70E in 72 Cutlass