Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1966 Malibu LSX376/T56 PT attempt...

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 08:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see what you mean. I hadn't thought about the exhaust yet - now that I think about it the bars of the crossmember could stand to be tucked up closer to the body. I was kind of hoping not to have to weld it but I like the idea of doing it like yours.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 08-26-2013, 03:59 PM
Staging Lane

Got the trans mounted. I cut and rewelded the original like so many others have done. It wasn't too bad.

Pretty excited to have the motor and trans sitting in the car for real. Hoping to get brakes done and fuel plumbed over the next few days.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Signing on to the thread. Nice work. Love the car.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:35 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jamier2
Little background: I've always loved 66 Chevelles above all other cars. [/IMG]
ME too but I could only afford a cutlass. It reminded me of my 66 138 I had in high school when I bought it in 1997

congrats!!!!!
Rocky

mine was also that same blue color
Old 08-27-2013, 08:19 PM
Staging Lane

Got the front sway bar on today and adjusted the suspension to where it is close to drivable. I got the Hellwig sway bar and it is pretty wide at the mounts. I know they're supposed to be as vertical as possible but mine are not really close - the top (sway bar end) is almost 2" wider than the sway bar mount location on the SPC lower control arms. I doubt it'll hurt anything, but I wish it lined up better.

I should have my water pump and accessory drive finished tomorrow. I have no freaking idea where to plumb all these small hose fittings on my motor to??? I know there's a steam line, and a PCV line that needs to go through a filter (and on to intake???) but there are two more that I have no idea what they are. The GMPP instructions mention that they are part of the PCV system (I think) but they don't say what to do with them.

I'm really delaying the brakes - only because I am fairly sure it'll be an aggravating experience.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:20 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by rockytopper
ME too but I could only afford a cutlass. It reminded me of my 66 138 I had in high school when I bought it in 1997

congrats!!!!!
Rocky

mine was also that same blue color
I love the blue. I knew I wanted this year or a 70, but finding this one with the blue I wanted too was just icing on the cake.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:57 PM
Staging Lane

Got the accessory drive finished. Very big thanks to Pace performance. I ordered a water pump from them expecting the bolts to be included in the accessory drive kit I also purchased. I was mistaken, but they went ahead and sent the bolts right away, even though they really didn't have to.

Here's the finished accessory drive:

I went ahead and tried the cheap way to get my power steering plumbed, and it worked great! I ordered a $14.xx 2001 Corvette PS pressure hose from advance auto and it works great. The tubing is a little torqued when I finished, but nowhere near concerning.

The clearance between the fitting and the pulley is pretty small, but it shouldn't ever move and it does clear.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

Looking great!
Old 08-29-2013, 10:32 AM
12 Second Club

Looks great, 66 is my favorite too
Old 08-31-2013, 09:13 PM
Staging Lane

Got most of the controller harness on today and started the brakes. I'm ready to put the doghouse back on and get the front buttoned up before my new rear end shows up.

Very irritated at the wait for my shocks. 3 dang months and no response from Marcus at SC&C. I keep reading great things about the Varishock QS1s so I really hope the wait is worth it.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:14 PM
Staging Lane

Really hoped I could finish before the LS Fest but it won't happen this year. Started ordering parts 3 months ago...

I'll be there this year, and hopefully the car will be next year.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:48 PM
Staging Lane

Well I went to LS Fest today (lucky it is here in my hometown) and got to see a 66 El Camino and 3 66-7 Chevelles with LS engines.

I bit the bullet tonight and orderd CBM's truck coil brackets (CBM-11016). I was glad to see two of them had seats very similar to the BMW 3 series seats I plan to use and they didn't look out of place in the cars. Husband and wife had one each. His was blue/silverish coupe and hers was yellow convertible.

I got my radiator on but I think I will have to lower it to make sure it clears the hood. Progress is pretty slow.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:50 PM
Staging Lane

Slow progress is still progress I guess. I removed the stock fuel lines and a few wires I won't be using. Also got starter and radiator on for good. I did lower the radiator a couple inches to be sure it'll fit.

Need radiator and steam vent hoses. Need to decide which fan I'm going to use. Probably go with a single. Nice thing about the GMPP kit is it comes with built in fan control and relay. Just need to connect the wire and it should be good.

Also need to order a set of universal spark plug wires so I can get that going when my brackets get here.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:55 PM
Staging Lane

I ended up buying a Derale dual fan (4000 cfm, 50 amp) setup that includes a nice shroud and even has flaps for higher air flow when driving. Seems to be well made and it even comes with relays for install. I'll be using the GMPP control wire to activate the relays to get power to the fans. It's not in this picture (didn't realize that in my original post) - this is just the Griffin LS radiator in final position. I will have to trim the shroud some to clear my radiator hose inlet/outlet and the drain. You can see where I mounted my new fuse block and computer in this picture though.

I also got my Dakota Digital gauge cluster and got it mounted. Still need to finish the dash re-assembly, but it's very close to done.

Not a lot of progress but still making progress. I did get my Chassisworks QS1 front shocks in today too. They look very nice. Now to disassemble the front to put them on...
Old 09-14-2013, 07:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

very cool....subscribed
Old 09-16-2013, 07:33 PM
Staging Lane

I think the next project will be to put the hump/floor back. I think having the interior back would help motivate me some.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:31 PM
Staging Lane

Started it up tonight and it ran like a champ! I ended up using the Airaid U-Build-It for the intake and got almost everything under the hood done for good now.

Just waiting for my rear end to show up to get this thing on the road. Sounds so good. I'll see if I can figure out how to load a video.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:44 PM
Staging Lane

Old 10-21-2013, 09:56 PM
Staging Lane

Saying it sounds good is putting it mildly!!!! WOW! Would love to get more details on the pedal install. Seeing all these t56 conversions is making me rethink the plans for mine. Nice work!
Old 10-21-2013, 10:50 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by skongolf
Saying it sounds good is putting it mildly!!!! WOW!
Thanks. I am pretty happy with it for sure.

Originally Posted by skongolf
Would love to get more details on the pedal install. Seeing all these t56 conversions is making me rethink the plans for mine. Nice work!
The pedal was simple once I figured it out. It doesn't have a flat spot on it to mount since it is from a newer Corvette. (not sure what year, mine came in the GMPP controller kit). I ended up just using all-thread and jam nuts to get it positioned how I wanted it. Was going to fabricate a mount but it's so sturdy I just left it like that. If I ever smooth the firewall I may have a mount fixed up but I doubt that'll happen anytime soon.

Quick Reply: 1966 Malibu LSX376/T56 PT attempt...