Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine build noooooob

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 08:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine build noooooob

So I have a 94 T/A with the LT1 still in it and runnin strong. BUUUUUT the inevitable LS swap bug has hit.

I've already done a bunch of weight reduction, with more still to come. I'm also getting a fab9 from MWC to prepare for the power I want.

That being said, I'm wanting to build an LQ4 to be between 500-550 rwhp, N/A,. I plan on doing forged internals, and port and polish, true duals and a good dyno tune at my buddy's shop. Money is not a major issue and I'll be taking my time collecting the parts.

I'm a noob at this, and my buddy owns a shop, so he's gonna help me with putting everything together.

I'm just not sure as to all the parts I'm going to need to make this possible. If anyone could provide a somewhat detailed parts list, that would be fantastic!

Like I said, when it comes to engine builds, I'm a noob as this is my first. I already know that I'll have to swap steering, k member, and some components of the trans. I also plan on getting my harness built from the Merv when the time arrives.

But like I said, anyone with parts list, like the little nitpicky parts, I'd really appreciate it! Thanks.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:29 PM
Launching!

I'm fairly certain you can get to 550 without forged internals. There is a "How to" on here on getting to 500hp. I haven't read it but I believe with a set of good flowing heads, cam, headers/exhaust injectors, fuel system and valve train you could get close and have a small shot of NO2 to get the rest.
I'd use an Lq9 motor because of the flat tops, or and ls2. If you use forged internals you will have a slight sowing machine sound as forged pistons are somewhat noisy. If you want domed pistons you can save money and get Hypereurectic pistons, if you get the right year engine it could have the better rods and they would handle that hp fine.
If money isn't a concern, get a good rotating assembly. Maybe stroked to a 402/408 depending on whether or not you bore the block. I find it a waste of money to bore the block for 5ci unless the cylinder walls are scuffed up something narly.
Also with the 6.0 liter motors you can run ls3/l92 square port heads. They flow great but will net you less low end torque and low rpm's from what I have read. Over all they're great heads and can hardly be beat for their price.

Your going to have to have a fairly high compression ratio on this motor. Perhaps e85 on your fuel.(if available)
I'd read the how to and look into some no2. maybe even an lsx454 block from gm. 550 is easy peasy with that monster.

And believe me if I have gave you any wrong info, there will be plenty of people with far more experience than I to correct my assumptions.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

550 hp at the wheels without a charger on it....sounds a little too ambitious. That's like 610 at the crank....and that's about what the LS9 puts out....with a supercharger on it.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:23 PM
On The Tree

Awesome info Adam. Ya im thinking of going to a 408. The main reason i wanted to go with an LQ4 over the LQ9 is pricing, but i figured it's worth the extra coin. I know the heads, block, headers and exhaust setup i want. I'm just not sure about the parts for the internals and all that.

Also, I'm wanting to stay away from spray. I might eventually do a turbo, but that's only a mist of a thought.

I'll definitely have to check out that 500 hp how-to. If I don't find it, hopefully someone will be able to post a link. Haha.

Thanks!
Old 08-16-2013, 11:26 PM
On The Tree

Dave, I'm always ambitious. Haha. I just didnt know the likelihood of it happening. Like I said, I might throw on a turbo when everything is done, but i prefer to stay all motor. I looked at Merv's 408 thread a while back and thought about basing mine off of his a little bit.

I'll do more searching around, especially with the LQ9.

thanks
Old 08-17-2013, 07:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

you can get the lq4 and get new flat top pistons for about $250 from summit $350 with rings. I used the speed pro 4.030 when I did my rebuild. The machine shop said they were nice pistons, but were not weight matched well. He took care of that.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:56 PM
Launching!

If you plan to go fi in the future you should set your hp goals lower. Say 400 with a medium sized cam with 115+ ls. Keep flat tops (forged depending how addicted to hp you'll get). To get your 550 you'd have to have around 13:1 cr and race fuel. My uncle's making around 550 on a 408 and he has 13.5 cr with race fuel. (well did have, his transmission pump locked up, grenaded the tranny, broke his dragon slayer crank in half, cracked his block destroyed his heads, even got the cam.).

You'll goal can be achieved but if you decide you want to in the future you'll have to rebuild the motor again with different internals. Practically a who new engine.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:05 AM
On The Tree

Damn....ya I'll have to do some more reasearch. Right now I have a rebuilt LT1 with CAI and magnaflow catback. I'm tired of the weak sauce. Haha
Old 08-19-2013, 06:49 AM
On The Tree

Just out of curiosity, what kinda $$$ am I looking at spending to get to 500rwhp? I've seen several people assemble a bangin lq4 for several grand, but I'm just wanting to get a general guesstimate
Old 08-19-2013, 04:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just picked up an LS2 for $3200. 405 stock, plus a tune, headers and cold air intake....in the 450-470 range. I believe it was Super Chevy magazine that dynoed a stock LS2 at 462 hp, with long tube headers being the only upgrade.

You can probably start with the LQ4 and come up to that kind of power..but you're gonna need heads, a cam, some kind of car intake or aftermarket intake. If you want to hit 500 or more at the wheels, it's gonna cost you....and I don't know any way to do it without forced induction. A wild guess...$10,000
Old 08-19-2013, 05:43 PM
On The Tree

Dang. LS2 sounds look a good route to go with. So many options!!! Ugh!!! -____-

Quick Reply: Engine build noooooob