Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Getting My "Engine" Light To Work!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 02:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help Getting My "Engine" Light To Work!

I nearly passed my emissions check on my 1998 F150/5.3 with a T56 swap. The only thing that failed me was that my dash "check engine" light doesn't operate. How can I get this to work? Is there a pin on the ECU that needs to be hooked up and activated?
Old 08-23-2013, 04:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 192 Likes on 139 Posts

Yes, there is one wire coming from the PCM that sends out a ground to turn the light on. Your original dash should have one side of the light powered up with an ignition hot, the other side to the PCM. Would have to know what year engine/harness you have to give you a pin location though.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

It's a 2000 5.3 from a Silverado with the donor PCM. I got the service manual for the Silverado so I should be able to figure it out. Thanks for your help!! Good to know the PCM sends out a ground to turn the light on. Wonder how the emission check checks it?

Today was an unbelievable experience. The PCM has been HP Tuner tuned to eliminate all the emissions. I knew that so I warned the emissions tech that it was going to fail. He floored me when he said, "I don't know what you did but it's throwing no codes but I have to fail you because your "check engine" light doesn't work. Get that fixed and your golden." Can you believe that?
Old 08-23-2013, 10:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 192 Likes on 139 Posts

You don't really get rid of the emmission, you just turn off the error reporting, so you will throw no codes. Check engine light should be an easy fix. Good luck with it.
Old 08-24-2013, 02:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

That makes sense. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Help Getting My "Engine" Light To Work!