Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Build up stock LS1 or start fresh with cast iron 6L

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 11:46 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Build up stock LS1 or start fresh with cast iron 6L

I know this has been posted before, but I haven't really found an answer. If there is a thread go ahead and point me too it.

I'm in the process of building a 1957 Chevy pickup. It's not going to be raced or anything. It will tow occasionally. I've got a complete Corvette complete pullout LS1 I was planning to put in it. I do want more power, especially at lower RPMs. I also have a bare 6L block sitting in the garage.

When looking at changing the heads, cam, and intake on the LS1, it's pretty close to to the same price as putting a stroker bottom end, as cast L98 heads, custom cam, and a LS3 intake on the cast iron block. They both end up at about the same HP. Which would work better in a mostly street driven truck? It seems like the built up LS1s are mostly for high RPM cars. I could probably finance a big portion of the 6L buildup by selling the LS1.

I could also just bite the bullet and go with a LS3 crate motor. The GMPP LS3 is only a couple thousand more.

Any thoughts from people who have done both?
Old 08-24-2013, 11:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

All things being equal the 6L iron block is better choice for your application IMO. I recently went with a 6L LQ9 iron block myself because of cost, durability, potential, etc...

Quick Reply: Build up stock LS1 or start fresh with cast iron 6L