Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

95 Trans Am, soon to be a 98-02?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 05:46 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 Trans Am, soon to be a 98-02?

I moved the thread here myself because this actually looks like where I should have placed it to begin with....

What's up LS1tech? It's been a longgg time for me since I've visited.

Meet Alice. This is my latest F-Body. It is my fourth 4th-gen F-Body. I also owned a 2010 2SS. But something about 4th Gen T/A's really makes me happy to drive them.

This is a 1995 Trans Am. Red exterior and red leather interior. This car has 80,000 original miles on it (and going up fast because I'm driving the crap out of it). It's in excellent condition given that it's 19 years old. I was on a tight budget when I bought this car. Having only paid $4700 for her, I feel like I did pretty good since almost everything works. The horn doesn't work, the A/C needs charged, there was a fog light out, speakers are blown out, and there's some damage to the passenger rocker panel, and there are chips in the paint and the rear bumper is faded. All in all I feel like it was a great buy. Especially now after the plans I've come up with for this car.

One thing I've really noticed is how strong the exhaust gases always smell behind the car. My friend's car smelled the same way, and his catalytic converters were gutted out, so I'm wondering if that was done here. The "Service Engine Soon" light comes on from time to time for a while, I have yet to scan it to see what it is, so maybe it's related. But regardless, It IS a 1995 car, and because it can't be emission tested, this could be a great project.

Here are some ideas I have for the car.

- Engine swap: Dumping the LT1 in favor of an LS1. I'm going to have the engine built before dropping it in.
- Transmission: LT1 to LS1 T56 swap. Swap parts to configure T56 for LS1 use. Maybe use this opportunity to beef it up as well.
- Rear End: Moser 9" and a new driveshaft too
- Weld in Subframe Connectors. I'm sure I'll do other suspension stuff too once I decide what I want.
- Brakes: Corvette Brakes conversion I should be able to get the hookup on this.
- Exhaust: Resonator muffler(s) and pipes (SLP?), getting rid of the Rustmaster that's there and the stock pipes. SLP Longtubes? I guess it depends on the power adder.
- Supercharger. Still up in the air on what I want. Probably NOT going to be a turbo setup.
- Body parts swap. Ditching the 93-97 parts in favor of 98-02 parts.
- Paint. Not sure whether or not I'm sticking with red. I hate red cars (and red interior) but I actually like this one for some reason. I just can't escape the thoughts that since it's getting repainted maybe I should go with a color thats more fun. I had an SOM WS6 and loved it. Maybe?
- Honeycomb tail light swap, nuff said.
- "CETA" painted rear bumper.
- WS6 Hood w/ slim stripes down the sides of the scoops
- 01-02 Seats (that means I'll be selling my red interior) in Ebony
- Hurst Shifter with UMI Short Stick (actually have the stock hurst shifter from my WS6 still.
- LS7 Clutch and LS2 Flywheel? I think that was the popular choice back when I had my old one.
- 18" C6 wheels/tires by OE Wheels in Black (? this is still up in the air)
- '02 center console swap
- Window tint... dark
- Replacement speakers, old ones are blown
- New Head Unit with Nav, requires double-din conversion. My buddy's came out great. I already bought a Sony single slot head unit that does everything it just doesn't look as nice. This will be the absolute last mod.

Having owned both a 97 and an 01 prior to buying this car, I really do like both body styles, but obviously there's more curb appeal with the newer styling. If I had the money at the time I would have just bought another 01-02 WS6. Then going back to the emissions testing and inspection, those cars require you to have cats and for it to pass. Not on a 1995. I've heard how controversial people find this subject, but I feel like this is a valid reason given the extremes I plan to take this car down the road.

This isn't a month-long project. This is going to take at least a year or two for me to tackle. I would be interested to hear what everyone thinks.

It will be really cool for people to swear its a 98+ even after looking under the hood.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:18 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like you have planned everything out really well.

That is a very nice LTX car.

The only thing you did not cover is what you plan on doing with the harness and or wiring.

Bill

Standalone LS Swap Harnesses IN STOCK!
LSX, LTX Stand alone swap harnesses. S10 LSX conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses, 24x conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses. LT1 to LSX PLUG AND PLAY Harnesses.
sales@bp-automotive.com
www.bp-automotive.com
1-888-467-4491
Old 09-08-2013, 08:55 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm with ya on the 4th gens. I love em too. Oh btw ditch the factory hurst shifter and get an after market one. Even the hurst shifter summit sells is better then the factory one.

Quick Reply: 95 Trans Am, soon to be a 98-02?