Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which is cheaper/easier- LT1 or LSx into 97 3.8/auto Camaro

Old 09-16-2013, 02:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which is cheaper/easier- LT1 or LSx into 97 3.8/auto Camaro

I have a 97 Camaro convertible that I'm thinking of doing an LT or LS engine swap on. It has a 3.8 and a 4L60e. It has a great body and chassis, but the trans is starting to act up and the engine needs a head gasket. I tried selling it, but no one wants a V6-powered Camaro, let alone one that needs engine and trans work. I have a bit into it, so I don't want to take $500 or so for it. Therefore, I'm thinking of swapping in an LT1 or an LSx engine and trans.

I had emailed someone I know that has done a few LS conversions and he said not to bother with an LS and to just go out and by an LS-powered car. Then I thought maybe putting an LT1 into it would be cheaper (and easier?).

I can find an LT1 crossmember easy enough (found one with complete brakes and suspension attached for $250) as well as finding an LT1 and 4L60e. Would I just need the correct wiring harness and computer at that point? Anything else I'm missing? Ooooooooor, should I just forget about the LT1 and go straight to something like a 5.3 and 4L60e? I figure I'd need the same parts (engine, trans, LS crossmember, harness that needs to be adapted, computer).

I guess my big question is, is it cheaper to go with an LT1 setup or should I just go LS? And secondly, what about ease of installation (I'm talking time-wise, not if I have the ability)?
Old 09-16-2013, 03:04 PM

Go with a budget ls style swap. Utilize the 5.3 as you suggested. Your are gonna put some money into it either way and you will see the value better with an ls style engine. Swapping in the LTI for your v6 is like replacing crap with puke. I would rather clean up puke, but I'm not a fan of either.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll 2nd the ls swap. you have to track down a bunch of matching parts anyways & spend time swapping it all , so make it worth your while in the long run.
I've had my 99'ls1 swap for 11 years now& never once have I had to change the optispark unit.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:31 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

See the link to my build thread in my sig for ideas.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:38 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Another vote for the lm7 , forget the lt1 , since these cars came with ls1s , it should be easy
Old 09-16-2013, 07:38 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the comments, guys. A friend of mine has a low mileage 5.3 with F body accessories and intake he said he'd sell, so that would be a start. Might be on my way to a LS swap!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Which is cheaper/easier- LT1 or LSx into 97 3.8/auto Camaro