Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st gen F-body Clutch Bracket with Heim Joint

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 11:52 AM
TECH Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default 1st gen F-body Clutch Bracket with Heim Joint

Background: I am installing an LS1 and T56 into a 68 Camaro using the 4th Gen clutch master.
I was looking up this clutch bracket with the intention of just buying the bracket from Detroit Speed or similar. In my search of ATs brackets I found that SpeedTech performance sells this bracket with a heim joint kit that minimizes the modification to the clutch pedal. Instead of fabricating a bracket and welding it on the pedal, you merely modify the end of the clutch master, install the new heim joint and drill a new hole on the clutch pedal. On it's face this seems easier, but on the downside if I ever have to replace the clutch master I have to modify the new one again where if I make the bracket on the pedal, it is plug and play.
I have researched many threads, but I don't remember anyone going this route.

Thoughts??
Old 09-20-2013, 06:01 AM
TECH Regular

I'm leaning towards the bracket only and leaving the clutch master stock, but I would love to hear from someone as a sanity check.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

I think keeping the stock master is the way to go so it's an easy swap out if it fails on you. Modifying the pedal is very simple to do. I ended up welding a tab on the pedal in my Chevelle and it was complete.

Old 09-20-2013, 07:50 AM
TECH Regular

Exactly what I was thinking. Lets say I go on Power Tour and fail the master. Much easier to go to XYZ Auto Parts store and replace it.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Seems like a good idea to use the Joint.. but like you said.. if it fails, you would have to buy parts and fab something up to match.

I used a Repo Clutch pedal setup. I cut the tab off, repositioned it, held in place with a Vise Grip to check Travel and then once it was correct, welded it. The was able to use a OEM master that could be found everywhere.

I also added a pedal overtravel stop.

BC
Old 09-20-2013, 09:56 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks BC. I already have a stop on my pedal, so I am good there. Both you and 64 SS talk about the bracket already being on the stock pedal. Is this a Chevelle thing? My Camaro pedal is basically a single arm with two holes drilled in it.

Quick Reply: 1st gen F-body Clutch Bracket with Heim Joint