Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1950 Chevy Short Box w/ 5.3

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 98 Likes on 68 Posts

Injector connectors are called EV6 style. Ebay for cheap set of 8.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aknovaman
Injector connectors are called EV6 style. Ebay for cheap set of 8.
Thanks. After I saw your post I looked and I found some on there for about $30.
Old 05-30-2014, 05:34 PM
On The Tree

Figured I'd share some pics. Not much to show but things are going to start happening now. The chassis is disassembled and at the blaster and now I'm rebuilding my engine since I found rust in the cylinders.

Here is the bare frame. Its hanging off the lift to make the finish welding on the bottom easy.

And here is my motor. I pulled the head off and found an inch and a half of water in the #6 cylinder because the guy who sold it to me left it outside for a while. I got it really cheap and now I can build it up like new.

And since there are boring pics I figured I'd share a taste of things to come. My next LS swap will be on this 67 GTO convertible. Its been my dads since the early 80's and it just hasn't done anything other than be a shelf for 30 years. We plan to keep the stock transmission so that the His/Her shifter can be kept but then drop a 6.0L in it. The stock motor is gone so LS it is. We unburied it since this pic was taken.

I'm in a picture uploading mood so here is a pic of my truck working. If you read my whole thread you know I am building an LS powered chassis to swap this body to but for now I'm using it in its stock form. Max speed of 55mph with the pedal to the floor! I took it to the landfill to drop off some stuff.

Stay tuned, I'm close to done with the chassis and wiring for the engine. Then the engine build and hopefully the first fire up before my baby comes in August.
Old 06-08-2014, 06:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Any updates?

Here is a link to my truck project. Looks like we are heading in the similar directions.

http://s704.photobucket.com/user/akn...w/COOP%20Truck
Old 06-08-2014, 11:56 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In for a fellow Minnesotan, love to see local builds. Looks like your making good progress, let me know if you ever need another hand. I'm currently building a Toyota Pickup with an iron 5.7, 799 heads, 4L80E and a NP241C.
Old 06-08-2014, 08:51 PM
On The Tree

Any updates?

Here is a link to my truck project. Looks like we are heading in the similar directions.

http://s704.photobucket.com/user/akn...w/COOP%20Truck
Unfortunately not much. I have limited tools at my house so while I do the chassis and motor I'm keeping the truck 4 hours north at my dad's place. He owns a shop and have lifts and specialty tools. I think I am going to go back up there this weekend and try and get a little more done. I have a spare LS6 intake laying around so I have sanded that so I can try my hand at painting it. Not really a picture worthy update yet. If it looks like crap I'll use my stock black one and if it looks good then I'll use the painted one.

Our trucks look almost identical, right down to the rust. Have you started building it yet?

Originally Posted by Envy
In for a fellow Minnesotan, love to see local builds. Looks like your making good progress, let me know if you ever need another hand. I'm currently building a Toyota Pickup with an iron 5.7, 799 heads, 4L80E and a NP241C.
I'm going to take you up on that. Here in a few weeks I'll be dragging my chassis back and I could use an experienced hand getting it all squared away. What part of Minneapolis are you in? Are you on any other truck boards? I swear your user name looks familiar, maybe on 67-72 chevy trucks?
Old 06-08-2014, 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Have not started mine yet. Got it delivered last week. I am collecting parts. I have engine, trans, harness and PCM. Started s10 frame search as well as 8.8 explorer rear end. Going to use ebay mustang front crossmember.

Bet you did not get 4 inches of dirt inside your truck. ;-).

What's the radiator stock dimensions? I am debating using a cross flow radiator to get rid of the huge bump behind the hood latch.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aluminum-Radiator-1986-1987-1988-MAZDA-RX-7-RX7-FC3S-S4-1-3L-Turbo-MT-/251449154451?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item3a8b899b93
Almost done with my jaguar swap. Here is a link to it.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...99-jaguar.html

Last edited by aknovaman; 06-08-2014 at 09:34 PM.
Old 06-08-2014, 10:15 PM
On The Tree

Have not started mine yet. Got it delivered last week. I am collecting parts. I have engine, trans, harness and PCM. Started s10 frame search as well as 8.8 explorer rear end. Going to use ebay mustang front crossmember.

Bet you did not get 4 inches of dirt inside your truck. ;-).

What's the radiator stock dimensions? I am debating using a cross flow radiator to get rid of the huge bump behind the hood latch.

For Aluminum Radiator 1986 1987 1988 Mazda RX 7 RX7 FC3S S4 1 3L Turbo MT | eBay

Almost done with my jaguar swap. Here is a link to it.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...99-jaguar.html
Is your stock frame bad? If its good I would keep it. By the list of parts you say you are searching for it seems like you are undecided on what direction to go. See if you run the stock frame than you can run a mustang II IFS and then you could go with the explorer 8.8, this is what I did. If you went for the S10 frame swap you will need to do a lot more fabrication for body mounts but that would come with the S10 IFS already (if its 2wd) so you would have no use for a Mustang II kit. Actually I doubt they make a Mustang II kit for the S10 frame. Also if you run the s10 frame it would be loads easier to run a 4x4 s10 rear end that bolts in instead of try and make a Ford 8.8 fit. Decide what frame you are going to use before you collect too many parts. I'm a member of a board with loads of info on this model of truck, you should just browse it or join and it may be helpful. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/f...splay.php?f=13

My truck was filthy but definitely didn't have 4 inches of dirt in it. After a carb rebuild and some brake work I was driving it. In fact I use it regularly to do yard work and run to home depot. Now that my new chassis is almost finished I'll be swapping the body over soon.

I don't know what the stock radiator dimensions are off hand. You can probably find it online some place but I will try and remember to take some measurements for you. Its too dark out right now.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

I want mustang front end and 8.8 rear for durability. My 6.0L will be putting down over 450hp at the wheels.

I plan to back half the s10 rear frame just behind the cab for added wheel clearance for wider tires. The s10 frame does not get wider toward the rear of the frame. Plus the s10 frame has the springs, shocks and the right ride height built right in.

I have pics of my buddies frame on my photobucket page here. I forget how wide his rear tires are but I think they are 275's. He made me some custom inner wheel wells already. I looked at the TCI setup and like that it's bolt in but for the same $$$ I can have a a narrower frame and very little fab work.

http://s704.photobucket.com/user/akn...?sort=3&page=1

Last edited by aknovaman; 06-09-2014 at 05:44 AM.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:02 PM
On The Tree

Ok I think I got you now. On your buddy's pics he used the front half of his stock frame and the back half of a S10 frame. I see the stock frame is cut off right behind the cab. Doing that would let you run a mustang II kit upfront easy.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Bingo!

Sometimes it's hard for me to put it into words.

I uploaded a bunch of pics of his truck to show the stance I want. Also a bunch more pics of mine.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:42 PM
On The Tree

So there is a local auction website here where you bid and then go pick up your stuff. I couldn't resist a good deal so I bought a box of LS2 parts from an 06 GTO. I paid $45 for the accessory drive, waterpump, alternator, ac compressor, exhaust manifolds, fuel rail covers, power steering pump, oil pan with windage tray, and some other odds and ends. I figured I could get my $45 plus some selling it all. Then it dawned on me that my build has clearance issues and this is a tighter accessory drive.

Will a Gen 4 LS2 accessory drive fit on a Gen 3 5.3L engine? Other wise maybe I can find a trade partner in the classifieds section to get a Gen 3 LS1 set.
Old 07-11-2014, 12:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Root2812

Since I am swapping the LS6 intake on to a 5.3 should I use the MAP that came from the truck or from the car intake? I have both, one is the black label and the other is blue.

Anyone know a good source for the injector pigtails for the LS6 injectors? Those are EV1 right? and the truck is EV6? or is it the other way around?

thanks
The MAP sensors for truck or car are both 1-Bar, same connector too. Either will work.

Stock 1997-2004 LS1/LS6 injectors are EV1 style connectors. 2005+ LS2/LS3/LS7/etc are EV6 style connectors.
Old 07-11-2014, 12:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Root2812

Will a Gen 4 LS2 accessory drive fit on a Gen 3 5.3L engine?

Other than possibly having to drill/tap into a boss on the driver side of the block, all LS accessories will interchange for the most part, including the LS2 GTO accessory drive. You will need a GTO/F-Body style balancer in order to get the correct belt alignment though.
Old 07-11-2014, 05:09 PM
On The Tree

Thanks ford assassin. I appreciate it.
Old 07-20-2014, 03:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Updates ?
Old 07-20-2014, 07:44 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for checking in. Not much for updates. My 5.3 is torn down and on its was to the machine shop and the frame is still at the blasters. I have a baby coming in the next 3 weeks or so, so I may be slow to get going again until mid September. I did also get my fuel tank from Brothers Truck Parts this week.

I have been driving my old truck in stock form while I build the new chassis and motor but on my way to a car show yesterday I through a rod through the block. Even though I was going to scrap the motor it was still sad since I enjoyed driving it and it had hung on for 64 years.
Old 08-15-2014, 02:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice project, After having some vehicles done up with nice paint and all my next project will be something like this with the frame being done up like your doing (dropped) and keeping the body like yours is now /with steel wheels and better tires. rat rod sleeper

Last edited by LS1 Coupe; 08-15-2014 at 03:01 PM.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:47 PM
On The Tree

To me the whole patina paint thing is hit or miss. I have seen some that it looks great on and some like my truck where it looks like crap. I can't wait to get some paint on it. I think cars that were lighter colors originally look better patina'd than dark ones.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:05 PM
On The Tree

Progress has been slow but I'm back on track. 7 weeks ago I had my first child. My little girl has been great but it took a while to be able to get up north to work on my project.

For those of you just joining... I have been building an extra chassis so that my truck didn't have to be torn apart as long and I'll just swap the body later.

Anyhow, I loaded up my truck to head up north because my modified chassis had just came back from the sand blasters. My daily driver (a 2000 GMC jimmy) barely had the ***** to haul the truck/trailer but it got the job done. Unfortunately I got a flat on my 1950 chevy and had no spare. I have one of those 2 wheel tow dollys so it took two hours to swap a tire from the front to the back and put the flat on the front. Here are some pics of my misery.

We finally made it and I got to start painting the frame and rear end. I have some more parts to paint next time I go up there again but I'm happy with the progress so far. Once I paint the suspension parts I can bolt them back on. My motor is currently getting built so I am happy with where I am at. Here are some pics of the frame. (I used KBC coating its similar to POR15)

Yes I am missing some running board brackets but I'll snag those off my other frame.

Moving on.. My Jimmy started to crap out on me so I finally bit the bullet and got some LS power. On Monday I went and purchased a 2014 Silverado Crew Cab 4x4. Wow what an amazing truck. I was nervous to buy a $47,000 truck but in the end its just an amazing vehicle. I like having room for my family and dogs. The forest green metallic is a pretty color but the pictures don't do it justice because its cloudy.

Quick Reply: 1950 Chevy Short Box w/ 5.3