Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

many swapped parts and bolt ons - gasket and sealer advice please!!!

Old 10-03-2013, 12:05 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default many swapped parts and bolt ons - gasket and sealer advice please!!!

Hi all,

I am swapping a 98 LS1 into a 69 chevelle. I am doing several upgrades and with all the gaskets, sensors, grommets, bolts etc I am looking for advice on which need to be sealed and what to seal with...

1. for all bolts (cam, oil pump, timing chain, heads, valley cover, intake etc) should i use the blue sealer when putting all the bolts back in? which bolts require replacing upon removal if any?

2. gasket and sealer info?
-valley cover, timing chain, oil pan, valve cover gaskets - do i just bolt it down to the torque spec or do i add a sealer/gasket make with it?
-do i use any sealer when puttin on the new cam retainer? when re-installing the oil pump? upper timing gear?

sorry for all the questions but i have many as i put this engine back together. I know there are how to's and youtube vids but some just say "install gasket and torque to" but im not sure if there are using sealers with the gaskets or if its a no brainer.

thanks guys, as i have questions ill keep using this thread until it is back together!

upgrades im doing so any advice when reinstalling this stuff is helpful:
-ls6 ported oil pump
-tsp cam package with springs, pushrods, ls7 lifters and ls2 trays
-ls2 timing chain & gears
-ls6 03' 243 heads
-ls6 intake & lines
-ls6 valley conversion
Old 10-03-2013, 01:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

follow torque specs, and you shouldn't need sealer on any of the bolts because sealer can interfere with proper torque readings. I read an article where something like 530 motor oil affected torque reading by almost 20% or something like that.

As for gaskets themselves, look for GM gaskets or felpro. They really did not build these series of engines as poorly as some of the last sbc engines.... I did not use a drop of gasket sealer on my pan swap and it has hit 6K several times in the couple of passes I made on the road in front of my house. Not a single drop of leakage. Do make sure your oil dipstick tube has the O-ring on it, if not, put a little on the tube when installing into the block. Other than that, I can't think of anywhere you might need it. I did not use it on my water pump install either.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:39 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BigEd_72455

As for gaskets themselves, look for GM gaskets or felpro. They really did not build these series of engines as poorly as some of the last sbc engines.... I did not use a drop of gasket sealer on my pan swap and it has hit 6K several times in the couple of passes I made on the road in front of my house. Not a single drop of leakage.
I totaly agree with this , I have been building sbc , and bbc engines for years they allways have leak issues , none of the ls engines I have built have had leak issues
Old 10-03-2013, 11:04 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the responses so far, thats very helpful. I have just seen in some of the How To YouTube videos that people put the blue thread lock on some bolts as they re-install some parts like the cam retain, timing gears, timing cover etc.

Im pretty surprised that there is NO bolt on the engine that should need any type of seal/thread lock and no gasket that needs any gasket sealer aid or RTV. hmm.. well until someones proves otherwise ill keep this in mind
Old 10-03-2013, 11:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 192 Likes on 139 Posts

GM uses gray RTV on the block where the front and rear covers go on at the oil pan. If you look you'll see it when you take the old pan off. The service manual also says to use it. I would get a service manual and use it, as it will also have all your torque specs.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: many swapped parts and bolt ons - gasket and sealer advice please!!!