Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After market Fuel Level Gauge??

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 05:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default After market Fuel Level Gauge??

Ok I have a 1981 TTA, with a 2001 Silverrado harness&PCM, but my fuel assembly in the tank is out of a 96Trans AM. What in dash after market fuel level gauge will work and read correctly? The stock gauge is in there now, but don't read correctly.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:29 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, mine is not hooked up yet, so I can't tell you how easy it works (or even if it works at all), but I bought Speedhut gauges, and the fuel gauge has a little wire you can plug in with a button on it. You can hook it up to your stock sending unit in the tank, and there's a procedure to press the button at full, and at half, and at 1/4 (again, I don't understand this fully as I have not done it yet). This somehow magically teaches your gauge to read the stock sending unit.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by superdave84
Well, mine is not hooked up yet, so I can't tell you how easy it works (or even if it works at all), but I bought Speedhut gauges, and the fuel gauge has a little wire you can plug in with a button on it. You can hook it up to your stock sending unit in the tank, and there's a procedure to press the button at full, and at half, and at 1/4 (again, I don't understand this fully as I have not done it yet). This somehow magically teaches your gauge to read the stock sending unit.
That's a place to start, you got a part# or link? Anyone else?
Old 10-14-2013, 10:43 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was an article on thirdgen.org on how to switch the resistors to make a different sender work with a specific gauge.....not sure if it really works..

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/lt...-ls1-fuel.html

What you have in your 1981 is 0-90 ohms (dash gauge end)....0 is empty...as the float floats up....it increases to a max of 90ohm. GM changed the 0-90 ohm right around 1996-1997. Your fuel tank sender may be a 240-40 ohm... It won't work with the incorrect dash gauge.

Autometer sells some gauges that are programable. I chose to retain my 0-90 rather than re-buy the programable or ohm specific one. It all depends on what gauge series you want to go with....Good Luck,

Last edited by reedld; 10-14-2013 at 10:48 PM.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:45 PM
Launching!

If you have access to the fuel sender( not in the car yet or easy to get)....you can put an ohm meter on it......rotated up and down and the DVM will register the "ohm" reading...
Old 10-14-2013, 11:38 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MillsMotorvation
Ok I have a 1981 TTA, with a 2001 Silverrado harness&PCM, but my fuel assembly in the tank is out of a 96Trans AM. What in dash after market fuel level gauge will work and read correctly? The stock gauge is in there now, but don't read correctly.

Autometer makes several gauges that are fully programmable...sport comp 2 series is what I use

if you find out what the fuel sender is supposed to be empty and full from a google search, or find one at a local parts store that you can test, you can buy resistors and program the gauge without having to pull the pump....
or you can pull the pump, hook it up, set it empty, set it full and program the gauge without having to measure the resistance.
or you empty the tank...turn key on, hit the set button, fill the tank hit the set button again...then you can kill the key and its set....

all of their programmable gauges have ranges that are presets as well. 0-90 ohms is a good example used by many manufacturers...but only "some" of the programmable ones will allow you to set it to any value, so you have to doubel check that it has that mode before you buy it.....like I said.. I know the Sport Comp 2 series will do it because that is what I use.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

you need a 240-33 ohm gauge
Old 10-15-2013, 03:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for all the help!!!
Old 10-15-2013, 03:26 PM
Ls1tech & Truck Sponsor

Originally Posted by soundengineer
Autometer makes several gauges that are fully programmable...sport comp 2 series is what I use

if you find out what the fuel sender is supposed to be empty and full from a google search, or find one at a local parts store that you can test, you can buy resistors and program the gauge without having to pull the pump....
or you can pull the pump, hook it up, set it empty, set it full and program the gauge without having to measure the resistance.
or you empty the tank...turn key on, hit the set button, fill the tank hit the set button again...then you can kill the key and its set....

all of their programmable gauges have ranges that are presets as well. 0-90 ohms is a good example used by many manufacturers...but only "some" of the programmable ones will allow you to set it to any value, so you have to doubel check that it has that mode before you buy it.....like I said.. I know the Sport Comp 2 series will do it because that is what I use.
Good info to have, I am in the process of LS swapping my foxbody.

-Garrett
Old 10-16-2013, 04:20 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NitrousExpress
Good info to have, I am in the process of LS swapping my foxbody.

-Garrett
Look up my recent threads if your planning to run a fbody cluster in your fox swap

Quick Reply: After market Fuel Level Gauge??