Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help on 4.8 to 6.2 Swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 12:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help on 4.8 to 6.2 Swap

I am new to the LS platform and looking for some help/advice for 4.8 to 6.2 swap out. I have custom built "Jeep" crawler that was originally built with a 2002 4.8 and doesn't produce the torque and horsepower I need to get 1,000 lbs of tires and wheels spinning so I have purchased a 2008 L92 6.2 out of an Escalade and hope this will do the trick.

I am looking for any foreseen problems I will run into with the swap out. I have the 6.2 engine, wiring harness, ecm, sensors, switches, and all of the bolt ones with the 6.2. I am fairly confident that the ecm will have to be changed due to the VVT in the new engine but not 100% sure since computerized control is all new to me. I have always built old school carb set ups but time to move forward.

I am not too worried about the transmission since I am staying with the custom built Hughes set up with the 2,000 stall that I currently have in it but not sure if this will affect the TPS.

I also need to replace the intake since the donor Caddy was in a crunch and cracked the original so what would be a recommendation for something that will produce good torque and horsepower from 2,000 to 6,000 rpm? Looking at a Fast intake. Good or bad?

Any help/advice will be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:48 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AggieCrawler
I am new to the LS platform and looking for some help/advice for 4.8 to 6.2 swap out. I have custom built "Jeep" crawler that was originally built with a 2002 4.8 and doesn't produce the torque and horsepower I need to get 1,000 lbs of tires and wheels spinning so I have purchased a 2008 L92 6.2 out of an Escalade and hope this will do the trick.

I am looking for any foreseen problems I will run into with the swap out. I have the 6.2 engine, wiring harness, ecm, sensors, switches, and all of the bolt ones with the 6.2. I am fairly confident that the ecm will have to be changed due to the VVT in the new engine but not 100% sure since computerized control is all new to me. I have always built old school carb set ups but time to move forward.

I am not too worried about the transmission since I am staying with the custom built Hughes set up with the 2,000 stall that I currently have in it but not sure if this will affect the TPS.

I also need to replace the intake since the donor Caddy was in a crunch and cracked the original so what would be a recommendation for something that will produce good torque and horsepower from 2,000 to 6,000 rpm? Looking at a Fast intake. Good or bad?

Any help/advice will be greatly appreciated.
The easiest thing for you to do would be to use the lingenfelter trg 002. It converts the signal from 58x to 24x. You can use your existing harness and PCM. You would just need to get your PCM tuned for that application.

You will need a knock sensor extension harness, and you will need to drill and tap the sides of the block for the older knock sensors.

Or you could purchase a new harness and ECM, which would be much more expensive.

We have everything you need in stock, except the new harness. We build those to order.

Feel free to call us. If you do call us, we can explain some of your other options for your other questions.

Bill

Standalone LS Swap Harnesses IN STOCK!
LSX, LTX Stand alone swap harnesses. S10 LSX conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses, 24x conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses. LT1 to LSX PLUG AND PLAY Harnesses.
sales@bp-automotive.com
www.bp-automotive.com
1-888-467-4491
Old 10-28-2013, 09:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BP Automotive
The easiest thing for you to do would be to use the lingenfelter trg 002. It converts the signal from 58x to 24x. You can use your existing harness and PCM. You would just need to get your PCM tuned for that application.

You will need a knock sensor extension harness, and you will need to drill and tap the sides of the block for the older knock sensors.

Or you could purchase a new harness and ECM, which would be much more expensive.

We have everything you need in stock, except the new harness. We build those to order.

Feel free to call us. If you do call us, we can explain some of your other options for your other questions.

Bill
He already has the 6.2 harness and ecm. He just needs to mod the stock harness for stand alone and get the ecm flashed to remove vats, and rear O2's.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:16 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS1MCSS
He already has the 6.2 harness and ecm. He just needs to mod the stock harness for stand alone and get the ecm flashed to remove vats, and rear O2's.
Of course he could, but that would cost him twice as much-and he would have to go drive by wire. 99% of rock crawling enthusiasts do not want drive by wire. I see no reason in modifying or purchasing a new harness when the harness he has will work. Just needs a knock harness and a map harness.

Bill

Standalone LS Swap Harnesses IN STOCK!
LSX, LTX Stand alone swap harnesses. S10 LSX conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses, 24x conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses. LT1 to LSX PLUG AND PLAY Harnesses.
sales@bp-automotive.com
www.bp-automotive.com
1-888-467-4491

Quick Reply: Need Help on 4.8 to 6.2 Swap