Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1972 LQ4 Turbo Nova

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 02:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

RyanLeiker,
What kind of clearance do you have between the intercooler fins and the AC condenser fins? Are you going to add some flat stock to the hood latch/grill support notch ?
Old 01-12-2014, 01:13 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
RyanLeiker,
What kind of clearance do you have between the intercooler fins and the AC condenser fins? Are you going to add some flat stock to the hood latch/grill support notch ?
I'd say I have about 1/4-1/2" between the cores.
Right now I've disregarded the whole vertical support on the latch assembly and removed it. The latch assembly still bolts to the core support and the top of the grill with 2 bolts so its pretty sturdy for now, I just hesitate to slam the hood shut.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:07 PM
TECH Resident

Here's a couple teaser shots of how the hot side tubing is coming along.

Originally the lower radiator hose routing wasn't an issue, but as the steel came together, it became less and less convenient. I've got some elbows and stainless tubing that should make for some clean routing.
Also, for those of you looking for a cheaper straight neck thermostat housing, I've got an answer for you, stay tuned for some pictures. Keywords: '99 Windstar outlet, '05+ thermostat sans-o-ring, permadry gasket... You do the math, and get it for yourself, then tell your friends and change the world.
Lastly, kinda, my hydroboost modification is almost done, just need to remake the rushrod and bolt it all back together.
Old 03-08-2014, 02:20 PM
TECH Resident

Dual Walbros going in today. Racetronix dual pump coupler on the Spectra Camaro tank assembly.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:38 AM
TECH Resident

A few updates.
Dual pump/sender assembly modified again and installed.

My own "weatherpack".
I got the battery box installed, along with the cables, kill switch, and fuel pump relay box.

A little trick I stole from someone else on here.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:30 AM
TECH Resident

Got the Strange U1650 yoke for the 4l80e.
Mounted and installed...

Also, don't buy a 4l80e crossmember for a 3rd Gen Nova... updates to follow... You can build one for $50...

Ebay transmission cooler

Brackets made to mount to the rear bumper and the fuel tank straps bolts.

Left

Right

Underneath

Digging into the wiring harness... This is not as hard as people think...
Old 04-13-2014, 10:37 AM
Staging Lane

When you welded your hot section piping to your manifolds, did welding to cast iron cause any problems? I have 74 Ventura with a LQ9 and was gonna turn the truck manifolds upside down, but wasnt sure I could MIG weld to the cast metal.

Thanks
Old 04-13-2014, 11:09 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 74ventura
When you welded your hot section piping to your manifolds, did welding to cast iron cause any problems? I have 74 Ventura with a LQ9 and was gonna turn the truck manifolds upside down, but wasnt sure I could MIG weld to the cast metal.

Thanks
Not sure if this helps, but we stick welded my whole system, as well as my buddies system.
Welding on these ls manifolds isn't as daunting as welding to normal cast iron, like an engine block.
If you can mig, which I can't, I'm sure you'll be fine.
Everybody is welding on these manifolds. Don't worry about it.
Get creative and do some research with how others are arranging their pipes and don't limit yourself to the original shape of the manifold.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:07 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks, that will be cheaper than having a custom shop do my plumbing, just need to source me a turbo now
Old 04-14-2014, 11:10 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks, that will be cheaper than having a custom shop do my plumbing, just need to source me a turbo now
How much power do you want?
What fuel do you want to run?
Are you going to run an intercooler?
Old 04-14-2014, 05:55 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ryanleiker
How much power do you want?
What fuel do you want to run?
Are you going to run an intercooler?
I would like around 500hp and will be using pump gas. I plan to run an itercooler as well. I think my fuel injectors will be the limiting factor as they are stock. I installed a "tanks inc" drop in fuel pump kit with a walbro 255lph pump, but I dont know the limitations of it.

I like how you pieced the plumbing together. Where did you get your tubing, turbo and intercooler?

My car is in the paint shop and hopefully I will have it back in a month. The Lq9 is installed and running with the 4l80 trans. and I put some f body manifolds on it with some temp. exhaust so i could move it around and get it painted. I would really like to get the turbo on before I get it on the street and start driving it often.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:39 PM
TECH Resident

I would like around 500hp and will be using pump gas. I plan to run an itercooler as well. I think my fuel injectors will be the limiting factor as they are stock. I installed a "tanks inc" drop in fuel pump kit with a walbro 255lph pump, but I dont know the limitations of it.

I like how you pieced the plumbing together. Where did you get your tubing, turbo and intercooler?

My car is in the paint shop and hopefully I will have it back in a month. The Lq9 is installed and running with the 4l80 trans. and I put some f body manifolds on it with some temp. exhaust so i could move it around and get it painted. I would really like to get the turbo on before I get it on the street and start driving it often.
Here's the tubing kits I bought... I got an ultimate builder kit of 2.25" and 3.5". I would probably buy just a Pro Builder kit in the 3.5" with a couple extra straight pieces next time as I didn't need even half of it for the down pipe.
http://www.mandrel-bends.com/catalog...ilder-kit-111/

Here's the kit for the turbo and intercooler I got. It's a good setup for lower power levels and has most of what you need. A bunch of people run these with good results. If you build the placement right, you can always upgrade later.
http://www.vsracing.net/catalog/prod...626e01dc45e3eb

You can probably get your injectors from vsracing as well. I'd say 60lbs would be sufficient for pump gas. You're in much better shape than me, as yours is already running.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:02 PM
TECH Resident

Just a few updates...
I'm changing my fuel system again...
Also playing with some wiring harness stuff...

Old 04-14-2014, 08:49 PM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

I can't believe I haven't seen this build page.

I've been eyeballing that ebay transmission cooler for a while now. Quality didn't look half bad from what I can tell. Do you have any pics from the rear of the car showing how much it sticks down below the bumper?

Also, I'd love some more info on the 4L80 crossmember you came up with. I hacked up the stock TH400 crosssmember and moved it back about 9" but its still not going to cut it for me. I haven't put the transmission in the car yet since I'm doing my cam/springs/oil pan this coming weekend and then dropping the engine and trans in together.

Also, what thickness and width is that IC core? It appears to be 3"? I was thinking of putting a 4" up front doing similar cutting to yours. I don't have an AC condenser so I don't see that as an issue.
The only problem with ebay Intercoolers is that most 3" cores have 3" piping and 4" cores have 2.75" piping. What the hell? I wanted a black one for the stealthier look. Looks like I might have to buy a polished one and paint it.

I was thinking of using this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/27-X11-75-X4-CORE-2-75-ALUMINUM-BAR-PLATE-BLACK-FRONT-MOUNT-TURBO-INTERCOOLER-/231204500417?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35d4dcb3c1&vxp=mtr

Last edited by JoeNova; 04-14-2014 at 09:11 PM.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:50 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JoeNova
I can't believe I haven't seen this build page.

I've been eyeballing that ebay transmission cooler for a while now. Quality didn't look half bad from what I can tell. Do you have any pics from the rear of the car showing how much it sticks down below the bumper?

Also, I'd love some more info on the 4L80 crossmember you came up with. I hacked up the stock TH400 crosssmember and moved it back about 9" but its still not going to cut it for me. I haven't put the transmission in the car yet since I'm doing my cam/springs/oil pan this coming weekend and then dropping the engine and trans in together.

Also, what thickness and width is that IC core? It appears to be 3"? I was thinking of putting a 4" up front doing similar cutting to yours. I don't have an AC condenser so I don't see that as an issue.
The only problem with ebay Intercoolers is that most 3" cores have 3" piping and 4" cores have 2.75" piping. What the hell? I wanted a black one for the stealthier look. Looks like I might have to buy a polished one and paint it.

I was thinking of using this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/27-X11-75-X4-CORE-2-75-ALUMINUM-BAR-PLATE-BLACK-FRONT-MOUNT-TURBO-INTERCOOLER-/231204500417?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35d4dcb3c1&vxp=mtr
I'll get some more pics of the trans cooler from the rear of the car. If you're worried about seeing it, you'll want to put it somewhere else, or mount it better than I did. It doesn't look nearly as bad as a sumped fuel tank with hoses and fittings hanging down, in my opinion. Though I hate the look of rear sumped tanks. The quality is decent, but they use sheet metal screws to hold their fans to the brackets and the brackets to the cooler. I wish they would have use longer ones, but just make sure they're tight. If I run into issues I'll change it later.

The transmission crossmember is still under development. I've made steps forward and then hit a wall about 3 times, but I've finally got a design I think will work.
It's a 3" core and 3" piping. It's from VS Racing but it looks like the same design as that eBay one. I think I remember it being about 3 1/4" thick at its widest point.
Just buy the size you want and paint it. I probably will paint mine black as well along with my core support.
If you're going to run e85, don't buy a bigger intercooler, you don't need it. And depending on your desired power level, a 4" won't really gain you that much over a 3", I don't think, but I'm absolutely not an expert.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:15 AM
Restricted User

I'm going with an S476 and need somewhere around 900whp to be competitive in x235. I figured the 4" would give me room to grow. I don't have the fuel system for E85 or I would go that route instead with no intercooler (they allow either intercooler or meth/water injection, not both).

Whats the total width from inlet to outlet? Not trying to pummel you with questions, I just don't want to end up with a big shiny paper weight. I'm curious to see how your crossmember turns out. My modified stocker isn't going to work like I had planned.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:20 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JoeNova
I'm going with an S476 and need somewhere around 900whp to be competitive in x235. I figured the 4" would give me room to grow. I don't have the fuel system for E85 or I would go that route instead with no intercooler (they allow either intercooler or meth/water injection, not both).

Whats the total width from inlet to outlet? Not trying to pummel you with questions, I just don't want to end up with a big shiny paper weight. I'm curious to see how your crossmember turns out. My modified stocker isn't going to work like I had planned.
900 is pretty high for intercooled pump gas without meth. There'll be a lot of factors working against you. Not terribly impossible though. Just going to be expensive. Just a thought, it might be cheaper to upgrade your fuel system to handle e85 than to hit that hp number on pump, much safer for your motor as well.
I'll have to measure it tonight if I get a chance.
Here's the intercooler.
http://www.vsracing.net/catalog/prod...roducts_id=798
Old 04-15-2014, 11:30 AM
Staging Lane

Badass setup gotta love them novas it's gonna be nasty with thAt
Old 04-15-2014, 11:35 AM
Restricted User

Intercooler is for the street. Running water/meth and race gas at the track. I had extra piping, so I can disconnect the intercooler without removing it and its legal (removing it would put me below race weight anyway). E85 and meth is best case scenario right now and will probably be done next year.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:11 PM
Restricted User

Hey, when you put in your engine/trans, did you do them together or separate? Having a rough time getting the 4L80 tucked up in there far enough to let me slide the engine back enough to get the mounts lined up. Its being a real PITA.

Also, what did you do about the wiring/cooler fittings for the transmission? It looks like if I put the trans in now, I won't be able to reach ANY of this stuff, so its either get it ready to go FIRST, or cut holes in the transmission tunnel to access the stuff from the inside of the car.

I didn't realize the transmission was going to be so cramped.

Quick Reply: 1972 LQ4 Turbo Nova