Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project RIP IT- C-10

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 08:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Coming along nice. Been putting a lot of miles on mine and man it's a good driver. I took it to San Antonio on a 200+ mile road trip and it averaged 18.7 mpg. And I whipped up on a couple cars on the ride.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:52 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So how does that oil on sit with u having that drop on ur truck?
Old 02-17-2014, 02:11 PM
TECH Regular

roughly 1/2" below x-member.

I was hoping it would be higher. but it should be fine. I'm almost positive i could have used an F-body pan, there is a lot more room than i expected.

Unfortunately its back out and apart, found out i can't run the DOD lifters. So had to order LS7 lifters and pull heads back off to swap them.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:26 PM
TECH Regular

Old 02-17-2014, 10:40 PM
On The Tree

Glad I found this thread I am right in the middle of a swap my self on a 73. Quick question if you don't mind.we're you able to get transmission after all? Have you thought about what drive shaft would fit?
Old 02-22-2014, 12:26 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 98trans-am
Glad I found this thread I am right in the middle of a swap my self on a 73. Quick question if you don't mind.we're you able to get transmission after all? Have you thought about what drive shaft would fit?
This year i'm keeping the stock 350 turbo that was in truck. Couldn't find a 4l80, and couldn't afford to build one. So next year hopefully it will get an 80. As far as the D/S, i'll just get my current shaft shortened to fit.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:37 PM
TECH Regular

Haven't been keeping this updated much.

I found out that i couldn't keep my DOD lifters, so motor had to come back out and get pulled apart to swap in LS7 lifters/new trays. So that set me back a week. Needed to helicoil some bellhousing bolt holes while it was out also. So that all done.

Mark came by last week and gave a hand with my harness a lil bit. Its getting close. Samdog is coming by tomorrow so i can look at his harness and finish up mine by comparing. Need to pin injectors and O2s and grounds pretty much all i have left.

Ordered -8 AN line FP reg and some fittings, so i dropped tank. Modified the sender for a bigger return with an AN bulkhead. JB welded in a piece of tubing to get the return under fuel level. -6 that was supply line last yr is now converted to return. I still need to figure out a pump before lines are completed and tank can go back in. I'd really like to just put in a walbro for now, and maybe add an inline later when it goes turbo?

Ended up deciding to mount computer on firewall behind intake, so far looks like it will work great, i think will be a pretty clean install if i can fish majority of wiring under intake. and should be fairly inconspicuous.

I still need quite a few parts to get this going. More i go out in garage the bigger the list gets.... bah.

Old 03-01-2014, 01:05 AM
TECH Regular

Looking for any options that will fit in stock style sender and support 600+hp, found this. Curious what thoughts on it.

http://www.nolimitmotorsport.com/pro...00267-400-0085

Trying to simplify setup vs doing an inline, or 2 intank if its possible.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:36 PM
TECH Regular

Well, nothing so far is easy.

Motor went back in after lifter ordeal. Right back out a few days later after finding out my timing set was for an LS1 only with rear cam sensor, not the timing cover cam sensor=FAIL. Thats what i get for listening to local speed shop.

This week has been mail order fever, ordered my new JP performance timing set, badass in tank walbro pump (http://www.nolimitmotorsport.com/pro...00267-400-0085), fuel rails, 92mm Ebay TB, and a trip to Oreillys tomorrow should put me extremely close on being done with parts buying.

Since motor was out again, i tapped the turbo feed line hole, be plugged for now. And tapped a spot in W/P for crossover/vent tubes to go.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:15 PM
TECH Regular

Made some serious headway in last 2 days, feeling like end is in sight.

Motor is back in for cross your fingers last time. All underneath is buttoned up for first time (all bellhousing bolts, converter bolts, trans mount) Got all accessories installed, belt is on, radiator/fans installed, hoses (spent 30 mins staring at hose wall at Oreillys) worked on first shot, had to take my oil sender out of top and moved it to bottom where my turbo oil feed was going to go. it was to tight with intake/computer/fuel lines in that back corner. Still trying to figure out my fuel line/regulator setup. I think i have it, but gonna go buy more fittings tomorrow and mock it up to make sure. Had to hack the fins off the ECU to clear vacuum fittings on back of intake also. Seems to clear everything now.

Right now my biggest obstacle is my TB, of course the ebay TB bottom 2 bolts don't line up and IAC hole is a few thousandths to small. So trying to figure out what im gonna do about that. Local engine machine shop couldn't help me. Not sure i wanna wait a week to send it back to see if it was a defect or not, then buy another cheap one and be in same boat.

Alt/ fuel line is gonna be TIGHT

Janky TB fitment

And my proposed fuel setup
Ideal, but don't have room for regulator at front or back in middle like this

Last edited by static low 92; 03-18-2014 at 11:29 PM.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:32 AM
On The Tree

F-body pan fits great just to let you know. I have a 4.5/6 drop and the oil pan is above the cross member.
Old 03-15-2014, 07:00 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by softballnrd27
F-body pan fits great just to let you know. I have a 4.5/6 drop and the oil pan is above the cross member.
I know, after i got motor in, it was pretty obvious i had more room than i thought. Oh well. H3 is on there now.

Made some serious progress today. Got a tune loaded in my computer, finished wiring, finished assembly of injectors/rails/fuel lines. Got a final position on computer to clear everything. Harness is in and 90% i still need to shorten a couple sensor plugs more. all vacuum lines are on, intake is on, starter in

Short list to start:
Fix/install TB
Plugs/wires
PAssenger manifold
wire obd port
add oil
add coolant
install battery

maybe tomorrow
Old 03-19-2014, 09:57 PM
TECH Regular

Creeping along, spend majority of day in garage and still feel like im not getting very far.

I got some 4" tubing and elbows to make an intake, cut it down to rough length and drilled a hole and installed the iat sensor using a normal wire grommet. Seems to work. Gonna need one brace at filter end, but i still don't have my TB back from machinist...looks like Friday possibly now. Messed with driver side manifold for a few hrs. I have an envoy and a truck mani, thought truck would work but even after notching frame a hair it really had flange pushed into frame channel pretty far. So back to Envoy mani. It hit an ear on the trans, but put the pipe in a much better position, soooo hacked off the ear and got it installed.

Both manifolds are installed. Plugs/wires installed. Ran/soldered some essential wiring inside cab. Intake/ecu both reinstalled again. Spent way to much time making an OBD port mount plate, made use of where there used to be a fuel tank transfer switch to mount it.

I need to find which wire from ignition switch is hot in run and start positions and that i think will be the last termination i need to make for it to run.

Old 03-20-2014, 05:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 195 Likes on 162 Posts

Looking good Greg! I hope to rip apart the S10 in a few more weeks. Get V1.2 going on my truck,so we can hit the track. Looks like I am staying 5.3 for now with some upgrades.
Old 03-24-2014, 02:54 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by rpturbo
Looking good Greg! I hope to rip apart the S10 in a few more weeks. Get V1.2 going on my truck,so we can hit the track. Looks like I am staying 5.3 for now with some upgrades.
Thanks Rick.

I got my TB back from machine shop today, it all fit. Made a gasket from a sheet of material. Its all bolted on, and intake is installed.

Right now i have 2 issues.
1: starter/flywheel isn't meshing right and starter isn't disengaging. Been trying shims with no luck for improvement?

#2 is FP isn't coming on. I need to drop tank and see if i have power at plug and diagnose from there.

Old 03-26-2014, 02:47 AM
TECH Regular

Wow, what a long and trying day in garage.

My first order of business. Figure out FP issue. Dropped tank, found a bad ground connection. Got pump singing. Put sender back in, tested it before tank went back up...Could NOT get it to stop leaking fuel. After 2 trips to local speed shop i finally found pits in the -6 to -8 adapter on feed line. During this ordeal dropped a wrench on my phone a broke screen. But tank is back in, fuel pressure is set and no leaks.

Next on list, starter issue. So i thought i had used the 350 flexplate which after re-reading some threads on ls1tech was not correct. So i pulled the trans and flexplate off to realize i had the 5.3 plate on it. So i put it back on with 2 bolts, trans still disconnected and watched it while a buddy hit key. Final determination. I need FACTORY starter bolts. We used a pry bar to move it and cranked the bolts down, starts fine.

Motor didn't come with a starter/bolts. So used off the shelf bolts which aren't keeping it tight enough in correct location.

GOOD NEWS OF THE DAY, i did fire it and ran it for 30 seconds or so. Blew oil everywhere from who the hell knows.... Soaked the flexplate/converter and was slinging it, honestly can't tell where. I checked the usual suspects, factory oil sender location, new oil sender location, oil filter, none where the suspect. Not sure if there are any plugs in back of block that can leak but thats what it looked like to me. Gonna pull flexplate back off and look again tomorrow

IDK it was 2 am so i went in the house.

Old 03-29-2014, 12:45 AM
TECH Regular

Well after some b*tching and moaning i decided to pull the trans off and get this deal done.
So 5hrs later barbell is installed and we have a running 5.3 with solid oil pressure. WOOT!!

Tomorrows plans, try and find a shop to mate old exhaust to new ls flanges, install O2's and maybe clean up a lil wiring. Then tuning on sunday. I did drive it around the block, really didn't like throttle... so hopefully we can clean that up sunday.

This first picture is so validating.... and im soooo glad i get to clean my floor.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 195 Likes on 162 Posts

Glad you figured out it was the barbell. That was my first thought as I just read through this. Glad to hear you got it running. I keep spending, and spending (you know how that goes) and I hope to rip mine apart in 3-4 weeks, and it will probably be down 3-4 weeks. SHOULD be a totally different truck at that point. Give me a ring if you need anything I can help with.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:07 PM
TECH Regular

I'm really beginning to think the C10 has a rare blood type and just continues to reject heart transplants.

Previous owner smoked a 406, and sat for 2 yrs. I put the blower sbc in it, blew, sat for 7 months, now an ls motor trashed. Not sure what to do at this point. Bleeding money into a toy when your unemployed really isn't to responsible. But im gonna have to pay to store it somewhere because honestly love the truck and don't think i could give it up.

Old 05-02-2014, 08:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

That sucks reminds me of the day I put a 383 in my 1985 transam and 15 minutes into breakin rod shot through side of oil pan. Nothing like doing it twice. Did that have anything to do with the sleeves you took out of the rods? Good luck!! I have a 5.3 in my 1992 pickup and love it.

Quick Reply: Project RIP IT- C-10