Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

L92 Transplant

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 10:20 PM
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default L92 Transplant

I picked up a low mile L92 out of a 2007 Denali. I think it has the AFM or DOD setup (Is it possible to identify without pulling the intake?) but unsure what I need to do when putting it into my car. I wont be doing a cam swap, and I will be keeping the stock front accessories and intake. I know this engine also has VVT. Ideally I want to keep everything as it should be. I want to put it in and make it run.

I have read every thread imaginable on this, but wanted to make sure that I am not overlooking something.

If I get the stock harness reprogrammed, will I be able to use the DOD and VVT like normal? Any tips on this?

Also, since I will be switching to the holley Pan, I have heard that it isn't recommended to keep the stock high volume oil pump. Can someone chime in on why this is a bad idea and what my options might be?

Thanks
Old 11-11-2013, 10:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If its an 07 motor then it doesn't have DOD it only has the VVT. I ran my L92 with a GTO pan and the stock oil pump. I never had any issues with that combo.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:40 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by sierrac3_s2000
If its an 07 motor then it doesn't have DOD it only has the VVT. I ran my L92 with a GTO pan and the stock oil pump. I never had any issues with that combo.

Awesome. That is good to know!!!
Old 11-12-2013, 08:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

If you aren't changing anything else inside then sticking with the oil pump you have seems like the way to go. I swapped to a 'regular' pump but I also got rid of everything vvt/afm related. I'm not saying with certainty this is the correct answer, so if my logic is faulty maybe someone else will chime in.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by chuckd71
If you aren't changing anything else inside then sticking with the oil pump you have seems like the way to go. I swapped to a 'regular' pump but I also got rid of everything vvt/afm related. I'm not saying with certainty this is the correct answer, so if my logic is faulty maybe someone else will chime in.
I just want to make sure I can stick with the stock pump, even though I will switch to the Holley Ls pan...
Can anyone confirm this for me?
Old 11-12-2013, 01:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Are you planning to auto-x?
Old 11-12-2013, 02:33 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by chuckd71
Are you planning to auto-x?
Nope, not at all. This wont be run too hard, except for the occasional playing.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:45 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Pump works fine, F body pan here too. No AFM if its an L92 just VVT. You can keep it and it offers benefits especially on smaller cams but its probably easiest just to ditch it. Working with the E38 as a stand alone is a major PAIN! Id swap to a 24x reluctor and run old school LS management ( have to ditch VVT for this ) and run a proven cam from the 5th gen crowd
Old 11-12-2013, 05:17 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by cam
Pump works fine, F body pan here too. No AFM if its an L92 just VVT. You can keep it and it offers benefits especially on smaller cams but its probably easiest just to ditch it. Working with the E38 as a stand alone is a major PAIN! Id swap to a 24x reluctor and run old school LS management ( have to ditch VVT for this ) and run a proven cam from the 5th gen crowd
I plan on keeping the stock cam, as well as keeping the VVT and the 54x reluctor. Given the above, I'm still figuring out the harness situation and what wil be the best route for this.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:18 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

what trans are you planning on running?
Old 11-12-2013, 06:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by cam
what trans are you planning on running?
4l80e
Old 11-13-2013, 10:11 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Well as I said turning an e38 into a stand alone is no easy task. THe issue is the three ( four actually but anyways ) three computers that run the e38 equipped vehicles. You have the ECM, BCM, and TCM that all communicate through TOS and have a series of go/nogo signals that basically give the green light go in order for all systems to function as per norm. Once you remove the BCM and TCM and try and adapt a different transmission such as the 4L80e behind you run into gremlins that are not easy to overcome. So doable? Yes.

Worth doing? Not imo. If you run a compatible 6L trans + TCM you can piggy back a BCM in there and all systems will work as they should and you can tune it properly. Without doing such if you want to make your life a HELLA lot easier? Drop the crank and do the 24x conversion or buy the Lingenfelter 24x buffer box and run the old school PCM and it will run the engines and 4L80e perfectly well, without making your hair fall out fighting it every inch of the way.

Of course you lose VVT by doing so, but the stock cam is no screaming hell anyways. A nice static grind regular cam in there will wake the thing right up and if you tune it right you'll get even better mileage

Good luck
Old 11-13-2013, 10:14 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Heck even a stock LS3 cam or an LS9 cam if your on the super low budget will be a massive upgrade over the L92 cam performance wise. Cheap, stock tune available to flash in. Win win
Old 11-13-2013, 10:38 AM
Launching!

Thanks for the tips. What type of gremlins do you speak of? Surely there are other people who are running a 4L80E with an L92 that used to be backed by a 6L80E.
Being naive here, it seems like the easier solution (and hopefully more budget friendly) would be to try to get the 4L80E to play nice with the L92 brains, rather then breaking into the engine, swapping cams, disabling VVT, and swapping reluctors. I think I will be quite content with the stock power level of the L92, so rather than upgrade it out of the gate, my intention was to get it installed in stock form and get the bugs ironed out before I do anything to it. Again, no racing here, just a summertime cruiser.

Last, I would love to have the 6L80E (which is still available to me) but being that it was out of an 07' Denali with AWD and going into my RWD impala, I didn't even consider it because I thought it was so much bigger, and would be a pain to change to the correct tailshaft for the 2wd application.

Can you shed some more light on this for me?
Old 11-13-2013, 10:47 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

I already did, if what i said doesnt make sense? use the search feature and read up on whos done what, and how. Id have to type out ten pages of content to write a how to for what your trying to do and it will NEVER work factory good, there will be hacks in there and sacrifices to be made no matter what. So I did you one better and told you how to get it done the easiest, and most affordable.

You seem to either A. not want to believe this which your sure entitled to its just my opinion your welcome to build whatever you want, however you want its your time and money

or B. Dont understand what your getting into and not really liking hearing from others who wasted crazy amounts of time chasing gremlins trying to figure out the seemingly impossible while OTHERS mentioned avoiding these same problems I mention.... but some of us are stubborn to a fault and ignore good advice. Im merely one whos willing to admit I've done exactly that, and offer up some helpful experienced advice to ya so you dont go down the same road.

If you love work, and hate money. Go your way
Old 11-13-2013, 11:09 AM
Launching!

I appreciate you taking the time to respond, I really do.

You mentioned running a compatible 6l trans as a viable alternative. Is my concern of fitment not warranted?

For $500 can't I get a stand alone transmission harness from almost anywhere (TCI#377000) for a 4l80E and control it separately if indeed the gremlins are too difficult?
I have read a ton of info and see different opinions on this which is why I was looking for clarification.
Again, thanks.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:52 AM
Launching!

These guys don't seem to be having trouble...
Old 11-13-2013, 11:53 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The BCM is not required for standalone operation on an E38 system.

'08 and up Express vans used the E38 with a 4L80E this is a factory app there are no "gremlins". On E38 apps with a 4l80e they used the T42 trans controller.

That said I'd go with the 6Lxx trans since it's a much more common combo and you get two more gears.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:58 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 71403
The BCM is not required for standalone operation on an E38 system.

'08 and up Express vans used the E38 with a 4L80E this is a factory app there are no "gremlins". On E38 apps with a 4l80e they used the T42 trans controller.

That said I'd go with the 6Lxx trans since it's a much more common combo and you get two more gears.
Thanks. If I didn't have to cut the hell out of the floor pans, I would do the 6L in a heartbeat. In my case, I'll make the 4L work.

Thanks for chiming in!
Old 11-13-2013, 12:54 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

I wasnt aware of any factory application of the e38 and the 4L80. Only trying to give the guy advice to avoid issues with VSS and avoiding "safety mode" He still needs a TCM or an add on controller as mentioned when a 24x swap can get him into a one stop shop with a 411 PCM and a segment swap.

Quick Reply: L92 Transplant