Sponsored by:

G35 Coupe LS6 Swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 11:32 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G35 Coupe LS6 Swap

Hey guys,

First off, I want to say it's a pleasure to have joined this site. For the past few years I have been lurking the site to learn more about the LS engines.

So...the backgroud:
I have owned an Infiniti G35 Coupe since halfway thru college in '06, and the car has gone thru many stages.
About a year ago, I got an offer at work to be transferred to Brazil for 2 years, so I removed the Vortech supercharger/all of its direct supporting mods, and put the G in storage.

I'm now coming back (a little earlier than expected) and I want to finally go ahead and accomplish my dream of putting a proper powerplant under the hood! Looking forward to having reliable all motor power. I went thru a VQ engine within the first 1,000 miles of the Vortech since the tuner pushed it too much. The second one was sitting at 400/375tq before I removed it. So I was always too worried that it would blow again, to really enjoy it. The MPG and constant FI headaches also made it for an impractical DD, which is what I want to accomplish this time.

Before I get the typical "you want an LS buy a car that comes with it"; understand that I have had this car thru some tough times and it has always help me put my mind off things, and I don't want to just sell it and get a better/newer vehicle, although that would be the normal thing to do lol...well you guys know exactly what I'm talking about, you suffer from the same issue... ask your wives about the money you dump in your cars
Additionally, I want to accomplish the vision that I had for it since day one (well maybe like day 450something, when I learnt some more about it).

Well, as of a few days ago I finally found the right opportunity and bought an LS6 from a crashed '05 CTS-V.
The engine is in good condition, other than cosmetic damage from a small fire that lasted for about 45 seconds due to a crimped fuel line after a clutch upgrade, which damaged the outside of the intake manifold, and burned the spark plug lines.
The engine idles find though, so the damage was only cosmetic.

Anways, I wanted the help of the members that have the experience with the LS's that I lack, but will obtain over time.
I have done some extensive research but would also like to hear first hand from the ones that actually modded their LS6's.

Im currently trying to find a good deal on a regular T56 (gto or camaro), and contacting the best company that offer the swap kits.

In the meantime, I will be researching and purchasing all of the items that I need...

Clutch/Flywheel (not sure if I’ll go aftermarket or just find a good condition OEM that comes with the T56 that I find)
Fuel Rails (want to replace due to the fire)
102 Fast Intake (oem damaged on the outside).
PS pump (didn't come with it)
Injectors (worth it to changed? Not sure if I’ll get ls2 fuel rails with oem injectors, or go aftermarket)

& the misc that will take to complete the swap - custom exhaust (Swap Kit comes with long tube headers), wire harness mating, custom ac lines, dashes, gauges, etc

Spoke to vengeance racing about their stuff, and they tried to get me to use their fast 102, fuel rails, injectors, and VRX2 or 3 camshaft kits (vrx2, .660 dual valvespring kit with steel retainers, 7.400 hardened pushrods).... along with their 102 throtle body, as they offer a cable driven one.

Please let me know if you have any advice for that stuff. In advance, I wanna thank you if you decide to help me. I know that it's kinda annoying, but u can image how valuable your info is!

I'll already be spending close to 10K to do the swap, so anything that I can save will help. For example maybe I should do just the swap w.o cams/heads/intake manifold then once everything is in running order then start with the bolt ons.

Anything that you guys can think of to make me save some on unecessary things, that would be great. I know that the LS engines are very interchangeable so if you think of an used LSX item that would do well with what I'm doing instead of having to go aftermarket, I will def. look into it!

Goal is in the low 400s, then slowly go up to the 475 range.

Some pics of the G as it sits:

Name:  Diagonal.jpg
Views: 4580
Size:  122.5 KB

Name:  GsButt_zpsf69a91d7.jpg
Views: 2206
Size:  101.6 KB

Before the SC was removed:

Name:  IMG_6148_zps0dbe59f7.jpg
Views: 2598
Size:  92.4 KB

The new heart waiting at the shop

Name:  d6673a56-f871-4222-995e-05314b3e544b_zps064dd5de.jpg
Views: 2163
Size:  277.0 KB

Thanks!

Last edited by LS6G35.Swap; 11-30-2013 at 06:16 PM.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome (belated).. I don't think you have to sell your G35 and buy a originally equiped LSx car.. if you want you G35 with LSx power.. you got the fund or skills.. then do it !..

an LS6 is rated at 405 hp.. so.. your already there. If your going to do a HC .. do it now. .you might save some by buying used parts. just make sure they are in good condition, many Cam are up for sale in the for sale forum or just go online on the Net..

What Trans are you going to be using?. T56 ...? That would be the most fun once done !

Since you plan on a Fast intake. would just go with the Fast rail and what ever Injector you might want to go with. Stock would be like 28lbs...

Keep the build thread going.. !

BC
Old 11-14-2013, 02:30 PM
Teching In

yep, looking at a T-56. Are there best years for them or are they basically the same? Should I be looking at a certain model as the best donor car?

On the fast intake... I'm having a hard time finding the info to convince me to back the purchae of the fast intake... seems that the ls6 is very well designed and ls6 and fast intakes are comparable.

injectors, might keep it stock. Not planning on going FI a good condition set of oems might to the job. Suggestions on which ones?
Old 11-14-2013, 02:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 98-02 camaro/firebird had the same T-56. It's the MN-6. The GTO got the MN-12, which has shorter ratios. As I understand it, the two transmissions are interchangeable.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:14 PM
Teching In

Got some goodies on the way!

FAST 102 Intake Manifold prof. ported by Vengeance Racing, Nick Williams 102 Throttle Body, FAST Billet Fuel Rails, FAST 46lb Injectors, Gratinelli spark wires

Name:  null_zps19103cfe.jpg
Views: 1966
Size:  192.1 KB

Will be eswapping the cable driven for a 102 drive-by wire tb since I wanna run a vipec to be able to keep the traction control and other perks to keep it a full DD.

Misc things...
Corvette Covers

Name:  corvettecovers_zps1573cc74.png
Views: 1954
Size:  103.2 KB

C5 ZO6 Emblem... just in case the guy behind me wants to try to keep up :icon38:

Name:  zo6emblem_zps3bce8ca9.jpg
Views: 1963
Size:  20.5 KB

The other big ticket items will be coming in a few weeks - swap kit, t56/monster stage 2. Then keep gathering the parts needed... EMS, Radiator, etc

Last edited by LS6G35.Swap; 12-02-2013 at 08:40 PM.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:45 AM
FormerVendor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad to see that you figured out the Traction Control setup for the swap! Looking forward to seeing more of the build progress!
Old 12-02-2013, 08:14 PM
Teching In

what are you doing for your wiring? will your g35 pedal work with that nick williams TB?
Old 12-02-2013, 09:13 PM
Launching!

Have you checked out www.sikky.com ?
There are a few people on here that have done this swap that would prob love to point you in the right direction.

My advice would be get your stock heads ported on give Martin at tick performance a call on cam selection.Tick also sells upgraded t56 transmissions along with upgraded master cylinders and slave cylinders.

You are going the right directions with this.Keep us updated.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 98 Likes on 68 Posts

Fab your own mounts using $59 liquid iron industries mounts, use trailblazer ss manifolds to provide tons of frame and steering shaft clearance and current performance lsx harness. GTO front sump oilpan can be modified to work and save a boat load of $$$$ on the swap.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:50 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good looking car. I'd love to do an LS swap on one of these
Old 12-03-2013, 05:53 AM
Teching In

Hey Redlin3z - From all of my research the only way to keep the stock pedal, tach, traction, etc, is to use Vipec stand alone unit and a drive by wire TB. That however, adds several thousand $s to the build. Otherwise you can use a cable driven throttle body and a lotec cable straight to a modified 240 pedal. I want to do it right the first time around with the ammenities that the oem g35 comes with.

Aknovaman - Have you seen those mounts and manifold specifically used for a G35/350z swap? The engine bay is VERY cramped and I only know of 1 person who fab all of the parts himself instead of buying one of the market ones. It would be great to avoid the 3k price tag on the swap kits.

T Raven - Thanks. I'm def. looking forward to getting this done. Will take my time though, as this is an expensive undertaking, and I'll rather do this gradually. Waiting for my bosses to give me the green light on splitting my time 60% US, 40% Brazil every month ( 1 1/5 weeks in Brazil, the rest of the month in my house in So. Fla), that way I have more free time with the family (family being the manifold, block, transmission, exhaust). Decision will be made in the next 1 - 2 weeks.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Take a look at the g35 sedan in my YouTube vids I built. There is plenty of room. Been there and done that. Owner bought sikky and after installing the kit twice, I should have just fabricated my own. Same deal as the is300 swap parts. Also take a look at my jag mounts I made for less than $75. It can be done for way less. That's also why I said use tbss manifolds instead of the headers.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:58 PM
Teching In

Def. something to look into to !

Not just engine mounts tho, but I would have to fab a transmission mount, and source out the right oil pan that would give me the clearance that I need.

Along with fabbing the ps lines, drive shaft, and other misc stuff

So you wouldn't use the headers becuase of the clearance issues? I wonder how many hp I would lose by staying with the manifolds tho.

Thanks
Old 12-03-2013, 05:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Transmission mount is simple flat metal with a few tabs welded on Nothing major. Used GTO oil pans are around $200 complete and TIG mods are not that bad. Ask around with some local car buddies for TIG welder experts especially the street rod guys as they like to show off their skills and like to get involved with younger kids building cars.
PS lines are lines are simple AN fittings. Drive shaft is easy too. You can use a Camaro aluminum driveshaft and just have it shortened/merged with the factory rear yoke section. Used they are about $100.

The manifolds fit better than factory clearances.

We lost very little power due to using manifolds. The TBSS ones flow very well.

Do it on the cheap and spend the big bux on stuff to make it safer and handle better.
Old 12-08-2013, 07:46 AM
Teching In

Hey guys so from my research I see that to really wake up the LS6 with the ported 102 Intake manifold and matching TB, you have to put a cam in there.
I want to stay as DD as possible. Should I really put a DD friendly cam in there such as lpe gt2-3 or the tr cheater v.3 cam?
Would I have to change anything else?

Would it be worth it?
The supporting mods at that point would be the ported 102, 102 tb, headers (most likely as I might get a great deal from a friend), custom exhaust (no restrictions) and intake.

I thought the ls6 heads and cam were already a big jump from the ls1. I guess not enough to beat the aftermarket options?
Old 12-08-2013, 08:36 AM
On The Tree

You don't seem to be after''all the power I can get'',so the ls6 heads will be fine just concentrate on the cam/springs as there are a small forest of bump sticks out there so select carefully.You should have no problem reaching your goal with the parts you have and a cam.
Old 12-08-2013, 07:31 PM
Teching In

For the LS6 guys - If you know of the go-to cam for DDs, please let me know so I can look into it.
I have tried for a while but most of the guys are doing cam/heads/springs and there are too many variables for me to be able to understand the right choice.

Parts update!

Just got a set of Granatelli spark wires and NGK Iridium TR55 IX

Old 12-10-2013, 08:48 PM
Teching In

Guys I need some quick help so I can make a decions on a package!

Looking at a T56 out of an '02 b4c z28 camaro

Has stage 2 rebuilt package, Spec 3 clutch, Adjustable master, New slave, and Bmr shifter

The kits also mention to get a GTO Tranny. Is the camaro one the same configuration? (For example the cts-v one has diff. diameter, the corvette one has items on the back instead of middle).

Are the gears on the GTO one much shorter than this one? Would it make a huge diff. in performance?

Thanks!!!
Old 12-11-2013, 05:41 PM
Teching In

Just bought the transmission mentioned above.

All it's needed to change is the shifter and cup

Build is starting to take momentum faster that I expected!

Old 12-22-2013, 02:45 PM
Teching In

Hey guys,

So i got to finally inspect the engine, and although most of it is in good condition, the fire damaged the coils to the point that I dont wanna risk it and want to replace all of them. I see that a lot of ppl replace them w truck coils. Is it also recommended in my situation? Would i still get to use the granatelli spark wires and tr55ix plugs?
Would I reuse the bracket or use a truck bracket?

Name:  null_zpsbcff7702.jpg
Views: 1961
Size:  275.7 KB

Will also have to replace all of these sensors, but I'm not too worried since the rest of the harness is in good condition, and most of these won't be used since the LS Wire Harness gets mated with the VQ Wire Harness.

Name:  null_zpsbfd4e201.jpg
Views: 1939
Size:  272.0 KB

Name:  null_zps71c67018.jpg
Views: 2057
Size:  281.1 KB

Last edited by LS6G35.Swap; 12-22-2013 at 03:07 PM.

Quick Reply: G35 Coupe LS6 Swap