Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls2 power steering pulley wont clear A-arm , 67 camaro

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 05:12 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default ls2 power steering pulley wont clear A-arm , 67 camaro

I have ls2 out of a 05 vette and am using all the assessories on the front of the motor for the 05 vette. When I installed the bracket and the power steering pump the pulley is right on the upper A-arm part where the bushing is. Heres a couple pictures so you know what I am talking about. I just wonder if anybody else has run across this problem in the first gen camaros. If I could get a smaller pulley for the steering pump it would solve the problem. If someone has already solved this problem with a smaller pull I would like to know what pulley they used. Any help would be appreciated.

Also it is so close there is no way to get a belt in there.It is about 1/16" clearence.

Last edited by homemade87; 11-18-2013 at 05:18 PM.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:16 PM
Launching!

Sorry, Forgot to add pictures
Attached Thumbnails ls2 power steering pulley wont clear A-arm , 67 camaro-ls-motor-001.jpg   ls2 power steering pulley wont clear A-arm , 67 camaro-ls-motor-002.jpg   ls2 power steering pulley wont clear A-arm , 67 camaro-ls-motor-004.jpg   ls2 power steering pulley wont clear A-arm , 67 camaro-ls-motor-005.jpg  
Old 11-20-2013, 07:52 AM
Launching!

Update, Just wanted to share some results I have experienced. I have removed the stock pulley and found it to be a .660 shaft size.The corvette p/s pump is different than truck and car, they are .750 . I seen where some have tried a couple of dorman pulley's. I tried the 300-301 ( 5.312 Diameter ) ,would not press enough on the shaft to line up. Also tried the 300-310( 5.437 Diameter) , it went on and was close and may work , but is was about 1-rib from going on far enough on the shaft to get a good allignment .

I have 2 more pulley's coming in a couple days and will see what happens. I will post my results with part #'s.

In the mean time if anyone has found a good sollution for this pulley I would like to here about it. I need one between 5.25 and 5.75 to get a good fit.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If worse comes to worse maybe you can change to a power stearing pump with a .750" shaft? There appears to be more of a selection on diameters and depth. By the way I had to do what you did with a smaller pulley. But I have a truck stearing pump and a 65 Skylark.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1989GTA
If worse comes to worse maybe you can change to a power stearing pump with a .750" shaft? There appears to be more of a selection on diameters and depth. By the way I had to do what you did with a smaller pulley. But I have a truck stearing pump and a 65 Skylark.
That may be and exellent suggestion. I wonder if any of the other pumps will fit my bracket and still beable to use my corvette reservoir. I have not researched this option yet. I had seen there is a lot of .750 shaft sizes out there.

I still am going to get the other pulleys tomorrow morning and try them. If they dont work I may start looking into another pump.

I will let you know if I come up with a solution.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:39 PM
Launching!

Update , Just wanted to share what I did today. The solution for the corvette pulley was a dorman 300-126. It had a .661 bore . It was a perfect fit I could not have asked for it to fit better. The allignment was dead on. This pulley is 1" smaller than the stock pulley and cleared the upper a-arm about 1/2" and the belt fit great. It also had windows for the 2 long bolts. The short bolt is a little tricky but all you had to do is install it first when the pump is installed. The short bolt is not in line with the window. All I did was reached in there with a piece of rubber hose and spun the head and it when wright on and the finished it of with a 10mm to tighten it. Worked great. All my acc were from a 05 corvette.

Quick Reply: ls2 power steering pulley wont clear A-arm , 67 camaro