Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS Marine Engine

Old 11-23-2013, 12:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default LS Marine Engine

I have two LS2 blocks just sitting around. I would like to repower my boat with these. Does anyone have any links to any Marine LS engines? just looking for some information at this point.

Thanks

Mods: I wasn't sure where to put this so feel free to move is necessary
Old 11-23-2013, 07:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Simplest answer is crusaders 6.0 iron block.
http://www.crusaderengines.com/Products/6_0.html
Raylar marine used to offer an aluminum block, but might have been discontinued.
Then there's the LSA powered outboard.
http://www.seven-marine.com/
Old 11-23-2013, 02:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Indmar has a couple variations

http://www.indmar.com/Engine/indmar/6.0ll96.aspx

http://www.indmar.com/Engine/indmar/6.2lls3.aspx

http://www.indmar.com/Engine/indmar/...hargedlsa.aspx
Old 11-24-2013, 10:16 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Have you ever built a marine engine before and do you know of all the special equipment that has to be on it? (Backfire flame arrestors, special alternator, special starter, etc?) Or are you looking for that kind of information?
Old 11-24-2013, 04:58 PM
TECH Resident

i know malibu made one with an LS3 in it
Old 11-24-2013, 08:27 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try posting in the LS engine section. Like genlll or genlV. This is the forum for the genV (new LT engine).

Should help
Old 01-16-2014, 01:03 AM
Staging Lane

MarinePower and Kodiak both put together a nice motor package thats found in most of the jet boats up here and in the northwest.

http://www.marinepowerusa.com/
http://www.kemequipment.com/kodiakmarine.html

Also, you can look around at some sites like michiganmotorz.com. They sell marine engine parts.

Link in my sig for my conversion into my boat. Its not done yet, still have an assembly to do, but I have all the parts I need except a few jet pieces and impellers...

also, pm'd ya
Old 02-05-2014, 09:58 AM
Teching In

Default Just completed an LS3 marine conversion

3rdcoast,

I have just finished repowering my boat with an LS. All the parts are available "off the shelf". Mine is carb'ed but, fuel injection would be just as easy, if not easier. If you'd like, PM me and I'll give you my contact info.

Bob S
Old 02-05-2014, 01:33 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by Bob S
3rdcoast,

I have just finished repowering my boat with an LS. All the parts are available "off the shelf". Mine is carb'ed but, fuel injection would be just as easy, if not easier. If you'd like, PM me and I'll give you my contact info.

Bob S
Can you post a list of the parts here? I assume ignition protected starters and alternators are easy to find? Did you just put in one engine? (I wonder what's involved to reverse the rotation on one for a dual engine set-up?)
Old 02-05-2014, 04:56 PM
Teching In

wssix,

A parts lists would take too much time. A good place to start for a home builder can be found right here in the forum,
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...-ls-motor.html

Most marine drives are built for older style BB & SB gm, ford or mopar engines. Speaking specifically of the gm type the biggest hurdle you'll face is adapting the drive to the metric style crank of the ls's. A simple fix can be had in a locally built (your favorite machine shop) .400" spacer and re-drilled splined shaft flange from your drive to connect the crank to your drive. This is what I did. Fly wheels with this spacing incorporated are now available from Jeg's or others like them. As are simple motor mounts to convert back to the old 3 bolt gm pattern.

MSD's 6012 ignition will drive the coils on a 58 reluctor crank if you want to run a carb. GM offers an ecm setup for efi but you'll then have to figure out how to operate the "fly by wire" throttle. That's not what I did so, I don't know what it will require.

Because mine was an older boat with an analog helm I had to find sending units (oil psi & water temp) to match. I'm also running egt & afr indications just to be safe because I'm not running a knock sensor. Cam profile makes the egt just about useless though.

Marine starters, alts, spark arrestors are easy. Jegs, marine engine depot, wholesale marine, amazon...everybody's got'em. Ain't cheap though.

Regards,
Bob S

Last edited by Bob S; 02-05-2014 at 05:03 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 02-05-2014, 05:38 PM
Save the manuals!

^^^ Excellent info. Thanks.

A parts lists would take too much time.
I think this is what the OP is looking for. (Along with guidance on setting the engines up to counter-rotate.) It would be great if someone who has completed this type of project could post a how-to on the site.

Marine starters, alts, spark arrestors are easy. Jegs, marine engine depot, wholesale marine, amazon...everybody's got'em. Ain't cheap though.
They are expensive, but very important on a boat! (A lot of folks choose, unwisely, to skip these parts.)
Old 02-05-2014, 06:09 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Towards the end is great.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

counter rotating engines aren't really needed very often anymore.
All mercruiser out drives are available in a CR prop for a standard rotation engine. Velvet drive also makes transmissions that can turn the prop either way with a standard rotation engine.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I looked into this for a while but could never find a set of bolt on LS headers. anyone know who makes a set?
Old 02-06-2014, 07:22 AM
TECH Junkie

If you just want a water cooled exhaust, the manifolds are available off the shelf from crusader.
If you want water cooled tube style headers, try Raylar Marine.

Originally Posted by cjmatt
I looked into this for a while but could never find a set of bolt on LS headers. anyone know who makes a set?
Old 02-06-2014, 09:21 AM
Teching In

Default ls marine manifolds

Indmar makes a very nice set of cast aluminum performance manifolds. These are the ones I'm using because of their low profile. They come on Indmar's LSA offering. Part #'s 531293 & 531292 port and starboard. They've also got tubed headers with & without cats. All are water cooled, equal length tubes and ambidextrious so, they'll fit v-drives as well as stern drives or inboards. Talk to Brad @ Indmar 800-255-9265 Again...not cheap!

Counter rotation is handled with the drive systems.

My first attempt at repowering with an ls was with a used L76 I got from a dealership as a warranty exchange. They thought the cam bearings had failed. Paid $300. Deleted the vvt, afm, dod and changed the cam. By the time I got it running in the boat I was 16K plus into the project. What I didn't do was pull the bottom end on the L76 to check it out. It was the #1 & 3 rod bearings. My bad. That annoying squeak was not tensioner or idler pulleys or even the $500 marine alternator...all of which I swapped out.

The learning curve is steep for slow people...:-(

Bob S
Old 02-06-2014, 10:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Counter rotation is complicated on these engines because the oil pump is driven directly off the crank. It would require a custom oil pump or dry sump with external pump. Easier, cheaper to use a full reverse capability trans.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks Guys,
that video is exactly what i want to do.
I understand the special alternator/ starters ect... but will i need special coil packs? special tinned wiring harness? or will i be ok with the regular MSD coil packs and copper wires?
Any idea as to what drives i should be trying to mate these LS's to? currently has 427 FE's mounted to Paragon transmissions. I really dont plan on doing a dy sump so i will need to figure out how to get the prop on the port side to counter rotate.

I realize this is in the wrong section... Mods can please move to correct section.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:46 PM
Save the manuals!

If we get more threads on marine applications, we can create a special section.

My understanding is that with the prevalence of fuel injected engines, the common technique for counter-rotating props is to do it in the gear cases. (Letting the cranks spin as they do off the shelf.)
Old 08-07-2014, 03:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 148 Likes on 96 Posts

there are a few boat LS conversions in the Engine Conversions section.

I put an '05 5.3 EFI truck motor into a '97 ski centurion. Used Marine Power exhaust manifolds, alt, starter, Indmar fresh water pickup pump.
3 years running without issues. Its for sale

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LS Marine Engine