Sponsored by:

5.3 LS motor with 4L80E

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 10:13 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3 LS motor with 4L80E

LS1Tech brethren,

I am planning on installing a 5.3 LS motor with a 4L80E transmission and a better rear end in my 1986 Chevy Monte Carlo. What kind of controller will I need to control all of this? Will I need a PCM and ECM? Will it need to be customized to work in my car? I am very new, so please dumb down as needed for me. What else may I expect to encounter? I plan on installing a Ford 8.8 inch rear out of a Lincoln Mark VII. I found Sloppy Mechanics on Youtube and they showed how simple it is to install an 8.8 inch rear in a G-body car, so I will go that route with the rear end. I just need to know the electrical and powertrain issues/solutions that others who have performed these types of installs encountered.

Thank you.

Hottoddy
Old 11-26-2013, 08:06 PM
TECH Regular

First info needed is year of 5.3 and 4l80e.

Stock computer (ECU) and harness will control both engine and trans if they are gen3. LS3 computers apparently need a TCU (trans control unit). If you didn't get the wiring harness with the engine there are many places that sell brand new harnesses and computers.

I've read that an 8.8 thrown into a Monte puts the instant center in a terrible spot way far from the car. I think it makes handling corners at high speed sketchy at best.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:15 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the information! I am trying to avoid spending $1500-2000 on a rear end and the 8.5 Grand National rear end is like trying to find hen's teeth. I read somewhere else that the pinion angle would be very far off if I use the 8.8, so I may just go with a Strange aftermarket rear end or keep looking for a 8.5 inch 10 bolt rear.

Have a good Thanksgiving.

Hottoddy
Old 11-27-2013, 07:52 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes you can do it with the stock pcm. Speartech makes a plug and play or you can do it yourself. I just wired mine up yesterday (4.8l/4l60e harness) literally you switch 1 wire, delete a wire and add another vss. Search on performance trucks (at theyop of ls1tech) type in 4l60e to 4l80e swap wiring. There is a full walk through on it. After you are done you will have to update the pcm trans section using a 4l80e trucks data. Assuming you are using a truck pcm also. Im gonna try this route and if i find the pcm isnt doing a good job either manual valve body (which you can also do for free by switching wires on the trans) or just get a TCI controller.

Jay
Old 11-29-2013, 11:04 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Wire it, and do the Segment Swap in the Tune.

Quick Reply: 5.3 LS motor with 4L80E