Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another LS swapped IS300 by dedicated-matt this time with boost and drag prep

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 03:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another LS swapped IS300 by dedicated-matt this time with boost and drag prep

Here we go again friends. I may have been the first to swap an Is300 with an Ls based engine but I wont be the last. I've decided to purchase another Is300 with plans of turning it into a drag racing toy. During this build I'll be testing a number of swap parts that I hope can help out a fellow swapper when the time comes.

I was lucky enough to find a 2002 Graphite Grey Is with low miles, no sunroof and black cloth. Personally I've never seen one in person but I love the weight savings and just general cleanliness of the hardtop. My plans for this build is to make a light weight drag car showcasing my fabrication talent while spreading the word of the potential these cars have.

As the build currently goes I've purchased the following:

Aluminum 5.3L LC9 long block
HTZ4299 72mm Turbo from Forced Performance
TR6060 Transmission from a CTS-V
RPS Triple carbon clutch

What is to come:

Motec M150
Lots of custom turbo parts
All the dedicated swap parts
Full engine tear down and build
This list will get longer as we go

This is really the only pic of the car I have. Just test fitting some supra wheels to get and idea of how big of a slick I can fit back there.

Received my new turbo. We use the FP turbos on most of our GTR builds at T1. I chose a 1.44 hot side

As always I stay incredibly busy building Is300 swap mounts. Here's some welds for ya

Old 11-30-2013, 08:58 PM
On The Tree

Subscribed.

PS: I take it this is the car you needed that fitting for?
Old 12-01-2013, 07:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 98 Likes on 68 Posts

$750 for a flat plate for a trans mount and a few pretty stainless welded mounts. Gimme a break. Nice car but way more than a bit greedy IMO. I can have those water jet cut for less than $75. You guys end to go back to basic business classes. Think there would be any lsx s10 out there with those kind of prices for swap parts? You will really discourage people with those prices. Same as sikky and the billet 240sx swap kit.

Last edited by aknovaman; 12-01-2013 at 07:25 AM.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:45 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by eng1nerd
Subscribed.

PS: I take it this is the car you needed that fitting for?

Well not exactly I'll be running a -8 fuel line on this car. I needed the fitting for a friends lexus I'm building. Thank you very much for grabbing that thing for me. I've been meaning to email you.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:57 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by aknovaman
$750 for a flat plate I can have those water jet cut for less than $75. You guys end to go back to basic business classes.
Basic business classes? How about the part where I've spent countless hours making sure these parts fit properly engine placement is spot on since we're dealing with .25 inch clearances. Cad design prototypes and all associated costs. My time to weld and assemble these parts. Do you like to work for free?The motor mount isolators themselves are a large part of the price.

Before you come in here telling me I'm discouraging I suggest you look at this from a business prospective. What drives me to continue to make additional parts, parts that make this swap an easy weekend job for your average consumer? Wasting my time so someone doesn't value my product? No, go check ebay for IS300 Ls1 mounts you'll find a copy cat selling them for $950 go buzz his ear. Why not support the guy who brought this swap to fruition? The originator?

Matt
Old 12-01-2013, 01:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 98 Likes on 68 Posts

Not trying to insult and my apologies if you feel I did. Rock on !

Gonna mount the turbo on driver or passenger side?

Tried any manifolds like the TBSS, GTO, C5 or C6 vette ? The TBSS fits a G35 and350z perfectly with steering and frame clearance. Could not bring myself to pay $1100 for a set for my buddies G35 sedan.
Old 12-01-2013, 02:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ATSMATT
Well not exactly I'll be running a -8 fuel line on this car. I needed the fitting for a friends lexus I'm building. Thank you very much for grabbing that thing for me. I've been meaning to email you.
No worries, I figured no news was good news. Glad that worked for you. It was the only way I could get mine hooked up and it worked great for me.
Old 12-01-2013, 02:18 PM
On The Tree

I take my parts seriously as it take a good amount of time and resources to bring these to the market.

I'm planning to fabricate the turbo kit with the idea of positioning the turbo on the passenger side. During the planning process I'm looking at things such as weight distribution, air flow and heat management.

I know someone has made a set of truck manifolds work with this swap with some modifications. The steering rack and steering shaft are just in a terrible location and with performance in mind I decided to make a set of headers. They clear everything and have 3 inch v-band collectors.

Old 12-01-2013, 03:31 PM
On The Tree

Thanks Zach if there's anything you ever need let me know.

Matt
Old 12-01-2013, 03:36 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn, subd for results
Old 12-07-2013, 04:36 PM
On The Tree

Time for an update. My parts pile is growing tall and "to buy parts list" continues to grow in length. I was suppose to be fitting the rear tires and suspension this weekend but due to weather my parts were delayed. Currently the roads in Dallas are solid ice thus giving me the day off. Instead of staying in my warm home I decided to take the 50 mile one way trip to the shop any way. The next 12 hours would be spent removing the ABS system, tucking the chassis harness and eliminating any unused circuits. It doesn't get much cleaner folks.

I left my camera at home so the cell phone pics will have to do for now. I promise better pics to come!

Lexus mad a poor choice when deciding the ABS pump location. Since this car will be on the track most of its life I decided to delete this completely.

Diving in now you can see it can get overwhelming quick. By now I know most of the circuits and associated wire colors by heart. This will be my 4th wire tuck on this chassis.

Its amazing how much I removed from the body harness. It literally cut the dimensions in half. As you can see I have some old ugly enkei wheels to roll on lol. Drag wheels should be here this coming week. The cutting will commence soon!

As the engine bay sits for now. Hopefully some parts start to show up soon. I'm ready to get serious with this build.

Matt
Old 12-07-2013, 07:14 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by aknovaman
$750 for a flat plate for a trans mount and a few pretty stainless welded mounts. Gimme a break. Nice car but way more than a bit greedy IMO. I can have those water jet cut for less than $75. You guys end to go back to basic business classes. Think there would be any lsx s10 out there with those kind of prices for swap parts? You will really discourage people with those prices. Same as sikky and the billet 240sx swap kit.
Do you always have to come in and crap on people's hard work because that is 90% of what I see you do. I drew up and designed the parts for my swap and had them built in my machine shop. I had at least 40 hours in the engine mounts so they would be perfect and I had no intention of selling them. Greed doesn't make you money demand for your product does. Quit bitching about the price people are asking for their parts you know full we'll you have zero intention of buying them.

I love these IS builds. If I wasn't a supra nut I would own one.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:55 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MightyAl
. I love these IS builds. If I wasn't a supra nut I would own one.
I'm a supra lover myself in fact I've owned 9 different MKiV's a couple autos and six speeds.

I only took this car to the track once but I managed a 9.8 at 143 mph on a 71mm turbo

Old 12-15-2013, 01:55 PM
On The Tree

Anyone who has owned a Lexus Is300 knows the tiny *** of these cars is not meant for a large tire/wheel combo. Everyone said I was nuts for ordering a 28 tall tire. Armed with a grinder and some hammers I felt confidant I could make it work.

Some test fitting to start my day. 15x10 with a 275/60...challenge accepted. I started by airing these meats up to 40 psi just to help visualize tire growth.

After a some serious rolling and a little cutting of the outer inner fender they fit. I didn't stop here tho. I know this car should squat hard and deflect the tire a bit. So the cutting continues...

Squatin hard still with good clearance in the key spots for tire growth. Obviously the bumper will require some trimming.

After rolling the **** out of these fenders I noticed they would stretch more in some places and pull in other spots. So I decided to just cut off nearly an inch of the fender lip. This is how it sits. I wont be using this rear bumper but I did some practice cuts to see what it might take.

To give you and idea of how much material I removed.
Old 12-15-2013, 02:06 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That big *** tire stuffed in the back of that little car looks badass. Like how it looks stock after you cut that much stuff out of it.
Old 12-15-2013, 02:24 PM
On The Tree

Thanks! I'm sure the cutting isn't over with. I still need to fab up my rear suspension components. This will also pull the rear tire in about a 1/4 inch

Last edited by ATSMATT; 12-15-2013 at 02:30 PM.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:39 PM
Staging Lane

sub'd

This is awesome!
Old 12-16-2013, 01:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm in too!
Old 12-16-2013, 07:02 PM
Teching In

do these cars have IRS? are that at strong or do you have to swap in different parts?
Old 12-16-2013, 08:15 PM
On The Tree

The stock Irs can take around 800hp and some drag racing. Depending on time I plan to fabricate a custom 9 inch IRS unit. I've already purchased the universal unit from DSS. Should be here in a few weeks

Matt

Quick Reply: Another LS swapped IS300 by dedicated-matt this time with boost and drag prep