Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LSx in 91 Fox body vert questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 10:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default LSx in 91 Fox body vert questions

Thinking about doing an Fox body vert conversion. I've read quite a few threads but most of them seem to be race car and turbo setups. Just had a few questions as I'm researching the swap and looking for possible start. I would be doing an LS base motor with an T56. Really just want a fun car that is dependable and gets good MPG's.

- What is the best setup assuming using AJE k member and swap headers? F-body, Truck, C5, GTO??? Worried about oil pan and accessories.

- Anyone get AC working on one of these swaps? I've seen some with pressure reducers with power steering but haven't seen one with AC.

- Emissions, if I just run some cats I'm asssuming this setup will pass a sniffer no problem? Whats been the experience in your state?
Old 12-10-2013, 06:52 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get a ls1 & t56 out of a 01-02 f-body that will have all of the accessories and oil pan you need to fit with an aje k-member. Kooks and dynatech both make swap headers. A/c is possible with custom a/c hoses
Old 12-10-2013, 08:49 AM
TECH Junkie

I have a 99 LS1 with an LS6 intake and 01 computer and t56 harness. Still need to find a T56. Bummer that the truck setup doesn't fit though..although the LS1 would keep in the "light car theme."

I think I'm going to buy one put a set of full length SFC's and 4 point brace up front with some good shocks and springs. See if that firms up the chassis as its kind of pointless to do the swap if I end up with a "wet noodle" Vert.

Good to hear there is room for the F-body AC, not that I'll need it too often but I'm from Alaska and will melt if it gets above high 80's.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:02 AM
TECH Regular

You will not be disappointed with the swap. I swapped a 5.3 into my 02 Mustang and drive it every chance I get. Very dependable,fast,fun,and love the look I get from the Mustang crowd. I went with Steeda FLSFC, Eibach springs,and Koni yellows and Roush lower rear control arms on my car and it handles awesome. Also, I used the truck set up with a Camaro pan and it fits under my stock hood. There are pics on here of the mounts I made to make it work.

Edit: forgot to mention that with cats mine passes PA emissions tests no problem.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:06 AM
TECH Junkie

The accessories are the big deal, on the intake, I think there is a bracket adapter to get the car intake on a truck motor. But really if I could get a nice truck 5.3 with a LS1 intake and pan it would be a pretty inexpensive setup. I could sell the LS1 I have to get a T56 and the harness modified.

Do you have a build page? would love to do a new edge swap but with the gauges and ODBII getting through emissions with a GM computer in a Ford seems iffy.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:43 AM
TECH Regular

No build page on my car, there are a couple on here. Gauges are easy there are all kinds of aftermarket ones available. The OBDII is a piece of cake especially if you are going with an aftermarket harness. I did everything on my car myself including the harness. Don't talk yourself out of doing the swap because of the wiring, there is a website(www.lt1swap.com) that has all wiring info you could want. I built my harness with info just from that site alone.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Not too worried about the wiring but the emissions thing has me worried. T Hey just plug it in but I've heard if VINs don't match on the computer it can cause problems and in this case it would show a Camaro not a mustang..

I could pick up a decent New edge for a just a bit more than the Fox body so that would be a great way to go. Brakes, wheels choices are easier and the interior is nicer. Wish I liked the early SN95's more those are pretty cheap starting platforms.
Old 12-10-2013, 12:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Best thing you can do, in all honesty, is go to an inspection station, tell them what you want to do, and see what they say.. Or talk to some of the local guys who have hot rods and see where they take their stuff to.

Here in Arkansas there are no emissions tests or even annual inspections. But the state troopers can pull you over for just about anything and conduct a roadside general safety function inspection. Lights horn wipers, etc etc. But I have yet to see a state trooper under a car up on jack stands looking for catalytic converters.
Old 12-10-2013, 12:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Yeah I tried that and they will give no info at the station. To be fair they don't really know they just look at the guidelines and the computer tells them pass or fail. Maybe I'll try someone at the DMV...in theory they work for us right?
Old 12-10-2013, 01:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

DMV Should, but I wouldn't go holding my breath. Probably get some 45 year old single mom with absolutely no idea what you are referring to when you use the term "ENGINE SWAP". Her eyes will glaze over and you will lose a head when she flips out because she thinks you are trying to make her look stupid or something. Worst case scenario though, LOL..
Old 12-10-2013, 02:47 PM
TECH Regular

Here in PA we have inspection and emissions and mine passes both with no problems. In fact the first time I had the emissions test done the shop was confused why the VIN# kept coming up with a Chevy truck VIN until they popped the hood! I just had the emissions test done again 2 weeks ago and passed with no issues. The owner told me as long as the machine says "pass" he passes it. I would call some local shops to see what the state emissions regulations are. The DMV (at least here) is useless.
Old 12-10-2013, 03:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Problem with Oregon is the testing locations are state run facilities. But I have one down the street that isn't very busy I'll stop by and ask them what they think.
Old 12-10-2013, 03:58 PM
9 Second Club

The swap I said is the optimum swap for a fox body. As far as emissions go here in Texas if its a newer engine in an older vehicle that isn't a problem. If a vehicle is 25 years or older it only gets a safety inspection. Next year that will be 1989. And if it is an obd1 car it would get a sniffer test if its younger than 25yo. If it's an obd2 car then it would get plugged in. No foxbody is a obd2 car. So it would be treated like an obd1 car if it is 1989 or newer

Quick Reply: LSx in 91 Fox body vert questions