Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 Kia Sorento - 6.0L Ly6 Vortec

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 01:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BadRabbit
Custom gauges most likely. I would like to user Kia for the OEM look but doubt it. maybe best alternative would just be a cheap android tablet with an app on it running a logger program.

Kia has 3.333 ratio. That puts the RPM at 1,910 rpm at 70mph. Wish i could guesstimate fuel mileage. It will weigh a few hundred over 4,000#
Call up Current Performance. They have been know to do swaps on alot of stuff, they might be able to get the stock gauges to work
Old 12-23-2013, 01:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd imagine the Kia gauges are all BCM controlled, so it won't be easy to make them work.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:28 PM
On The Tree

Just an update... Got most of my accessories from a local yard... They have an Lq4 in stock in a vehicle!! Alternator, PS Pump, Bracket, MAS and intake assy (hoping MAS is same, if not not biggie - just wanted to grab before it was gone), AIT sensor, Idler pulley assy... 100$ WooT!

Got the brackets painted and the valve covers too... whats the point of putting corroded parts in?

My engine mounts would have been here YESTERDAY but my mail man is to lazy to walk up (or drive up) my driveway. I ordered 2006 6.0L Vette engine mounts... I'm really thinking BOLT IN there! They are almost identical to the Kia 3.8L parts except the Kia's is longer (narrower bottom end).

Wiring harness work now. Finding out whats gonna work and what wont for example (just a few)

Fuel relay needs piggy backed because Kia ECU is NPN on relay and the GM is PNP

Fuel pump WILL work i think!! The Kia is a HIGH PSI unit just like the GM is. Not sure about volume HOWEVER, the Kia can support 6 cyl all the way to 7500 rpm! If the Ly6 maxes out at 1,000 rpm less thats a big fuel flow difference. Need to look into the CC of both and do some math BUT its not tough stuff.

The Kia is drive by wire also, however, it uses a totally different voltage then the GM. APPS 1 is .7-.8 @ C.T. and 3.8-4.4 @ WOT
APPS 2 is .28-.48 @ C.T. and 1.75-2.35 @ WOT

talk about odd... however, i guess it would ensure that in no way has one circuit been shorted or tampered with? I could make a conversion circuit with a logic brick but seems easier to get a pedal from another car!

The Ly6 has 2 pumps also... Not sure if its a feed pump and then high pressure pump or what? I would assume that i would only need 1 if mine can deliver the required fuel though.... Otherwise, perhaps I could stick an aftermarket pump in-line with factory or yank factory all together...
Old 01-26-2014, 10:47 PM
On The Tree

Sorry I havent posted in a while guys... Was waiting for parts to show up! Had to order a shorter oil pan. Then i got screwed out of my wiring harness and pcm. Which REALLY sucks! The yard I got the engine at told me they couldnt find the PCM or harness... Pretty peeved about that! It set me back. Oh and its been like -coldasballs outside. Poor excuse but it took a while for my paint to setup n dry. After getting honed out by the junk yard I looked around. For the price of the tune, harness, and PCM I found a guy that can make me a turn key harness. I may do that!! Will keep you updated on that one.
Here are some pics.

Old 01-26-2014, 11:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Message Joe Lopez on Facebook. Ls performance wiring is his company also on Facebook. If anyone can get stock gauges to work its him
Old 01-26-2014, 11:40 PM
Teching In

I'm excited to see how this turns out...

I'm particularly interested in the motor mount situation and the transmission clearance...

does it look like the transfer case (once you have it in) might line up with the front diff assembly?

a body lift and knobby tires wouldn't be a huge loss if it came to that would it?
I think it'd actually be pretty awesome.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

So much for Kia's 10 year or 100K power train warranty. 100K isn't that hard nowadays.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In for the unique build.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:08 AM
Staging Lane

way to go! LS saves another one!
Old 01-27-2014, 07:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by prostreet1967
Message Joe Lopez on Facebook. Ls performance wiring is his company also on Facebook. If anyone can get stock gauges to work its him
I will give him a shout! I am going to need a harness done by someone if it is worth the total package cost. Otherwise I will build my own. However if i can get a package deal then thats way better. The Kia gauges are Can-Bus. I was still thinking dedicated Android Tablet or these http://www.plxdevices.com/

Originally Posted by wayfastwhitey08
I'm excited to see how this turns out...

I'm particularly interested in the motor mount situation and the transmission clearance...

does it look like the transfer case (once you have it in) might line up with the front diff assembly?

a body lift and knobby tires wouldn't be a huge loss if it came to that would it?
I think it'd actually be pretty awesome.
I dont have my transfer case. The "drop" is on the correct side. It shouldnt be too bad. The Kia is flanged on both of its sides so making an adapter for it is a piece of cake!
I would lift however I think it will need a more aggressive stance to be worth the wicked engine. Also to let the wife daily drive it... She is no stranger to "Driving like a man" though. She drove our 325i for 3 years lol. I just dont want to make an on ramp lane change while dumping the power to it and have it spin and or roll over.

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
So much for Kia's 10 year or 100K power train warranty. 100K isn't that hard nowadays.
Yeah, screw them and their fine print. I bought it with 7,000 miles. I was told it was just a dealer demo.... They told me i still have the warranty. When i called Kia they told me my car was owned by HERTZ RENT A CAR! Let me tell you how pissed i was!

Originally Posted by kainedogg
In for the unique build.
Hold on... it could get crazy...

Maybe not that crazy but.... maybe?

Originally Posted by atli126
way to go! LS saves another one!
LOL! Yeah!
Old 01-28-2014, 08:13 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So crazy. And that makes it worth following through on!
And......hell yeah supercharger!
Old 01-28-2014, 04:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have seen the LS swapped into the Genisis coupe, so this one should be cool.

Tuning in for the rest of the story.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:51 PM
On The Tree

Update...

Been getting parts in the mail...

Here is the brand new wiring harness from gmpartsnow.com

Here is the harness after pulling off all the loom, cutting out the power/fuse block plug, ground wiring, and removing a couple of the un-needed plugs. I still have more to go.

Ls3 GM Performance Parts "Loaded" manifold...

Now THATS a big mouth! Air? Om-Nom-Nom!!

Oil pan swap...
From the Vortec Truck Manifold to the Ls3 Corvette Manifold...

Here is the difference in pans... Need that clearance!

Here is the Vortec pickup tube...

Here is the Vette pickup tube...

Here is the pan all swapped over...

Cant wait to get it in! I need to get water pump bolts and trans bolts too.

Last edited by BadRabbit; 03-09-2014 at 10:15 PM.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,393 Likes on 879 Posts

Cool swap...but you do know that the pan is not an F-body pan, right?

Andrew
Old 03-12-2014, 07:44 AM
On The Tree

Andrew... yeah, my mistake. I never got to edit my post. I looked at my receipt real quick and mixed up 2 part descriptions.

It is a C6 Corvette wet sump pan. Lol
Old 03-22-2014, 09:17 PM
On The Tree

I have been a Kia master tech for a long time and wanted to LS swap a sorento, can't wait to see it done...usually we only see the guides go bad in the sedona (same engine).
Old 03-23-2014, 11:13 PM
On The Tree

Dude, this is the shiznit...i cant believe how it just about dropped in. Sucks on the canbus dash though, thats gonna be fun. How is the HVAC integrated? That straight forward ***** and a compressor request signal? Or does it have auto HVAC with a controller
Old 03-24-2014, 12:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In for more details. Love the build
Old 03-27-2014, 07:06 PM
4*4
Teching In

Updates?
Cool Swap!
Old 03-27-2014, 08:48 PM
On The Tree

Sorry for the LuL guys... I had to sell my LS3 oil pan... Which actually happened today. I will order my new pan ASAP. I also just got 220 ran to the garage so I am good to go for cutting and welding.
There will be more to come SOON! lol

Quick Reply: 2007 Kia Sorento - 6.0L Ly6 Vortec