Old 05-28-2015, 09:13 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default subscribed

Great Job
Old 06-02-2015, 02:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Awesome sleeper - Great job on everything. Looking forward to the video.
Old 06-18-2015, 02:01 PM
On The Tree

super cool.
Old 08-11-2015, 10:37 AM
On The Tree

I have a TON to update... I will get on it asap. I am almost done.

Just some teaser info for right now though...

The exhaust is completed to the muffler. Full true dual 3" to a Magnaflow X-Flow muffler. GTO shorty tuned length headers (the driver side fit perfect and cleared steering shaft but the damn passenger side somehow hit the frame. Even with ALL that room over there so i pizza cut the elbows, bent in the pipes and rewelded everything) For now i am doing turn downs at the mufflers to get it on the street. I will finish it after I can get more pipe. I burned through 2 45* bends, 2 180* bends, part of another 180*, 4 feet of pipe, and one 90* bend. I need a couple more 4 footers, a couple more U bends, and tips. 3" inlet tips arent cheap lol

Cooling system is done (radiator hoses and heater hoses as well). I just have to weld the lower radiator supports on. I lowered the radiator 2" last night so that the core support would fit and the radiator and everything would clear with no issues.

The shift linkage is done and works perfect. had to shorten the stock GM shift arm on the trans about 1/8". I also welded the GM arm end on the Kia shift cable to make connection tighter and easier. Works perfect and hits all gears on the Kia selector and the GM trans like a charm.

Got the Corvette throttle pedal installed. Had to cut, shorten, reshape, and reweld it to get it to fit right. The bottom 2 bolts fit perfect to the Kia body but had to drill a top hole. Looks sick in there. I also soldered the Kia plug to the GM pedal ASSY so that it wires directly to the Kia harness so i dont have to screw with wiring.

Shortened the rear drive shaft from the Kia and rewelded it together. I think I will end up killing it though.... When i cut it in half i was stunned to see its the same size and thickness as my exhaust pipe... thats scary. On a good note though the Jeep u-joints are the exact same size as the Kia's! So that means i can just order a specific length Jeep drive shaft and put the Kia rear axle flange on it and be done!!

I have a bunch more stuff tooo... just a little blah and my brain feels like its been in a blender LOL.

I still have to...
top off trans fluid (it reads full now but thats hard to believe)
fill x-fer case fluid
fill coolant system
finish repinning the second ECU plug
wrap some wires in loom
get a trans cooler line assy from somewhere... i thought i had it but i never got it with the trans... damnit!
Thats it... Its been a long road!
Old 08-11-2015, 02:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

I don't know when the switch happened, but I seem to remember the sorrento being little, like little-little, old rav4 type little.

Your sorrento is like normal little, like jimmy blazer little.

When I read the title, I was immediately thinking about my friend's ex girlfriend's tiny little sorrento, and how it would be AMAZING with an LS motor in it.

This is still very, very cool. Great perseverance.

As for the driveshaft and rear axle... Kill two birds with one stone and grab the dana44 and driveshaft from a jeep wrangler, rubicon or sahara trim models are sporting the d44 rear axles.
Old 08-12-2015, 08:46 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DavidBoren
I don't know when the switch happened, but I seem to remember the sorrento being little, like little-little, old rav4 type little.

Your sorrento is like normal little, like jimmy blazer little.

When I read the title, I was immediately thinking about my friend's ex girlfriend's tiny little sorrento, and how it would be AMAZING with an LS motor in it.

This is still very, very cool. Great perseverance.

As for the driveshaft and rear axle... Kill two birds with one stone and grab the dana44 and driveshaft from a jeep wrangler, rubicon or sahara trim models are sporting the d44 rear axles.
Are you sure your not thinking of the Kia Sportage? The Sorento was always this size... The 2007 was a mid-gen appearance change. Projector headlights, new tail lights, they also got rid of the 192hp 3.5L and went with the 262hp 3.8L (it's the Hyundai Genesis engine, which I had).
In 2010 they did a massive overhaul. It became a crossover and they ditched the body on truck frame design and went with a unibody design.
The wheelbase, length and width only increased from my generation.
I will be honest, the stock V6 was very peppy. I have beaten a few import kids in their cars with the Sorento. They rev up on the guy that looks their age in a "van" laughing at me because they are sacks of douche... Then when they get beaten they aren't laughing anymore.

As for the driveshaft... I will get a built one for sure. Running the NP231 case and the Kia having the same size u-joints I just need a custom length.
I am going to keep the rear axle until it breaks. It looks pretty stout honestly. It seems to look like a copy of the old Toyota axles. The housing splits the same way.
They stopped offering the manual trans in 2007 and they also introduced Automatic Stability Control, which my Kia has. If it didn't have ASC then my rear axle would have the factory Eaton LSD in it. I am actually currently looking for the Eaton Posi roght now. It will slide right into my housing. ASC doesn't work anymore anyway with the ECU change.... well it shouldn't work anymore.... never know, crazier things have happened.
Oh... also... i forgot, i would also be more on top of getting a D44 or something even bigger BUT the Kia axle ratio is 3.333:1 I have no idea where id get those gears for any other axle in order to match my front ratio.
Old 08-12-2015, 09:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Nice!
Old 08-12-2015, 02:08 PM
TECH Addict

You are correct. I was thinking of the Sportage.

Anyways, the corvette d44 rear end had 3.33 gears. I don't know if they would work in a jeep axle, but they exist.

Yukon gear also makes a 3.33 for the Ford 9" axle, as well.
Old 08-14-2015, 08:25 AM
On The Tree

You are correct. I was thinking of the Sportage.

Anyways, the corvette d44 rear end had 3.33 gears. I don't know if they would work in a jeep axle, but they exist.

Yukon gear also makes a 3.33 for the Ford 9" axle, as well.
Oh man!!! Your my savior buddy! I could bro-hug you but that would be strangely uncomfortable.... ok that's a lie, just can't bro-hug over wifi LMAO!
Thats perfect that the Ford 9 has 3.333 gear option. My friends come across them a lot. Plus they are really freaking stout from what i have heard. Honestly I know nothing about them. However i had a set of Ford dana 60s for my trail rig... 70s high pinion, kingpin, SnoFighter front axle... It weighed a TON! However it has 1/2 inch thick axle tubes. Offroaders drean. If the 9 inch is anything close to those I wont break them.
Old 08-14-2015, 08:48 AM
Teching In

This is such a cool swap. no one would ever expect it.
Old 08-14-2015, 12:23 PM
TECH Addict

You won't break even a halfway decent 9" axle. They are pretty legit... It's one of the few things Ford did right.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You won't break even a halfway decent 9" axle. They are pretty legit... It's one of the few things Ford did right.

That statement deserves to be highlighted.I've never had anything made by Ford,new or used,last.Ford transmissions are the number one failure I've had, and then unsolvable overheating problems.
Old 08-15-2015, 12:50 AM
On The Tree

I still owe you guys a huge info update on what all is done and what needs done...
In a nut shell i need the idler pulley bolt so i can install it and get a belt. Also need to wire in the alternator and fill the fluids. Oil is just synthetic oil change deal from Advance Auto but I also am an Amsoil dealer so I am changing it after driving it a little while to get rid of any crap in there.

Well here is a video for your viewing pleasures.....
(oh yeah, if anyone has a good suggestion for capturing the REAL epic sound of this thing and the magnaflow muffler please let me know!! My phone speaker sucks and so does the gopro)

Old 08-15-2015, 01:23 AM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That is bada$$!
Old 08-16-2015, 08:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

IDC, did you upgrade the springs yet?

Sounds great. I really dig sleepers. No need to flaunt what ya got. Well...... unless you're a attractive female and over 21 and have a nice body, lol
Old 08-16-2015, 12:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
IDC, did you upgrade the springs yet?

Sounds great. I really dig sleepers. No need to flaunt what ya got. Well...... unless you're a attractive female and over 21 and have a nice body, lol
I actually don't need to upgrade the springs. The LSx is actually lighter then the Kia stock engine. The front end is sitting 2" higher then the rear.
Old 08-16-2015, 12:18 PM
On The Tree

Well... you guys have asked for this video since the beginning...

Last edited by BadRabbit; 08-16-2015 at 12:33 PM.
Old 08-16-2015, 04:37 PM
Staging Lane

Old 08-16-2015, 04:51 PM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ha ha ha. What is your tire budget anyhow?
Old 08-16-2015, 06:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by sprech
Ha ha ha. What is your tire budget anyhow?
Tires... budget... eek... got any 17s i could have ;-)

Quick Reply: 2007 Kia Sorento - 6.0L Ly6 Vortec