Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 to LQ4 questions.

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 11:35 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 to LQ4 questions.

Ok I posted a few days ago in the internal engine forum, decided to come here as well. Googling around and using the search feature is answering a lot of my questions, but I have a few more that I can't seem to find a solid answer on. My LS1 is running great, but its time for a change. My end game is a 600rwhp street-strip car. I currently have a stock bottom end, and a built upper end. I was going to rebuild/build up the lower end in the coming months to try and accommodate a blower. It was then suggested to me to just swap blocks to an LQ4 as they can handle the boost better, with little to no modifications to the lower end (is this true?). After the pricing I've gotten using a healthy discount through my local chevy dealership I can get a LQ4 short block for a nice price. I've been looking at 01 and up blocks, but is there a specific year that people suggest for the block? I've heard something about the 05's being better due to stronger internals. Also, I already have the following on my car: TSP cam (233/239,.595/.603 113LLA), ported and polished 241 heads with Manley valves, trunioned rockers, and dual valve springs, as well as LS7 lifters and comp pr's. As far as I've read, I should be able to use all of that on the new block. Is that correct? I've also heard on a previous post of mine that the LS power steering pump will not bolt straight up on the LQ block, and I will have to drill/tap a hole for it. Is that true for the alternator as well? I want to use my LS drive assembly (alt, ps, balancer, etc.) Are there any modifications that I have to make? The last thing is that I cannot seem to get a solid answer on whether or not my MM6 trans and bellhousing will bolt to the LQ block. Some people have told me yes, and some things I have read say that the LQ block is missing a hole for the bellhousing. Any answers to my questions are GREATLY appreciated.

One final question: In the end I want to sell my LS1 short block as I would have no use for it after. It's in really good shape, and last time I had the heads off (about 8 months ago) the factory crosshatch was still in the cylinders, and they had very little wear. What would something like that go for?

I just want to make sure all of my bases are covered before I dive into this sideways. Just like anyone else, I would be extremely unhappy if I set up to do this and realized it wasn't going to work unless I drop another grand.

Thanks

-Chris
Old 12-12-2013, 09:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tl;Dr? Or am I asking stupid questions?
Old 12-13-2013, 09:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I think it's that, as you said, you've seen answers to all 50 of those questions already and have only given 9 hours or so for people to respond. Not sure how posting the answers again will make them any more legitimate than the last time they were posted, but here are a couple to get the ball rolling. Someone can correct me where I'm wrong.
If you are just swapping accessories over I'd think it would all fit; I've used the same truck stuff on an lq9, l92 and ls1. I think the drilling/ tapping comes when you are moving something for clearance reasons, could be wrong. I wouldn't worry about one mission hole for the trans either, but others might. I recall reading something about crank lengths being different but am not sure about the context in which it was being discussed. I'd be more concerned about making sure I had the right reluctor wheel on my crank than anything about bolt holes (I can drill a hole but I don't know how to swap a reluctor).
Maybe $800 for an ls1 short block?

Last edited by chuckd71; 12-13-2013 at 09:25 AM.

Quick Reply: LS1 to LQ4 questions.