Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

soldering gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 01:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default soldering gas tank

I have been searching online and cant find a definite answer. Lots of opinions on which type of solder is best.

I'm swapping the old filler neck onto my new spectra tank. Also need to bend up some 3/8" stainless line to make a vent line for it and solder that on as well.

Plan on using the little torch I used to remove both filler necks with.
Old 12-25-2013, 08:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What are you asking, what type of solder? I would assume any acid core like you get at a plumbing supply or home store.
Old 12-25-2013, 08:40 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
What are you asking, what type of solder? I would assume any acid core like you get at a plumbing supply or home store.
x2 on old school real lead solder with acid core.
Old 12-25-2013, 09:21 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

silver solder for me
Old 12-25-2013, 04:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
That's what Im asking...which type of solder lol.

I have seen topics on soldering a new filler neck back into a tank. Some say silver, others say acid core etc. Then there are a few that say if you dont get all the flux out when using acid core it will begin corrode etc.
Old 12-25-2013, 04:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 98 Likes on 68 Posts

Tig weld it on there and it will never crack or move. It will make you sleep better at night too.
Old 12-25-2013, 04:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by aknovaman
Tig weld it on there and it will never crack or move. It will make you sleep better at night too.
I agree 100%. Find someone good who is used to making tanks or things that need to be pressurized or hold liquid.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Silver solder is more of a form of brazing. You need an oxy acetylene torch to pull that off. Regular solder is probably a better choice because it will put less heat into the tank.

Datsun soldered the tank penetrations to my OEM tank. Held for over 40 years with absolutely zero problems. I wouldn't hesitate to solder a tank with acid core solder. Just make sure you get everything absolutely clean and a good fit before you start, then use pressurized air and soap solution to check for leaks when you are done. You will need to do that whatever way you go anyway. Soldering will just allow you to do it your self with a cheap propane torch.

If you are uncomfortable doing it yourself a radiator shop would be happy to solder it for you.

Quick Reply: soldering gas tank