Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intake options?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 09:55 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake options?

I'm kinda' new to this world of LS engines and I've learned a lot just lurking around the forums here but one thing that has eluded me is what other options exist, if any, are there for intake manifolds when swaping a truck engine into a vehicle that doesn't have clearance for the truck intake?

Used car intakes (corvette, f body, cts, etc) are not as easy to find as I've seen posted in the forums. That is unless I'm looking in the wrong places.
Are the harnesses and ecu's different from car to truck? If I get a truck engine and plan on swapping the intake should I even bother with the truck harness and ecu?

With the popularity of these swaps you'd think someone out there would make an intake that uses the truck injectors, throttle body, etc. but is low profile like a car intake for these swaps.

I'm looking into swaping a 6.0 into my '72 Nova. From what I've read here the truck intake will fit and I'm ok with that. My buddy on the other hand has a '69 Camaro who wants to do the same thing and we know that the truck intake won't fit.

Any suggestions?
Old 01-06-2014, 11:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Shave the tabs off of the top of the truck intake, that'll give you a couple inches of clearance. Car intakes are plentiful in the classifieds section and are all over eBay.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:33 PM
TECH Resident

LS1 intakes are pretty easy to come by. You will need injectors and rails, but the truck throttle body will bolt up (DBC only).
Old 01-06-2014, 09:22 PM
Teching In

DBC? What about the harness and ecu?
Old 01-06-2014, 11:14 PM
TECH Resident

DBC = Drive by cable. An old-style mechanical throttle body. Truck engines used them till 03ish. I believe the drive by wire stuff has a 4 bolt flange, vs the 3 bolt for DBC.

Car/truck harnesses and ecms are not the same, but the ECM can be flashed with a car tune. You will likely need to rework whatever harness you end up with anyway, so go with the truck stuff to keep costs down.

Car injectors have a different connector than the truck injectors. They are EV1 style connectors that are easy to find in boneyards. Any port-injected GM product from the 90s has the correct connector.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Not all drive by cable setups use the 4 bolt throttle body... You can find 6.0 trucks with drive by wire in 2000 and I have a friend with a Canadian built 2001 5.3 drive by wire truck even though many were cable driven for that year. Some vans used cable throttle bodies longer than other vehicles.

Cars, trucks and vans use the same physical ECM. Like the throttle bodies, the part numbers and interchangeability varies by application and year.

Truck injectors are physically shorter by 1/2" (13mm). Fuel injector plugs vary by year and application (flex fuel, non flex, etc.) and most are different than cars. Car injectors will not fit a truck manifold without modifying the intake. Truck injectors on a car intake will require aftermarket fuel rails.

All drive by wire systems on Gen III engines require a TAC module to interface between the electronic pedal, PCM and throttle body. You need ALL these parts to make the system work. You will have less drama if you get all the parts from the same vehicle (trust me on this). Some intermixing of drive by wire parts can be done, however most non-factory combinations require editing the code that runs the PCM. This can NOT be done within HP Tuners or EFI Live at this time and is NOT practical for anyone outside the most advanced calibrators.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Easiest thing to remember is like life: KISS (keep it simple, stupid!)

If what you want to run is a 5.3 with a 4L60e, grab up a matched pair with harness and computer so it is all ready to run after flashing the engine computer and wiring up the fuse block for stand alone.

If you don't want the headaches of efi and all the stuff involved, go carb!! The swap over is straight forward, usually does not require anything from the long block to be opened (block, heads, front timing assembly stuff) and can be done in about 2 days taking your time and having everything already together. They have complete swap over kits on ebay for $950 {}.

Biggest factor in that decision is the transmission. You gonna run old school (turbo 350 or 400) or go with the electronic age. It can be done but requires a couple components for the trans to work properly. Trans controller module, TPS installation kit that puts a throttle sensor on your carb, stuff along those lines.

Damn I have picked up a LOT since coming on here in march......

Best thing to remember is if you get stuck, ASK!!! Search first, then ask if you cant find a satisfactory result to your problem. And if you keep your build posted up on here fro progress, I PROMISE, the guys on here will give you the information and several suggestions to keep you rolling along on your project.

Welcome to the forums, and rock on with your project man.. Now get some pictures up here when you decide what you are gonna do.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Furball
My buddy on the other hand has a '69 Camaro who wants to do the same thing and we know that the truck intake won't fit.

Any suggestions?

Just curious, but how did you reach this decision? Lots of things can be modified from oil pan height to motor mounts, even how far down in the crossmember it sits by modifying the crossmember.

Tons of options, although some not as easy as others.

just do a search on ebay for LS intake. 4461 results!! Heck there was an intake of an 02 LS1 in Hawaii for $115 plus shipping cost. But now, it costs a lot to slow boat that thing to the USA and that shipping charge to MY zip is $47..
Old 01-07-2014, 08:03 AM
Teching In

We're both aiming for driveability and fuel mileage.
As far as fitment we're trying to go as bolt in as possible.
I can fab up anything, I just don't want to if I can get away with it.
These swaps have been going on long enough that the parts are available
to throw these things in either of our cars, it's the details we're trying to iron out beforehand.
Myself, I'm keeping it simple. 6.0 truck motor, clean it and chuck it in there.
My buddy, wants to swap the intake or just go LS1. The draw to the truck motors is that the later ones (LY6, L96, L92) are making more power/torque than the LS1, and are a little easier to find nearby.

That raises another question. Would the LY6, L96, and L92 use an LS3 intake?
Old 01-07-2014, 08:12 AM
Teching In

Ok. I'm a moron. I must have been searching wrong. Found a whole bunch.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:39 AM
On The Tree

That raises another question. Would the LY6, L96, and L92 use an LS3 intake?
The LY6/L92 use the LS3 style intake with square ports. The truck TB will bolt directly to the LS3 intake. If you get an LS3 intake, get one with the fuel rail and injectors already on it so you're not wasting money piecing that together.

I got mine for $300 from a shop that swapped a supercharger onto an engine the day the car was bought at the dealer.

Check with some of the turn key engine outfiters like Schwanke, CBM, Turnkey Engine Supply, ect. They might have take-off intakes sitting around. Of course there's always Ebay.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

For an LS1 intake, check local craigslist. I've bought 2 locally for about $40 each, that included, rails, bolts, and seals.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

1" setback mounts and Holley's new F Body swap pan. The new pan is very shallow in the front and allows you to mount the engine lower. Setback mounts keep it as far back as possible and the intake under the highest part of the hood.

Truck intake should fit fine.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:26 PM
Teching In

On the Camaro?
Old 01-07-2014, 04:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

On the Camaro?
This 67 camaro belongs to another forum member. Stock truck intake/accessories.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just posted an LS6 intake in the for sale section...
Old 01-09-2014, 10:31 AM
Teching In

OK here's what I located.
'10 L96 6.0 dropout (harness, ecu, pedal) with 30K
LS3 intake with injectors and rails.

Before I pull the trigger, what will I need to make that intake work on that engine?
Old 01-09-2014, 02:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://carphotos4.cardomain.com/imag...8559_large.jpg
Old 01-09-2014, 10:19 PM
Teching In

That's a really cool wagon but I'm not sure how that pertains to my last question.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

That is a truck motor and mounting assembly in there and he only has the cowl hood of 2 inches because of the alternator and that way overpriced holley intake.

Quick Reply: Intake options?