Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 DOD VVT- keeping them with a swap?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 09:02 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3 DOD VVT- keeping them with a swap?

Start of with my boss wants me to do a swap into his 87 Monte Carlo. Found a good deal on a 2008 5.3/4l60e but realized it has DOD and VVT. Trying to do some digging, it seems most people delete these systems with doing cam/lifter and valley cover swap when doing the swap. Has anyone retained these when swapping into an older vehicle or would it become a problem going into a vehicle that is a different weight with a different load on the engine?
Old 01-09-2014, 09:12 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm only speaking from my own research standpoint from when I had an LC9 5.3 (DOD/AFM/VVT engine) and I dont think its going to really matter on the type of vehicle its in, the operations of DOD/AFM/VVT (if it has VVT) are all RPM/Load dependent so if anything, it will get much better mileage in a lighter weight vehicle than say an 08 Tahoe (obviously). Just make sure you have the correct ECM for that engine and see if someone can tune it alittle for the lighter weight car (shift points? DOD activation? Maybe they differ slightly when its operating in a heavier truck?) Just my .02
Old 01-09-2014, 10:47 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if the engine is out , or you plan on haveing the heads off for any reason , i would delete dod , vvt is beneficial , but the dod lifters have been problematic
Old 01-09-2014, 06:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 199 Likes on 99 Posts

In the Fiero world, there have been 2 LS4's swapped into 88 Fieros that kept DoD functional. Both swaps were 2005/2006 with the E40 ecm and both swaps also installed the BCM.

I tried to keep DoD with an 07 E67 ecm w/o installing the BCM and I could not get it to engage. The brake switch input for the LS4 using the E67 ecm is routed to the BCM first, then to the ECM through the CAN wires. Cruise as well as the case learn will not work either because the same brake switch input is missing.

So my guess is you can keep the AFM/VVT in a swapped vehicle, but be prepared to swap in the BCM as well as the ECM and TCM.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ijimmy
if the engine is out , or you plan on haveing the heads off for any reason , i would delete dod , vvt is beneficial , but the dod lifters have been problematic
I agree. Keep the VVT part but get rid of the DOD part. I would change the lifters to the LS3 style but they are pretty cheap anyways. Mine were $125 for the set.

Quick Reply: 5.3 DOD VVT- keeping them with a swap?