Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LMG on mid 90's 3/4-ton truck

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 06:02 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LMG on mid 90's 3/4-ton truck

So, I have a 4x4 truck with broken diesel engine. I could rebuild it, but it would be very, very pricey. Not to mention I'm kind of tired driving diesels. Now that E85 and CNG are easily available here, I'd like to swap LMG engine under the hood, as it's already E85 compatible (CNG stuff is also easily built to it). I've looked through ebay, and there are engines w/harness, ECM, go pedal etc., basically everything you need to make it a runner. Except for fuel tank sensor, which is needed to make flex fuel work, right?
What I keep thinking, do I get any advantage of the AFM/VVT on older truck? Does the AFM need input from the transmission to work correctly, like does it need to know which gear is on etc, or is it just load sensitive system. I know that you need to use correct oil with it, is there any other issues with the system?
Also about the trans control, can the TCC lock-up achieved with ECM, or do I need separate unit for the trans? At the moment I'm planning on using current hydraulic trans.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

All of the active management stuff, I believe needs inputs to be able to best manage fuel consumption. VVT, DoD, AFM, all of that is usually based on load rating and speed of the vehicle. Which is where the best tune for the combo comes in.

As far as trans controls, that is dependent upon compatibility with the engine computer you are installing.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:39 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems that there's just a couple of signals needed from the chassis. Found a good site to study:

http://lt1swap.com/E38%20ECM%20Connector%20Pinouts.htm

I've been thinking about transmission, and probably end up getting 4L80E, but for startes I'm keeping the curent trans. Unless I get good combo deal I can't pass

I was browsing through Rockauto catalog to see what kind of in-tank pump I need, and came across tank pressure sensor and FPCM. Tank sensor I believe can be disabled, as it seems be used only with EVAP? Took me awhile to figure out FPCM, as it wasn't named exactly like that on the catalog, but looks to be quite a clever system.

Quick Reply: LMG on mid 90's 3/4-ton truck