Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

70 camaro tt 427 pcm (standalone?reflash?)

Old 01-20-2014, 12:50 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 70 camaro tt 427 pcm (standalone?reflash?)

Hi all, Building a 04 LQ4 into a twin turbo 427 we hope to make around 1500 hp (now) on an aggressive tune.I was hoping for some help regarding the pcm. It is my understanding you normally have the computer reflashed to "standalone" then tune it, but I am very mixed up in the capabilities of the hp tuner software. Would it be necessary to send the pcm off if I have the hp tuner? Can it shut of vats emissions etc etc even with the wiring harness still made for "standalone"
I haven't bought any computer yet because I still don't know the basics of what is required.

To sum it up

1.What exactly does Standalone mean?
2.Can I get away with the bone stock computer using only the hptuner with a stripped harness
3. What computers are an option?
4. Is there a better option I have completely looked over (i.e.megasquirt, msd etc)
Old 01-20-2014, 08:53 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by David_56
Hi all, Building a 04 LQ4 into a twin turbo 427 we hope to make around 1500 hp (now) on an aggressive tune.I was hoping for some help regarding the pcm. It is my understanding you normally have the computer reflashed to "standalone" then tune it, but I am very mixed up in the capabilities of the hp tuner software. Would it be necessary to send the pcm off if I have the hp tuner? Can it shut of vats emissions etc etc even with the wiring harness still made for "standalone"
I haven't bought any computer yet because I still don't know the basics of what is required.

To sum it up

1.What exactly does Standalone mean?
2.Can I get away with the bone stock computer using only the hptuner with a stripped harness
3. What computers are an option?
4. Is there a better option I have completely looked over (i.e.megasquirt, msd etc)
If you have HPTuners, you should be able to do everything in-house, no need to send it out if you have the software, just need to know how to setup the PCM with the software.

1. Standalone means that you can literally drop it in almost anything, and it will literally standalone from your existing vehicle's harness. Technically most of the time when people swap these motors, they strip down their harness so it essentially runs the motor with no extra thrills like DoD, VVT-i, Emissions, etc.

2. Yes, you can get away with it, however anytime you push 1,500hp, why do you want to just get by, don't you want to be able to data log, and tune accordingly, IIRC the OEM PCM won't be able to to data log, but has the ability to be retuned, that is why most people tune on a dyno.

3. Just about any PCM that will run a Gen III/IV engine can be re-flashed, however it might be easier for you to find an LQ4 ECU that way you start with a base map for that motor, and with a MAF sensor, it can compensate for the larger cubes and turbos, however you will be limited to injector size and airflow. However, with twin turbos, you may want to ditch the MAF sensor, and upgrade to a 3-bar MAP. Just be careful you don't get a Gen III harness, and get a E38 PCM, as the harness will not plug into the E38 (Newer style PCM). I have a Gen IV harness repinned into a 02' Express (411 Red/Blue) PCM, so you can use a wide variety of years, just make sure the wiring controls everything you want, if your using a T56, make sure you get the harness for that transmission, otherwise you'll have to make a hybrid harness, otherwise a 6.0/4L80E will literally plug right in, and essentially comes as a standalone already.

4. The OEM PCM's are pretty hard to beat as they are cheap, readily available, and there is a fair amount of support for them. I spent a total of $200 on complete harness and PCM, where when I built my MS3/MSX3, it was over $500. There are a ton of options, but most people on here tend to run the OEM PCM and harness as it is a cheap/cost effective way to drop just about any LS motor into a vehicle.

If you can find someone who is really knowledgeable, it will pay itself dividends. Good luck.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:08 AM
Staging Lane

Holley EFI is the answer
Old 01-20-2014, 01:12 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Envy
If you have HPTuners, you should be able to do everything in-house, no need to send it out if you have the software, just need to know how to setup the PCM with the software.

1. Standalone means that you can literally drop it in almost anything, and it will literally standalone from your existing vehicle's harness. Technically most of the time when people swap these motors, they strip down their harness so it essentially runs the motor with no extra thrills like DoD, VVT-i, Emissions, etc.

2. Yes, you can get away with it, however anytime you push 1,500hp, why do you want to just get by, don't you want to be able to data log, and tune accordingly, IIRC the OEM PCM won't be able to to data log, but has the ability to be retuned, that is why most people tune on a dyno.

3. Just about any PCM that will run a Gen III/IV engine can be re-flashed, however it might be easier for you to find an LQ4 ECU that way you start with a base map for that motor, and with a MAF sensor, it can compensate for the larger cubes and turbos, however you will be limited to injector size and airflow. However, with twin turbos, you may want to ditch the MAF sensor, and upgrade to a 3-bar MAP. Just be careful you don't get a Gen III harness, and get a E38 PCM, as the harness will not plug into the E38 (Newer style PCM). I have a Gen IV harness repinned into a 02' Express (411 Red/Blue) PCM, so you can use a wide variety of years, just make sure the wiring controls everything you want, if your using a T56, make sure you get the harness for that transmission, otherwise you'll have to make a hybrid harness, otherwise a 6.0/4L80E will literally plug right in, and essentially comes as a standalone already.

4. The OEM PCM's are pretty hard to beat as they are cheap, readily available, and there is a fair amount of support for them. I spent a total of $200 on complete harness and PCM, where when I built my MS3/MSX3, it was over $500. There are a ton of options, but most people on here tend to run the OEM PCM and harness as it is a cheap/cost effective way to drop just about any LS motor into a vehicle.

If you can find someone who is really knowledgeable, it will pay itself dividends. Good luck.
Perfect thank you! Now I will just be searching the junkyards for a computer. What would be needed to make a data logging run? A separate device? I did a little search and found the egr/ ac mod and to monitor two banks Id guess youd have to wire them to a toggle to switch between banks. unless you used the ac and egr positions?

Last edited by David_56; 01-20-2014 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Did a little wideband reasearch
Old 01-20-2014, 11:25 PM
Teching In

One last quick question, about to buy a 09354896 computer, how much modification will the 04 truck harness need to plug in? running a Drive by cable

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 70 camaro tt 427 pcm (standalone?reflash?)