Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory Air with LS Swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 11:20 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory Air with LS Swap

Okay I've been looking high and low, and I can't find a answer to this. I'm looking to swap a LS1 into my 67 Camaro. This car has very good working factory air. So I have a few questions.

1. Will the motor fit with the factory air box in place?
2. If so can I run headers?
3. Any kind of information on keeping factory air?
Old 01-20-2014, 11:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

Yes, yes, and here ya go! https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...8-74-nova.html

I'm sure many combinations of mounts and headers will not work due to tube routing and motor placent, but the Dougs headers and adapters in the 1/2" setback position worked for me. If you can find headers with similar tube routing, I think slightly more forward positioning would be helpful for clearance. Depending on exactly where things end up you may have to make minor notches in the evaporator case, but that is fairly minor fiberglass work.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:43 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the info. I can't believe that more people haven't done this. How did yours turn out? Did you use all of the factory stuff, or did you mix it up with the newer stuff as discussed in your thread?
Old 01-20-2014, 03:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

I haven't finished mine yet, unfortunately. I know there are people out there who use the factory evaporator with Sanden compressors and larger/newer condensors. Some use POA eliminators which convert the system to orifice tube / clutch cycling. I have not entirely decided what I'll do about the POA valve but I did get a newer condenser from Vintage Air and will use the Denso compressor typical of the newer Silverados.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:42 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yes . you will need 2 new lines for the sanden compressor , a new dryer , and expansion valve , maybe a few other odds and ends , it would be nice located up on the passenger side
Old 01-20-2014, 06:37 PM
Teching In

I have bought a wrecked gto and my thoughts were to try to use as much as I could off of it. Is this possible? I also have corvette accessories that I think I'm going to use. That way I don't have to notch the frame and my compressor can be located up top with the holley bracket. Any suggestions on what I can use off of the gto? I've had 2 cars with vintage air and they didn't do as well as this converted factory system.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:46 PM
Staging Lane

Talking

Originally Posted by Harris1
Okay I've been looking high and low, and I can't find a answer to this. I'm looking to swap a LS1 into my 67 Camaro. This car has very good working factory air. So I have a few questions.

1. Will the motor fit with the factory air box in place?
2. If so can I run headers?
3. Any kind of information on keeping factory air?

Contact Bruce: Owner, 864 855 2694

www.hawksthirdgencamaro.com in Easley SC 2 hrs north of Atlanta off I 85.
He has S/S headers for all makes of camaro's that fit. They even custom build them.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-21-2014, 10:42 AM
Teching In

Thanks! I'll look them up.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:44 AM
Teching In

Has anyone had any experience with the texas speed swap headers? They are very budget friendly, and look well built.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make it work you will be much happier in the long run with a factory A/C setup. Just compare the size of the evaporator to a aftermarket one and you will see the difference. What they also do not tell you is that you have no fresh air only a recirc for both your heat and A/C. I am getting ready to go from a vintage air system back to a factory A/C so I can get fresh air through the system. I am going to use the factory box, ducts, etc. with a Camaro LS1 compressor. The evaporator and condenser will be a newer Camaro/Blazer setup. This will be the variable factory compressor. It looks like it will be cheaper and easier to just replace the evaporator to make it a newer orifice style A/C than to convert your existing one although it can be done.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

After quite a bit of research and trial and error I have swapped out the POA for the later style switch and of course changed to 134a. It worked with the POA, but seems cooler and more consistent with the upgrades.

Quick Reply: Factory Air with LS Swap