Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

aftermarket standalone VS Stock ecu

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 09:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aftermarket standalone VS Stock ecu

I am looking at swapping an LS into my car, and I'm still in the early planning stages. I just happen to have an extra standalone ecu (LINKecu g3 LEM) from an adandon project. What I'm wondering is, if I plan on eventually going to a turbo setup aiming for 600ish HP, am I better off running the standalone ecu or running a stock ecu/harness and tuning with HP tuner? I'm mostly worried about the LINKecu having to run batch fire w/ wasted spark because it only has 4 injector drivers. Will this greatly affect the drivability and performance?
Old 01-23-2014, 10:52 AM
Teching In

Should this be in a different section?
Old 01-23-2014, 11:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm not a professional tuner and this is only my opinion based on my experience...

I like the factory PCM's because they are incredibly capable AND have the ability to control the transmission, not to mention fans and a whole bunch of other cool stuff for a street car.

I have HP Tuners and I've been using it on my cars for a few years and for the money it's hard to beat a factory PCM. I've seen several people using them on some high horsepower builds with no issues. I know at least one person using the flex fuel option to allow them to change fuels on the fly and I have seen and know of several high power turbo cars running them.

The only limit I'm aware of is you run out of spark map at 8000 RPM and a 3 bar OS is the highest I'm aware of available from HP Tuners.

So if you plan on turning more than 8000 RPM (why?) or plan on running more than around 44 pounds of boost (WTF?), you'll it a wall within the stock PCM's capabilities. I'm sure there are other limits but those are at the top of my head.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

"I'm mostly worried about the LINKecu having to run batch fire w/ wasted spark because it only has 4 injector drivers. Will this greatly affect the drivability and performance?"

Nothing wrong with batch firing the injectors. I see no problem with the wasted spark either. I don't think it will greatly affect the drivability or the performance.

I have no knowledge of the LINKecu so I can't help you there.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:25 PM
TECH Regular

I would first consider your budjet and see what fits best... then-

I would consider what transmission you are going to be using. If your going to be using electronic controlled trans (4l80e,ect) I would go with the factory PCM.

Im not sure what tuning software runs the LINKecu but I would make sure it has all the controls I need for a boost build.

Depending on if you plan on doing the tuning yourself or having it professionally tuned, I would consider who is going to tune it and what tuning program they are most comfortable with.

Without a doubt I would read everything here- https://sites.google.com/site/sloppywiki/

Matt/Denmah has layed out almost everything that one would need to research when building a DIY LS turbo engine...

Quick Reply: aftermarket standalone VS Stock ecu