Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bruisr - 1968 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 02:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bruisr - 1968 Camaro

Yup I know Bruisr isn't spelled correctly, but hey it was the only available plate option here! Ha!

When I purchased this car it was exactly what I wanted. A running, driving, decently modified car! I wanted something I could buy and drive day 1 while picking up mods along the way to get it how I wanted it. So for this purchase, mission accomplished.

I quickly decided I wanted to go fuel injection with an LS swap so that's what everything will be based around. The use of this car will be street, autocross, and road courses (everything from HPDE's to time attacks). The only time it'll see the drag strip is when I go to just hang out with everyone else. Sure I'll probably do a few passes but nothing crazy, not setting the car up for that.

Car as it sits now:
  • Eldelbrock TEC 200 Aluminum Heads
  • COMP Cam 12-612-5 Solid Lifter Cam
  • Roller Rockers
  • Ceramic Coated Headers
  • Holley Competition 750 cfm
  • MSD Ignition
  • Super T10 4 Speed Transmission
  • Center Force Clutch
  • 8.5 10 bolt posi 3.73 from 81 WS6
  • Aluminum rear support cover
  • Subframe connectors
  • QA1 Adjustable Aluminum shocks
  • 6pt Custom roll cage
  • Hotchiks 2" drop leafs and Coilovers
  • Hilwig 1 1/8" front sway bar
  • Quick ratio 12.7:1 power steering box IROC HX box aka hot OEM setup
  • All new suspension & body bushings
  • Front & Rear LS1 Disc Brakes w/ Hawk pads
  • BMW Parallel wheels 18x8.5/9.5
  • Autometer Tach & Speedo
  • OEM Forged Crank
  • OEM polished rods
  • TRW pistons w/ floated wrist pins
  • Balanced rotating assembly
  • ARP Head Bolts & Fasteners
  • Scatter Shield
  • Kenwood stereo and amp
  • Redone interior

Staging Lane

I found a local LQ4 for sale so I decided to pick it up. My goal is to go boost with this, wasn't set on turbo or supercharger at this point, so I figured this would be a good start.

I took my wagon and drove 1.5hr to pick her up. 2005 with 64k miles

After speaking with an engine builder he's confirmed my thoughts of going aluminum. He knows my driving ability and even currently races with me in on the karting scene. He says I'll for sure notice the weight difference on the front of the car, welp that was short lived! Out with the LQ and in with an LS! I tossed up a FS/FT thread and came across someone who was looking for an iron block and currently has an aluminum LS6, woot! We are currently in the process of working out shipping but we're trading short blocks.

I plan to still use my 317 heads and toss some parts in them, not sure what yet. I'll want to go with a custom cam for boost and of course some springs as 7500rpm is desirable for me. It's current disassembled but I think that'll be fine as a stroker kit is in my future.

Staging Lane

So what are my plans? LS swap, supercharger, upgrade rear end suspension, possible aftermarket front subframe at some point and I'm leaning towards leaving manual brakes vs swapping to power. Anyway I've seen a ton of build threads and people don't seem to list specific parts. I'm going to try and list a part number and link to what I'm planning on using. If you have any opinions as to why I shouldn't use what I've listed, or have better parts that I should use then by all means let me know! I'm new to the LS world and to muscle cars in general!

My LQ4 didn't come with an ECU or harness so keep that in mind. The LS6 is just a short block so no ECU/harness with it either. Below are the motor parts I’m leaning towards. After speaking with my engine builder and Texas-Speed it’s agreed that the 10:1 range is where we’ll want to be, going supercharger too. So this setup is trying to create this. I know Texas-Speed offers a stroker kit, just trying to list out part numbers here. The internals should be a 383 stroker setup, correct me if I'm wrong.

More parts for the swap and other upgrades:
For parts where there are no Part #'s or I'm undecided again feel free to make suggestions. However, if you do please back it up with a reason and a link if possible!

An engine builder will do my machine work and assemble the short block and I'm no welder so mini-tubs will have to be done by someone else as well. I plan on doing most other things myself or with anyone willing to help.

Thankfully my wife is into cars as well and loves muscle cars. She actually pushed me to pick this car up, yesss!!! This isn't going to be a speedy build and will take some time to accumulate parts but hopefully I'll be able to keep a steady stream and get to know my UPS guy even better!

Last edited by redefined; 02-12-2014 at 12:43 PM.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:44 PM
Staging Lane

This is also another 'swap kit' I've been looking at instead of all of the Holley parts. Trying to find some reviews http://www.brphotrods.com/products/1...cts/index.html
Old 01-29-2014, 02:57 PM
On The Tree

Nice Build in Progress For Sure the Callies Rods I believe come with ARP rod Bolts or Something equivilent. Definitely am subscribing to this build thread.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:12 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Whiskeyboy84
Nice Build in Progress For Sure the Callies Rods I believe come with ARP rod Bolts or Something equivilent. Definitely am subscribing to this build thread.
Correct, I believe they come with ARP 2000 bolts.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by redefined
This is also another 'swap kit' I've been looking at instead of all of the Holley parts. Trying to find some reviews http://www.brphotrods.com/products/1...cts/index.html
Hey redefined, since you paid such specific attention to the selection of an aluminum block due to it's weight effects on the front of your car, you should be aware that the BRP 1st-gen kit places the engine high and far forward in the subframe with a more severe installed engine inclination angle than you find on a bone-stock 1st-gen (AKA increased U-joint working angles). This would be counter to what you are trying to achieve if I follow you correctly. The crossmember in the kit also does not provide for the highest amount of exhaust routing possible under it, so you are going to be making a compromise in ground clearance to use it. I wanted to point these characteristics out so you can weigh them against the positive aspects of the BRP kit provides, which is primarily to allow you to use the stock low-mount 4th-gen F-body alternator and A/C compressor. If the ability to do that is one of the primary goals on your list list, then the BRP kit would work well for you.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:08 PM
Staging Lane

Toddoky thanks for the info! I'm still strongly leaning towards a slew of Holley parts! There seem to be 100 different engine mounts for them as well depending on position haha. The one I have linked above I'm not even sure if it's the correct one as it doesn't list placement like some of the other ones do.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts

The Autokraft oil pan is also very popular with trap doors/baffles.

Nice looking project.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:27 PM
FormerVendor

So what are my plans?
Once you go Stainless......... you never

Old 01-30-2014, 02:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Default Correct Hooker part numbers

The Hooker headers listed in your post (2288HKR) are not the new ones just released from Hooker and therefore do not contain the new features I've been or will be referring to on this thread. The new 1-7/8" Hooker 1st-gen F-body/3rd-gen Nova headers are part numbers are 2276HKR for painted mild steel, 2276-1HKR for silver ceramic mild steel, 2276-3HKR for black ceramic mild steel and 2276-7HKR for the full-feature stainless versions as shown in the first photo here. The Hooker 2.5" and 3" exhaust systems are both stainless steel. If you are going to be lowering your car or running the stock power steering box, the photos you're going to be most interested in is the two showing those clearances obtained by various products. The last shots here are the ground clearance and steering box clearances obtained with the Hooker components (1-7/8" headers and 3" exhaust system). Maybe the reps from the other suppliers here will help you out and also post up similar shots of their components so you can make an apples to apples comparison of these critical characteristics.
Attached Thumbnails Bruisr - 1968 Camaro-large2276-7_2of3.jpg   Bruisr - 1968 Camaro-img_2375.jpg   Bruisr - 1968 Camaro-img_1833.jpg  
Old 01-30-2014, 02:38 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Toddoky
Maybe the reps from the other suppliers here will help you out and also post up similar shots of their components so you can make an apples to apples comparison of these critical characteristics.

VIDEO:

Old 01-30-2014, 02:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by StainlessWorks
Alright, a willing adversary...let the duel begin. Looks like I've got you beat with collector ground clearance, how about a shot of your X-pipe and muffler ground clearance and your clearance around the stock power steering box.
Attached Thumbnails Bruisr - 1968 Camaro-img_2384.jpg  
Old 01-30-2014, 02:48 PM
Staging Lane

Good posts guys! That SS/Carbon engine bay is sexy! I'm far more performance based than show/looks but both never hurt! Lets not turn this thread into a dual though guys, haha!!! I'd like to NOT run a power box but that'll have to stay until I do the front subframe most likely.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Good posts guys! That SS/Carbon engine bay is sexy! I'm far more performance based than show/looks but both never hurt! Lets not turn this thread into a dual though guys, haha!!! I'd like to NOT run a power box but that'll have to stay until I do the front subframe most likely.
Yeah, this is all in good fun...we can start the duel on pricing, options and compatibility in a bit.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:05 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Toddoky
Looks like I've got you beat with collector ground clearance, how about a shot of your X-pipe and muffler ground clearance and your clearance around the stock power steering box.
I'll look for a pic of our headers on a stock subframe car..... the ground clearance pic I have is on the "Evade" Camaro that had a aftermarket sub-frame which lowers the center of gravity a bit....
Old 01-30-2014, 04:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by StainlessWorks
I'll look for a pic of our headers on a stock subframe car..... the ground clearance pic I have is on the "Evade" Camaro that had a aftermarket sub-frame which lowers the center of gravity a bit....
Understood, we'll be here.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:10 PM
TECH Junkie

To fill in some technical/availability data on the Hooker components here's the following info:

1. Mid-length headers available in both 1-3/4" and 1-7/8" primaries
2. Long-tube headers available in both 1-3/4" and 1-7/8" primaries
3. All the Hooker headers are installable with T56, T56 Magnum,TH350,
TH400, 2004R, 700R4, 4L60-4L75 or 4L80E/4L85 transmissions.
4. The Hooker 1st-gen exhaust systems are stainless steel and available in 2.5" or 3" versions and include all hangers and clamps. No cutting or welding is required to install the 3" system; the 2.5" system requires two cuts to install an adapter kit that mates it to the 3" collectors of the Hooker headers. They can both be purchased for under $800.
5. All the new Hooker 1st-gen components are compatible with the stock A/C evaporator case (even with the stock valve cover mounted coil brackets installed), SB and BB heater cores and the stock OE LS spark plug wires with the metal heat shields.
6. You can also install an automatic dipstick tube in-between the passenger side cylinder head and the firewall (1.5" nominal clearance)with the positioning provided by the Hooker engine mounting brackets and transmission crossmembers.
7. The Hooker components are designed with and maintain a 3 degree engine inclination angle and require no cutting to the floor to install.

Let me know if there's any other useful info I can provide you with.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:00 AM
FormerVendor

Not a great pic, but here is one courtesy of Jeremy@PalmettoPerformance.com:

Old 01-31-2014, 08:59 AM
TECH Junkie

QUOTE=StainlessWorks;17987223]Not a great pic, but here is one courtesy of Jeremy@PalmettoPerformance.com:

[/QUOTE]

[IMG][/IMG]

The Hooker collector ground clearance...

What size primaries do you guys offer for this application? Do you have exhaust system ground clearance and stock power steering box clearance photos?

Your build quality is nice.

Quick Reply: Bruisr - 1968 Camaro